PDA

View Full Version : Carry on baggage

Meldrew
11th Jun 2007, 11:48
For many years I have regularly travelled with carry on baggage consisting of a professional Video camera with an estimated value around fifty thousand pounds sterling. This did not used to be a problem for the airlines or security until the various security alerts last summer. Now, we are usually required to carry the camera without any sort of protective soft bag coverying it, as it will not fit the dimensions of the carry on baggage criteria. "So What" I hear you cry!! Some airlines or security personnel will not allow the camera to be carried by hand at all, until I get the airline check in manager involved. My point is this... I am led to believe, that professional musicians actually have an exemption from the authorities to carry smallish instrument such as violins etc on board, even though they do not fit the hand baggage size criteria. The reasoning being that: A) they are fragile. B) they are expensive. C) They are essential tools of trade for the passenger. All I ask, is that if this is true, then the same criteria should be offered to other professional such as myself. Without all the hassle!! As A,B and C above-also apply to me!!

PAXboy
11th Jun 2007, 14:41
If you want to find out if they have that agreement - why don't you ask them?

http://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/

If you can get them to confirm it in writing, then you stand a better chance than stating it in a forum that does not affect BAA plc and the Dept of Transport who make the rules.

FirmamentFX
13th Jun 2007, 20:56
As a "muso" myself, all I ever take on board is a baton :)

I am not under the impression that there is an exemption per se... Although most musicians will call ahead to make sure that it will be ok to take their instrument on board. In 95% of cases there is no problem as long as it has been cleared beforehand.

For larger instruments, it is not at all uncommon for a musician to also book a seat for themselves and "Mr. Cello" or "Mr. Bass" (I kid you not...)

I think the thing to do is call the airport / airline in advance and make sure you get the name of the person you speak to.

Cheers,

Martin

lexxity
15th Jun 2007, 19:14
Firmament is quite correct, I have checked in many a "Mr. Cello.":}

Union Jack
16th Jun 2007, 17:54
Not Limon Cello, surely!:)

Jack

TotalBeginner
17th Jun 2007, 11:01
At easyJet we will allow instruments up to the size of a violin to be taken as hand luggage. A phone call to security is normally required to confirm that it has been authorised :rolleyes:

FirmamentFX
17th Jun 2007, 11:06
EZY allowed my guitarist to carry his guitar on as hand luggage without charging. It was a pretty empty flight though...

I had visions of "Airplane" with it bashing the heads of passengers as it was dragged down the cabin :p

Martin