PDA

View Full Version : What do you need in a Heli-pad?

BSD
9th Jun 2007, 13:52
Help folks!

Apart from obvious things like no high-tension wires, telegrah poles etc., what makes an acceptable landing area.

Helicopter involved = Jetranger.

All hints, help, pointers, gratefully accepted.

BSD.

JimBall
9th Jun 2007, 14:34
BHAB here (http://www.bhab.flyer.co.uk/index2.htm).

BSD
9th Jun 2007, 14:47
Thanks Jim,

Whilst awaiting a reply, I'd found the BHAB website and read the guidelines for private strips.

The site I have in mind conforms to their specs, but has a slight slope.

How critical is level ground?

BSD.

Brilliant Stuff
9th Jun 2007, 17:21
You can have a slope depending on the aircraft. Dauphin I seem to remember was 6 degrees, on the EC135 it's 12 degrees.

Bravo73
9th Jun 2007, 17:47
A slight slope shouldn't be a problem. Are YOU happy to land on it? If not, maybe terrace a little section to help with your landings.

Decent lighting of some description always helps.

Also, are you planning on using the pad all year round or just during the summer? If you want to use it during the winter, have a look at the drainage (the slope might help here). Otherwise, that plastic matting that lets the grass grow through is an elegant solution to infrequent use. Anything more and you'd be looking at concreting a square somewhere.

But remember, the approaches to the pad are just as important (if not more so) than the pad itself.

Best of luck. :ok:

psyan
10th Jun 2007, 09:04
With regard to approach/take off path, I'd try to determine the prevailing wind direction in your area and try to ensure clearances. Also, on the odd occasion you cock it up at the bottom, its sometimes better to over run the pad a little rather than use more power so I'd probably tend to position the pad/area a little more downwind [1/3 rd of area] instead of central. JMO though.

Best Wishes

BSD
10th Jun 2007, 10:23
Thank you all very much indeed.

The slope is 5 degrees - measured carefully yesterday pm! It is hard, grass, and well drained, with pretty good approaches over a field of wheat.

Likely use is summer only, and 2-3 times a year.

Once again, my thanks.

BSD.

bladewashout
10th Jun 2007, 20:05
I have a fairly tight area to get into, and prefer to approach into a nearby paddock (which I own), and hover across to the pad. Also helps to give a better take-off profile to hover there for take-off rather than trying tight confined departure.

The wheat might require a fair amount of power for a hover, but if you are not power-limited, the owner's happy and it's not going to damage the crop, it's an option.

BW

Two's in
10th Jun 2007, 22:16
BSD - Army keeps it simple with the 5 "S"s;

Size - Big enough with sufficient 360 degree clearance.
Surroundings - Wires, trees, livestock, other hazards etc.
Shape - Best fit for the disc and tail rotor.
Slope - Within limits and correct alignement.
Surface - Hard, soft, snow, sand etc.