PDA

View Full Version : F-35 helmet ready - Merged

BombayDuck
19th Apr 2007, 18:28
The Helmet Mounted Display (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/04/11/213198/picture-jsf-helmet-mounted-display-revealed.html) for the Lightning II/Dave I has been revealed.

The aircraft will not have a Heads-Up Display, so I presume the cockpit glass will be frameless.

shawtarce
19th Apr 2007, 18:35
No Luke...............I'm your father ! !

Zoom
19th Apr 2007, 18:49
Blimey, it's The Fly!!

BEagle
19th Apr 2007, 19:55
Just about big enough for a VTOL bona mate's ego........

And it's F-35. NOT 'Dave' unless you're a spotter.

ProfessionalStudent
19th Apr 2007, 20:21
Dave? Have I missed something?

Archimedes
19th Apr 2007, 20:59
PS - when the 'Lightning II' name was revealed, someone here opined that the name was rubbish, and, frankly 'Dave' would have been a better choice (being slightly preferable to 'Colin', IIRC). And the name seems to have stuck.

propulike
19th Apr 2007, 21:32
Anyone know how much that lot weighs in at? Looks enough to give a stiff neck should the wearer have to bang out!

ZOFO
19th Apr 2007, 21:41
Does it allow access to JPA whilst in flight, that way you can put in the claims "On the Hoof" so to speak. Instead of getting that annoying "Maximum Log Ins" etc, as has been my experience today when trying to change my Bank details....:mad:

BombayDuck
20th Apr 2007, 06:26
ProfessionalStudent

This (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226765&highlight=Dave+JSF) will help you. :}

Archimedes, the contest happened before the official naming :)

Release-Authorised
20th Apr 2007, 06:33
It replaces the brown paper bag in the case of ugly femail aircrew!!:}

Pull pin and withdraw.........

Release-Authorised
20th Apr 2007, 06:35
(Before you all start, you are not allowed to write "female" any more as this is sexist!):\

Blacksheep
20th Apr 2007, 07:06
PS - when the 'Lightning II' name was revealed, someone here opined that the name was rubbish, and, frankly 'Dave' would have been a better choice (being slightly preferable to 'Colin', IIRC). And the name seems to have stuck.It should be the Lightning III anyway. (The Lightning I was also known as the P-38.)

Personally I like Dave. It could become a new NATO Code name concept thingy for friendlies. The F35 Dave, F36 Derek etc...

Worrabout the A400 Dumbo and the AV8B Dodgem?

That thing wot can't decide if its a twin rotor helicopter or a twin engine turboprop stinks. It could be the Dogfart.

Release-Authorised
20th Apr 2007, 07:23
But confusing if it has been built by Douglas.

Archimedes
20th Apr 2007, 09:46
Thanks BD - couldn't be bothered to go and find that - it was at the 'downselect' of possible names, then.

Thinking about it, it has to be the Dave II, since 'Dave I' would be the Nakajima E8N floatplane...

GPMG
20th Apr 2007, 10:13
Looks like a Tie Fighter Pilot, at least it will appeal to little boys as something to apire to.......and big kids alike.

barnstormer1968
20th Apr 2007, 10:27
I think that is a picture of the helmet selected for the Danish "Dave" option, another "smart procurement" cock up. It was only when the test pilot tried to close the canopy, that it was found that the "viking horns" prevented head movement. So the advanced carbon fibre horns were removed, only leaving two stumps on the helmet!

Or, maybe I just made that all up. But it does remind me of "Twinkie" from the eighties programme Buck Rodgers in the 25th century.
BIDDI BIDDI BIDDI.

Confucius
20th Apr 2007, 10:39
Won't all the Harrier pilots converting to Dave insist upon having the mirrored finish on the inside?

Green Flash
20th Apr 2007, 10:53
Honda's ASIMO gets serious!

barnstormer1968
20th Apr 2007, 11:05
Thanks for that, I knew it reminded me of of another robot. Yes it's a lookalike of ASIMO. I wonder if it can make a cup of tea?

Green Flash
20th Apr 2007, 11:10
Could probably drink it too.

mojocvh
20th Apr 2007, 14:11
Developing the JSF HMD has presented tough challenges, particularly clearing the helmet-mounted optics for safe ejection at speeds up to 450kt (830km/h). VSI says the HMD demonstrated structural integrity up to 600kt in tests leading to flight certification.

Hmm little bit of intel there for somebody...................

PICKS135
20th Apr 2007, 14:43
Developing the JSF HMD has presented tough challenges, particularly clearing the helmet-mounted optics for safe ejection at speeds up to 450kt (830km/h). VSI says the HMD demonstrated structural integrity up to 600kt in tests leading to flight certification.

Oh yes the helmet was OK. Pity the big pink body it was attached to would be dispersed to the 4 corners of the test airfield :ooh: :ooh: :ooh:

Pontius Navigator
20th Apr 2007, 16:05
Pity the big pink body it was attached to would be dispersed to the 4 corners of the test airfield

Perhaps they eject the helmet separately?:\

lightningmate
20th Apr 2007, 16:21
The item illustrated at the link above has Visor Assembly Mk 1 fitted. Already superseded and a more conventional Visor Assembly Mk 2 is being developed.

lm

Like-minded
10th Jun 2007, 14:47
Hi,

the F-35 helmet is ready. Here is test pilot wearing it and probably all Brit fliers off the new carriers will have it.

Capabilities are:

F-35 HMDS Specs - Binocular Wide Field-of-View
- Integrated day/night capability with sensor fusion
- Highly accurate head tracking hardware and software
- Digital image source for helmet vision displayed symbology
- Custom helmet shell, liner and suspension system for lightest weight, optimal C.G. and maximum pilot - comfort.

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/05/f-35_HMDS.jpg

Another pic is

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/05/f-35-HMDS2.jpg

And this is what he will be lookign at, when cockpit view is switched on:

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/9221/f35interface01834hn9.jpg

ShyTorque
10th Jun 2007, 17:22
Jeez! He looks like a giant green grasshopper! :ooh:

Fluffy Bunny
10th Jun 2007, 17:29
Already been done!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=272627&highlight=helmet

seafuryfan
10th Jun 2007, 21:19
Great. Really impressive, for F-35 pilots.

Now, as this is a helmet thread, can we do something about SH headgear please? Such as ANR, and NVGs that don't require a :mad: counterweight on the back (similar to the battery counterweight available and worn 15 YEARS AGO).

In the meantime, guys are still breaking with neck-strain due to their health not being worth the money.

Runaway Gun
11th Jun 2007, 00:15
Do you really have to open the canopy when flying IFR as in the last picture? Is that for cooling the helmet? ;)

vecvechookattack
11th Jun 2007, 07:03
ANR is already in and available shipmate....contact your IPT and nip down to stores. Ever tried NVG WITHOUT the counterweight.....works a treat and is much more comfortable. Its the counterweight which gives you neck strain...bin it.

seafuryfan
11th Jun 2007, 07:23
Thanks for the steer, vecvechookattack, got a feeling ANR might be for Wokkas only but will investigate.

I've tried without the weight, but I'm am suspect about long term stress to neck vertebrae. However, I have a mate who swears by not wearing it.

AlJH
11th Jun 2007, 10:09
Already been done!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...ghlight=helmet

Yes, but this gives specs. Other thread simply states that the bloke looks like 'The Fly'.

lightningmate
11th Jun 2007, 12:50
Specifications state what is required.

Demonstrated capability all too rarely meets specifications.

The JSF item illustrated is already being superseded.

lm

WhiteOvies
11th Jun 2007, 13:18
Seafury - The SHAR guys had ANR, not sure what happened to it when they went out of service. AFAIK the boys and girls at Cott/Witt do not have it for some reason.:confused:

strek
11th Jun 2007, 14:27
For Info

Only Sea King with ANR is Mk7. Has been talked about for a long time for Mk4/5 but has always been a long way down the pilot's priority list when compared to DAS, Comms, EO/IR, UORs etc etc

Strek

vecvechookattack
11th Jun 2007, 17:30
Think the Lynx has got ANR.....

Strek, I suppose you have to weigh up yer options...SAM up yer bum or going deaf in old age.....tricky 1

The alrming aspect is that ANR is as cheap as chips. A lot of pilots at my local airfield have it fitted to their headsets.

Green Flash
11th Jun 2007, 18:04
I got ANR ear defenders on the 25m range last year!

advocatusDIABOLI
11th Jun 2007, 18:05
Now you wouldn't want that Bad Boy to steam up! :ooh: Also, if you're one of the poor souls who needs to pinch their nose to equalise pressures..... you're stuffed!

Guess you wouldn't want to drop it either...... not like that ever happens.

Advo

frodo_monkey
11th Jun 2007, 18:16
Too much QRA means I thought of this:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/frodo_monkey/Halo_2_01.jpg

Uncanny!:eek::ok:

advocatusDIABOLI
11th Jun 2007, 18:35
Frodo,

Good Job! Keep the Chair warm....... Bored are we? You never know, you could be at 'Cockpit' just as Panorama Starts!!!!! It is a shame tho, that so few people know about QRA..... and what it's for. The public don't know either......

Advo

Hazer88DU
23rd Jun 2007, 06:32
Sorry if i sound a bit ill informed but I was just wondering though is a complete new model of helmet nessecary for the F 35, i always thought they would be using just the usual standard helmets that they use for every other high performance aircraft... :confused:

Tiger_mate
23rd Jun 2007, 07:09
Ever tried NVG WITHOUT the counterweight.....works a treat and is much more comfortable. Its the counterweight which gives you neck strain...bin it.

I used to think that until I had a period of reflection whilst laid inside an MRI Scanner. Now I use the lightest 300g weight, and at least if I get a long term 'injury' I am deemed to have used the kit 'properly'.

I have 4" of vertabrae that may as well be welded together, and without doubt, NVG use is the cause. Having seen the helmet stands at Farnborough Trade days, I think that we get a bum (read cheap) deal. The SH helmets are far too heavy for what is required, although a IAM Henlow doc recently stated that this is for crash requirements associated with a 'heavy landing'.

Statistically based, I would have prefered many years with a lighter helmet, examples of which are on the market.

strek
23rd Jun 2007, 09:47
Hazer

The equipment and capability of the new helmets is not comparable to any to any other available - we are talking about a 5th Generation fighter still 10 years (ish) from real flying.

Strek

Hazer88DU
24th Jun 2007, 06:27
Lol fair enough, that was a kinda stupid question on my behalf. Im just worried what happens if all this money that has been put into the JSF and doesnt turn out to be worth it, i know it sounds like it is so far though, i mean its a beautiful bird and i cant wait till Australia gets its batch.
I just hope they dont end up making the F35 (even though its already out into production) to turn out like the RAH 66 a project which was cancel because it was unneeded and too expensive when they had a likely substitute of upgrading a previous Aircraft.