PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mini

Mac the Knife
10th Jun 2007, 20:16
Well, I went and did it. Got the other 'alf a MacBook a few months ago and had such fun with it that I just had to get a Mac Mini for meself.

Quite a confession for a Linux junkie, but I s'pose it is Unix after all.

What a gorgeous little beast!

I think I'm in love.

Not as easy to tinker around with on the command line but I'm not that familiar with BSD Unix (I'm learning) and anyway, it isn't really intended for that.

The visuals are stunning, the interface is a treat and after getting X11 up and running there are lots of ported Linux apps to play with.

Way cool!

AppleMacster
10th Jun 2007, 21:35
Mac,

Don't forget that if you truly need the full-blown Linux fix, you can run Parallels, or even install Ubuntu:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntelMacSupport?highlight=%28mac%29%7C%28intel%29

Applemacster

planecrazy.eu
11th Jun 2007, 10:24
I have to second that, MAC OSX is great!

I think its funny how they say OSX is for the home, and not really business of office orientated...

Only been a student i cant say about the office, but my productivity has gone right up, i no longer thinker around with trying to make things work, and most of all, its not cluttered.

I think whats done it for me is that the software for MAC "just works" and i no longer need to download lots and lots to find a tool that works well and how it should do.

No crash's, no freezes, and i love it...

Just, why are they so expensive, i have had to settle for the MAC BOOK, the MAC BOOK PRO is what i want, but at £1600 for the spec i want, thats twice as much as the non PRO model.

Anyways, i havnt got to grips with X11, i can run MATLAB under it, but the question is HOW? I have BOOTCAMP up and running, have got XP and FEDORA up and running, its amazing how i can use my XP boot in MAC, and it seems more stable (just seems) and i can run all my Windows only apps, and when i want to fire flightsim up i can reboot and load windows direct as parallels is poor at running games well.