PDA

View Full Version : A400m Aar

Saintsman
11th Jun 2007, 09:40
Could anyone confirm that when carrying out The AAR role in the A400M, a third crewmember is required to operate the refuelling pods.

The spec seems to say there is a crew of 2 (+ a loadmaster) or is it the loadmaster who will carry out this role?

Thanks

Confucius
11th Jun 2007, 12:47
Since the '400 is yet to fly in it's 'base' spec, let alone as a tanker, I'd Imagine the final specs on crew duties during aar have yet to be decided.

highveldtdrifter
14th Jun 2007, 22:01
Saint,
I am pretty sure that it is a requirement that the A400 should be capable of AAR with a 3 man crew (2 pilots and 1 LM). The USMC manage in their KJs.

Saintsman
15th Jun 2007, 07:04
I am pretty sure that it is a requirement that the A400 should be capable of AAR with a 3 man crew (2 pilots and 1 LM). The USMC manage in their KJs.

If that's the case, I wonder why FSTA needs a Mission Operator. Surely the Loady could just pop down the front when its time to operate the switches ;)

Seldomfitforpurpose
15th Jun 2007, 08:36
If FSTA is required to carry an ALM as part of the basic crew, I don't know if it does, you can bet that in light of the success of the 3 crew concept on the J model Herc that serious consideration is being given to him/her being utilised in the role you describe :ok:

BEagle
15th Jun 2007, 20:47
The common standard A400M is designed for operation by 2 pilots only.

However, there is an auxiliary crew station, if specified by the customer.

The A400M is not envisaged as a strategic tanker. It can have a secondary tactical tanking role, but, as I understand it, that will involve just the 2 pilots.......

.....or so Airbus imagine.