PDA

View Full Version : In transit at LAX-Air Canada to Qantas question

Habster
11th Jun 2007, 08:39
We'll be in transit at LAX and will be staying 11 hrs at an airport hotel until the late evening flight back home to Australia. Is it likely we'll be able to have Air Canada tag our bags from Montreal to LAX on to Qantas home to Sydney??? Will security requirements/airline care factor these days( I appreciate Star vs Oneworld sensitivities) make this difficult??? I would like to avoid lugging suitcases on to a shuttle bus/tax to/from a hotel.
PS Suggestions for airport hotels welcome-clean,sat/cable tv,heated pool and room service musts!!

Middle Seat
11th Jun 2007, 19:15
If you're on a single ticket that's issued YUL-LAX-SYD then it shouldn't be a problem. If however, you have a separate YUL-LAX and LAX-SYD ticket AC may not be so accomodating. It doesn't hurt to ask at checkin at YUL.

PaperTiger
11th Jun 2007, 19:58
...it shouldn't be a problem...Hmm, don't think so. OP intends to exit the airport (to hotel). That means customs and immigration and transferring to a different terminal (AC #2, QF the TBIT), which will involve taking your bags with you. I'd be very surprised if AC will let you check your bags 11 prior to departure.

Best to ask them beforehand.

Middle Seat
20th Jun 2007, 13:58
That means customs and immigration and transferring to a different terminal (AC #2, QF the TBIT), which will involve taking your bags with you.
That would be true IF the YUL-LAX ticket is issued separately from the LAX-SYD ticket. If Air Canada has issued an interline ticket YUL-LAX-SYD, while the pax will have to go through the customs/immigration stuff to leave the building, if the bags are tagged through to SYD, after going through customs, they can be dropped off with TSA where they'll be rescreened and forwarded to QF.
I've transited through LAX between carriers and changing terminals. On arrival from outside the country have never had to lug my bags that have been checked all the way through to my final destination to the next terminal and check them in again. Pax are directed to drop off bags that have connections and are tagged as such with TSA as they exit immigration/customs.
But, like I said before, IF there are two separately issued tickets involved then lugging bags will have to be done.