PDA

View Full Version : SO roster / social life downroute?

Stuck_in_an_ATR
10th Jun 2007, 16:03
Could anyone PM me a typical S/O roster? I'd also appreciate some info on the social life down route... How long are the layovers? Do the crews (both FC and CC) party and generally spend their time together? Or everyone just slams his room door and you meet them again in the crew bus to the airport? Passed the interview just now and have a BIG decision to make. Where I fly we have a lot of fun away, hope it's the same at CX...

Cheers!

Flying Bagel
10th Jun 2007, 16:46
If how much fun you have on a layover is that significant to you as part of a career choice, then I'm afraid CX is not the place for you.

Don't expect the cabin crews to be at your service at the outports. Most will do their own thing, and most likely you will be spending time alone exploring the hotel gym and local drinking establishments.

Layovers are usually short, 24 hours being the standard. Three patterns a month is the general consensus. Lots of time off, however, which is always a plus. If you so choose, you can make up for the lack of female social contact at work by spending your days off down at Wan Chai. Don't expect to see much change left over from your paycheck, however.

Such is the life. Choose wisely.

Stuck_in_an_ATR
10th Jun 2007, 17:18
Not that social life is the key factor in my decision, but it's definitely a part of it (being single and not much of a family man) I am trying to do as much research as I can before I go for it and social life has beem much less covered on those forums than other issues :}. Anyway, thanks for an informed answer, FB :ok:

dragon501
11th Jun 2007, 00:57
HK as more social life then anyone can cope with so.... That should be ok ;-)

777300ER
11th Jun 2007, 02:09
I'm surprised hostile23 or regretcx have not hijacked this thread and convinced this guy to jump off a bridge yet...

LOTW
11th Jun 2007, 04:22
Congratulations.

So what position were you offered?

machten
11th Jun 2007, 05:15
I think he just said DESO. But yeah, CONGRATULATIONS!

Yeager
15th Jun 2007, 09:00
A good reason to come, mate. If you are single, come to Hong Kong for a couple of years. Enjoy the easiest (and most boring) job you will prob ever have. 16-19 days off a month (eg. 3 trips and 1 sim ride/mth). Its not cheap to live in HK especially with so much time of to kill. Go travelling once a month - explore the region on you ID90 tickets - and dont even think about your pathetic "job" nor the pathetic company that you "work" for. Plan to leave the joint after sometime not to distant after you have upgraded and actually flown the "big jets" - heading for a more fun flying job (back home or anywhere else for that!), where you actually also have fun with the chicks behind the cockpit door. You work more than half your life - therefor - fun at work is to be considered and you will not find that at CX - thrust me.

At work - a good reason NOT to come here. Its only on rare occasions you will socialize with the hosties - if for whatever reason you might want to. Most of them head out in small "same spices" groups or alone with their tripod and take "funny" pictures of themselves to show to friends. Heading back to their room to eat their cup noodles full of msg. The onboard service u get at work is boring and pretty average at best - unless you lic. the ISM or another of the senior chick up her a.. Most of the time theyare just useless or brainless or both. The company now almost only hire young honkies and they dont give a horses a.. about the job (cant blame them!). To them you are a useless gweilo (white/black whatever) busdriver (as they are useless waiters to you).

Hope to see you around.

hostile23
15th Jun 2007, 11:55
I'm with Yeager,

The honkies have all the appeal of a barbed wire enema. This coupled with the closed door policy, the sterile cockpit, the ridiculous adhesion to anal procedures, and the occasional pr!ck in the left seat make for an environment at CX that will send you round the twist. Trust me it drove me nearly insane! Working at CX is abominable.

Yeah, I really liked going to work when I was an SO.................:yuk:

SO= Fill the little bag full of ear muffs (God forbid if you ever put in to many, or too few!!) Get sandwich tray, take drink order, make bunks, take Captain Arsewipes cuppa back to the galley for having 1 sugar crystal too many!, take first rest, fill out the 30 page flight plan, use the radios, feign interest in the arrogant twit sitting next to you, 24hrs in a sh!t hotel and then do it all again on the way home............................what a career choice.

Good luck mate, I would have stuck to your ATR if I were you.

Captain TOGA
15th Jun 2007, 12:10
I have no complaints about the service while in-flight. If you treat them like crap, they treat you like crap and the other way around.

junior_man
15th Jun 2007, 13:13
Like many things in life it is what you make of it yourself. Can be a great job or if your attitude sucks you get barbed wire enemas.
No shortage of social life in HK if you want.

The Messiah
15th Jun 2007, 15:53
Just don't lose your sense of humour and the whole experience is great, not perfect by any means but where is?

Old Hostile 23 sounds like he put his head above the sand once too often and got it kicked in. In fact there are some very very experienced heavy jet operators here who have a lot to offer if you care to listen to them.

It is just too easy to have a great time working for CX and it is also too easy to have a terrible time of it, the choice is yours.....good luck.

hostile23
16th Jun 2007, 05:36
..........................and it's even easier to not join in the first place!:D

The Messiah
16th Jun 2007, 06:42
Nobody is forcing anybody to join CX, there are just some other people who have good experiences with CX and aren't all twisted because they weren't mentally equipped to be here in the first place so got the chop.

I would not normally wish ill on others but as far as Hostile 23 is concerned I think being such a prat and full of so much hatred that kharma is catching up with him and he will get what he deserves in life like he did at CX.

What were the Modules in the sim too hard for you sonny?:{

hostile23
16th Jun 2007, 06:46
I actually resigned because I couldn't stand working with d!ckheads like you. No never got the chop.

The Messiah
16th Jun 2007, 06:53
Yeah sure you did.....you keep telling yourself that.:ok:

If you really resigned you would have left these forums but the animosity you display shows you were shoved out the door and you resent everyone still at CX who doesn't hate it.

Your folks must be so proud of their failure.

Yeager
16th Jun 2007, 19:44
T Messia (or whatever!)! Face the fact the mate, that u are stuck here! and just to ignorant to face the fact that the real world has got more to offer that a pathetic CX pilot job. H23 knew where he came from and he knew where he was going - he hat guts.. You on the other hand are prob at O.I.C dude who are just willing to take the shaft from the behind- fair enough, some dudes like that! No hard feelings mate (or sweetie!)

Well anyways sure you and the other CX is the best f...... airline in the world guys are part of the good bunch - just realize that there is so much more to it than fancy airplanes and Stauntons.. There are airlines around (a lot actually) where the chicks behind the cusion (door - Vol2p2 bla bla bla bla wanking wanking..) the have got humor (and brains sometimes!) and know the difference between espresso and hot chocolate (wrong spelling have a go wankers!) and knows that a smile is not about showing teeth!

Anyways keep bending over! :D
No 1

Captain TOGA
16th Jun 2007, 20:59
Gents,

If you ever fly with a bitter, twisted, Danish SO on the -400, then it's a very good chance "Yeager" is sitting next to you... If this is the same guy, it only took him about 2 hours to piss off the girls.

badairsucker
17th Jun 2007, 06:17
ERRR, why the hell would you want that info.....

pakeha-boy
17th Jun 2007, 06:30
Quote.....If you ever fly with a bitter, twisted, Danish SO

hehehehehe hohohohohoh hahahahaha....gotta love that.....:ok:

I entertained a Danish tart the other night ...she was just the opposite,......sweet,straight .....and very acommodating indeed...

The Messiah
17th Jun 2007, 06:53
Yeager

I can understand that trapped is how you feel and undervalued what with your 38th birthday coming and you only being an s/o but that doesn't mean everyone feels like that.

Some of us have a life outside CX, maybe you should get one too.

Night Watch
17th Jun 2007, 10:25
Captain TOGA From your location on your profile and looking at your previous post..... I'm pretty sure I flew with you a few months ago. It only took us 2 minutes after you left the cockpit to have a laugh at you and realise what a dick you were!

BigPimpin
17th Jun 2007, 21:15
2 minutes? :}:}:}:}:} hohohoho hahahahahah hardyhardyharharhar
capt toga is a D!CKHEAD! bwuahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahah

Sqwak7700
17th Jun 2007, 22:12
You know, all of you really need to grow up. Honestly, you all need to get over it. You sound like 5-year-olds fighting over toys. Pretty pathetic :yuk:

Captain TOGA
17th Jun 2007, 23:11
Nice try "Night Watch but I'm not on the Airbus fleet...

Yeager
18th Jun 2007, 01:01
Yeah, I agree we have to grow up and all be flying f...... heros like for example TOGA.. This was a about life down the road.. I think we made our point - some directly and some indirectly - thank you TOGA Im confident that the guys with brains and second choices are not coming out here because of characters like you. Enjoy your extension (did anybody say "get a life"?!) :p:p

Yeager
18th Jun 2007, 03:32
The Mess

Sounds like you slip in well in this anal company. Good at looking up the facts - but not capable of looking beyond and in between. Has it ever occured to you that the world might not be as the "book" says. Arh dont bother - dig back in the books after all thats how those shiny jets fly - right. Like the books says :eek::D

The Messiah
18th Jun 2007, 05:06
Wow Claus you don't quit do you. You weren't this tough when we flew together, and you weren't that good either.

You seem to be hanging on a bit tight.

What would you know about flying shiny jets having never flown one yourself. Good luck growing up at SAS.

Yeager
18th Jun 2007, 08:25
I firmly believe that - Stuck in an ATR - have now got an good insight into the elements that lies ahead of him, should he for some reason choose to join the worlds most admired airline :D

Actually maybe he should just try and google cathay pilots and see the results that comes up - I think they speak an language we ALL understand - nobody is left out on that one :ok: Actually let me just grap on that says it all;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/1271579.stm :sad: haha

hostile23
18th Jun 2007, 08:33
Poor form Mr. We can all have a whine without actually trying to name names. Really p!ss weak loser.............taking out your frustrations on an SO. Business as usual eh.............I bet you're a :mad:CRM "facilitator" as well. What a joke this whole mess is.

Aussie
18th Jun 2007, 09:09
Maybe we could get some more opinions on social life down route for the man in the ATR??? Titan404 care to give us your insight?

404 Titan
18th Jun 2007, 15:20
Aussie

It’s what you make of it. Generally one only gets 24 hours layover but on the bus we have a few places like Paris, London, Frankfurt, Vancouver and New York where the layover can be longer. Generally the cockpit crew will get together for dinner/lunch and a few beers. It’s very unusual for the cabin crew (most get paid so little that they supplement their income by saving their overnight allowances) to come out with us but if it is going to happen it will be in Johburg. If you are an SO and the rest of the crew are based at your destination, the layover can be a little boring.