PDA

View Full Version : MD / Hughes 500 info

slim40
11th Jun 2007, 15:10
Hi all,

After having just passed my PPL(H) I'm really keen on doing a rating on the MD500. I know they're very expensive to hire, but after having done an hour in one at Biggin Hill last year, I was hooked! Apart from the rarity of these things in the UK, I haven't found any technical info or general reading matter on them either. Does anyone know if there are any good publications to compliment the POH? Something like 'The Bell 206 Book' by Phil Croucher, would be great.

Many thanks
Si

Hughes500
11th Jun 2007, 18:32
I run a couple of them and am instructor and examiner. Only problem is I am in the sw. But I know one you can hire in Northampton

Andrew

slim40
12th Jun 2007, 08:14
Hi Andrew,

I spoke to you about month ago, I'm going to Cornwall at the end of July, and was looking to hire one. I contacted the guy who's number you gave me and he put me onto the owner of a 500E. Although he seemed happy to talk to me about hiring, he was (understandably) nervous as my mere 62 hours don't count for much!

Thanks again
Simon

catseye
12th Jun 2007, 11:58
Andrew,
anycomments on the MD cost models on the web? Are they realistic when you can get spares.

The Eye. :ok:

DennisK
14th Jun 2007, 20:06
Hi slim40,

PM me with a snail mail address and I'll forward a copy of the pilot's course manual I picked up when doing the Culver City factory course with Doc Rast in the mid 1980's.

I'll ask for a small donation for my scholarship though.

Best wishes.

Dennis Kenyon.

JTobias
15th Jun 2007, 09:15
Hi Guys I'm interested too. I operate an Enstrom 480 with some mates and we're very seriously toying with the idea of moving on to the MD500e. I have never flown one so would love to get my hands on one for an hour. I am due to be test flying a 520N shortly, but suspect that this is not the a/c we would go for.

I may just get in touch with those of you have offerred help/info.

Joel

slim40
15th Jun 2007, 10:59
Joel,

When I spoke to Andrew he mentioned that the main difference with the notar is that the tail is not quite as responsive as one with conventional blades- a bit more like driving a boat, if you like?
Even though I'm a rookie in heli's, I just know that the 500 is THE machine to fly! I flew the 500D at BHH after only 17 hrs in an R22, but it just felt fantastic- looks really cool too! Now if I could just someone at Conington to buy one...

PS Where are you based?

Si

JTobias
15th Jun 2007, 20:51
I've also heard that the 500e is the one to buy. I recently had a 5 minute chat with Jeremy Paxton who owns G-MRRR and he has an amazing machine. I'm working towards getting my hands on one for a flight and then who knows.

Based at Manchester Barton EGCB.

Joel

heli_spy
16th Jun 2007, 01:07
500's are well cool. Take one to the pub, land in the beer garden and see what I mean!
Could not justify SFH costs though now though. Unless someone paid me:)
Did all my 500 flying at Biggin Hill Helicopters,back in the late 90's. C and E models. Cannot rate them highly enough.
Bill is not soft. He gave me one hour for free pre PPL and I ended up spending £10K plus on 500 time!
BTW it was 20 hours turbine time before you could SFH though.(And pay the excess on the insurance. For peace of mind).
Fly safe.

slim40
16th Jun 2007, 17:49
A 500 in a beer garden! Tables, chairs, parasols, and punters getting blown into the car park by your downwash- awesome!
I know what you mean though, I also fly (well did until I sold it a couple of months ago) a flexwing microlight, and that caused quite a bit of interest when 2 of us landed at a pub (Sportsman) in the Peak District last summer. They'll be blown away by a 500, but for now I'll go back in the R22 and see how that registers on the 'wowometer'. The landlord, Mike, is into aircraft so he clears the adjacent playing field of people when he sees us in the circuit!
My wife likes the 500 too, she sat in the back when I went up with Bill at BHH last year. Took her up on my first SFH flight today in the R22, and one of her first comments when we were in the air was, 'It's not the 500 is it.' Uh oh, another justification for emptying the bank!

cheers
Si

Hughes500
16th Jun 2007, 18:16
Havent seen many of the cost models on the web so cant help. What I can say that having owned 7 different 500's and a couple of 206's and run a gazelle the 500 was way cheaper.
Only problem I have had with spares was a main rotor drive shaft a couple of years ago. Now dont have a problem. To give an idea of cost my last 50 hour was £ 200, average annual over past 10 years has been under £ 5k not including component changes. Insurance is about £1 k a month on £ 300k machine with xs at £ 1k and betterment bougt off ( that is for anyone to fly, extra for loadlifting ! )
Evey 500 I have ever bought has been sold for more than I paid for it - how many helis can you say that about !
Yes it is small in the back but how often do you fly in the back and how many machines will achieve 130kts in the cruise with full fuel and pax and still have power to spare. With 2 up half fuel in a hover you can achieve 2000fpm climb straight up !
They are great little machine and like all others they have their disadvantages, its horses for courses. If you want a machine that will pull you out of the mire when you get something wrong this is the machine for you. Cant beat it for fun

JTobias
16th Jun 2007, 18:47
Hughes 5OO,

Just out of interest, what are you operating now (and from where)?

Joel

bladewashout
16th Jun 2007, 19:21
Info on 500e in Northampton would be greatly appreciated, pm if you could.

There was a write up in the HCGB magazine recently, and they look like a great way to go.

I'm just toying with buying an R44, a 500e is a bit too much, but I can see the possibilities in a few years. I have no turbine time but would be happy to do 20 hours training or dual to get there.

I think they list at about $900k new, any info on what the costs are for used machines?

BW

JTobias
17th Jun 2007, 22:11
Hi there,

I'm not sure about the cost on a new one, but I'm fairly sure that a used one will go for anywhere between £275k for a good 500d, and £375k upwards for a decent 500e. They're also few and far between.

I monitor the boards for used ones just to keep pace with the market and I don't see them come up that often. I think the article in the HCGB magazine typifies the lengths you might have to go to, to get a decent one.

I guess like anything it's all in the amount of effort you put in and then buying it right in the first place. I would also expect to spend money on anything you buy to bring it up to standard.

Joel

Hughes500
18th Jun 2007, 07:01
JTobias
operate both D and E models

slim40
18th Jun 2007, 21:21
Bladewashout,

The guy at Sywell, Northampton with the 500E is called Ant West (Antony, but he apparantly prefers Ant according to Martin Lovell), his mobile number is 07831836104.
Where are you based? If you are buying an R44 and are going to do SFH, I'd be interested. More so if you buy a 500!
I think Bill Lowry at BHH still has the 500D that I flew last year for sale (£275k+VAT or so, check the website). They buy them in and refurb them all the time, so they always have at least one machine there. When I was there, the 500D I flew had just been rebuilt, there was also a 500E in the hangar with it's rotors off, and another in its component parts- hard to tell what it was at first when just the main fusalage is sat there!

PS Yep, landing at a hotel/pub is cool! Went to the Ivy House Hotel on the edge of Lowestoft on Sunday. They have a small field next to the car park which they kindly marked as a helipad by mowing a large circle in for me to land on. Stunning place, with a great restaurant, well worth a visit.
Just 50 mins flying time from Conington too.

Si

dwoodwar
25th Jul 2007, 16:26
Joel,

I would be interested to hear how you get on. I fly 22's and 44's from Barton. Would be very keen to get up close to a 500 if you gain access.

Dave.

JTobias
25th Jul 2007, 21:56
Dave,

I'm still on the lookout. I think it will definateley be the next machine for me. The 480 is fantastic, very easy to fly, very forgiving and our's has had a lot of money spent on it this year to bring it up to date. New panel, blades, engine, interior etc, but it's a touch slow and not easy to get 4 people into it.

I'll keep you posted if I get near one.

havick
26th Jul 2007, 01:49
A friend of mine bought one of the police choppers from the USA and brought it over to Australia for private use.. After he has pulled out half the avionics that is police specific, it is a very sleek and good looking machine..

I have to say, the MD500 is always a favourite of mine..

Hover Bovver
26th Jul 2007, 06:01
It will be even more diffficult to get 4 in a 500!

estepo
26th Jul 2007, 13:49
Bladewashout

I flew many, many hours in Ant West's 500E before buying my Gazelle. I'm not sure how many hours you have, and there may be some restrictions on insurance, but I'm sure he'd be happy to self fly hire if the insurers are ok with it.

Whether or not you can, it's worth giving him a call. He's one of the most genuinely nice people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

datasharp
27th Jul 2007, 11:02
Hi
im currently doing PPL at Barton , on completion will buy either R44 or 500 .
If anyone interested in syndicate , please PM me.
Will be hangored at Mere nr Knutsford.

Cheers

Mike