PDA

View Full Version : Does the UK CAA care?

Banzai Eagle
11th Jun 2007, 17:27
This weeks Flight Intl, Letters

"I am a commercial pilot working for a low cost Company, and have been allocated two home bases: Birmingham and Manchester.
Under these rules it is up to me to make my way to either of these bases and
to be there on time even if when on minimum rest (12hrs off).
The return journey between these bases can easily be up to 4 hrs, and so I have just 8hr at home in which to eat,sleep and recuperate before setting off back to work.
We now have two types of Pilots: those who travel and are tired all the time, and those who pay for Hotels are are poor all the time. This situation is intolerable, so how does the UK CAA allow this to happen. Does it care about safety?"

And the definition of an "Alternate Base" as described in CAP371
This is designed to allow crews to report at an alternate base allowed within an are allowing 90 mins travelling time to both the main base of employment and that alternate base. A notional and additional duty time, counted as positioning shall not then apply; given the following conditions.

Crewmembers shall nominate a place of rest within the above area.

The duty will commence and the max FDP will be based on the report time and airport notified to the start of the previous rest period.

Whilst not a Flight safety issue, operators may find that such a variation is most effectively implemented on a voluntary basis

Operators wishing to apply for the variation, valid for an initial period of six months should contact the assigned CAA FOI

My questions;

Did name and address supplied sign up for a dual base.
If yes, what's the problem, or is it me?.

Dual base between MAN and BHX is pushing it, 90 mins between each on a good day...Slightly surprised the CAA would allow it esp for a loco

ZeBedie
11th Jun 2007, 18:04
I'm truly shocked - RAC route planner shows 1h 36m by the quickest route and the traffic can be terrible, of course.

Further proof the the CAA are utterly spineless and thoroughly captured by the operators.

matt_hooks
11th Jun 2007, 18:50
Reading it properly...

And the definition of an "Alternate Base" as described in CAP371
This is designed to allow crews to report at an alternate base allowed within an are allowing 90 mins travelling time to both the main base of employment and that alternate base.

Seems to suggest that you can be 90 minutes from the main base AND from the alternate base, meaning a 3 hour distance between them.

But still, depending on when duty starts trying to get to Brum or Man within 90 minutes, even from the local area, would be hopeful!

Mr Angry from Purley
14th Jun 2007, 17:11
matt

No, the idea is that your meant to live in Stoke on Trent half way between MAN and BHX. Many Airlines put it to good use, TFLY have a seasonal base at LPL, crewed with MAN staff, most of whom live in LPL hence the CAA line on voluntary basis. It's meant to benefit those that live next to Airfield X but are based at XX 90 mins away.
Other examples of dual basing are EMA-BHX / GLA-EDI these are fine . There was a previous moan about Jet 2 MAN and BLK not sure if this is the case anymore.
I fully support the idea of dual basing as long as its voluntary. I suspect in this case the Pilot has signed up for dual basing on offer of employment (so in my view voluntary) lives miles away from one or the other airport possibly in the opposite direction then once in has taken exception to it. As any loco Pilot will tell you, living any distance from base is a killer, let alone two.

I used to run a dual base BHX/EMA, main base BHX, but all the Pilots lived at EMA, worked a treat except I forgot to mention it to the CAA, aagh more tea n biscuits :\

silverhawk
15th Jun 2007, 13:10
Yes, it's still a bone of contention for the affected staff at Jet2 Man/Blk.

Pizzaro
15th Jun 2007, 13:26
Any idea which airline this is ?

Regards P.

Piltdown Man
15th Jun 2007, 13:50
You might like to tell us what BALPA's position on this is - you are a member, aren't you?

PM

World of Tweed
15th Jun 2007, 14:07
The TFLY LPL arrangement that you mentioned no longer exists as the Crew base at LPL has now closed.

Voluntary it was - but, actually, in the first couple of seasons the Taxi time was still counted before and after the flight but just appeared as Own Way Travel on ones roster - also a cushty £40 quid own way travel payment went in for each flight operated at LPL to represent the cost saving of travelling from MAN using your own means. Great if you lived in Garstang!

This payment was later removed as LPL became a bona-fide Summer Base last year (i think). Only cabin crew were based there and all FTLs started and finished there for LPL based crews. They were rostered solely from LPL and if MAN were rostered I believe that their FTL would have started from LPL.

unablereqnavperf
15th Jun 2007, 15:37
The simple answer to this problem is leave this sh1t company that youy are working for! Your terms and conditions of employment have nothing to do with the CAA they are a regulator not your agony aunt! If enough pilots stop working for them it will make them change their minds. Easyjet had a similar attitude then over 300 pilots left they now seem to have had their attitude corrected. Voting with feet is the best way to vote!

Mr Angry from Purley
15th Jun 2007, 17:44
Captain
Can only see the Company, not the CAA being held for duty of care.
At the end of the day as unabler says the Pilot can leave. I commuted 7 years from XXX to XXX, my decision and I certainly didnt bitch n moan about it. :\

neil armstrong
15th Jun 2007, 18:30
Mr Angry,
you know that the bitching and moaning is a pilots thing ,you would need some more training to get good at it.

Neil