PDA

View Full Version : EK pilots wives

eaglejet
8th Jun 2007, 23:52
Hey Folks,

What are the wives situations in the sandpit? Are they allowed to work if hubby working at EK? How does that work if the old lady wants to get a job?????

Thanks

Payscale
9th Jun 2007, 05:03
No problem. She can work here. Actually the employer would like her, because she is under EK sponsorship, not theirs.

BigGeordie
9th Jun 2007, 06:09
No problem with her working but be aware some jobs pay a lot less than they would back home.

Uplink
9th Jun 2007, 09:51
In addition, if you as a wife choose to work for Emirates aswell, you will find that the pay will be cut right back. The reason being that your husband already works for EK and therefore already gets all the allowances.

This in effect means that you will be right back to basic pay. EK from this viewpoint will not pay you very much. On a temp contract this will be ok but permanent the pay will almost half. In addition if you decide to work for Emirates and take their offer for sponsorship, you will loose your right to business or first class travel provided by your husbands sponsorship. Unless of course the job you have is well paid and of the grade that allows this sort of package.

Da Do Ron Ron
9th Jun 2007, 10:58
That all sounds very positive

All I have to do now is to work out how to get her off the sun lounger :)

Itswindyout
9th Jun 2007, 11:07
this could be a great TV series.

it is rather sad the EK, punish crew for having wifes working for them.

boeing-man
9th Jun 2007, 11:30
An article from the local daily explains the legal side of things.

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Immigration_and_Visas/10131053.html

The residency laws of the country allows married expatriate men who are living and working legally here to bring their wives to join them in the UAE.
The residency laws of the country allows married expatriate men who are living and working legally here to bring their wives to join them in the UAE.

The wife will then be granted a residence visa for a housewife. She will not be allowed to work under this visa and her sponsor in this country will be the husband.

yoyonow
9th Jun 2007, 11:35
Not sure what grades Uplink is refering to but my her-in-doors retains all her allowances with EK apart from Annual leave travel (chooses to use mine anyway) and Education; but we don't intend to have 6 kids.....

thefoxandfirkin
11th Jun 2007, 13:06
If wifey worked for EK too and if you took the villa/apartment, (at today's Dubai rental costs you'd be mad not to, let's face it), I don't think she would get the accommodation allowance (so called Utilities Allowance).

Shame you don't get two villas :{ ...Woooops hope she's not reading this :ouch: I love her really :oh:

The Fox and Firkin

Ghostflyer
11th Jun 2007, 17:14
It depends on the missus' qualifications. If they need her, she may well be able to negotiate an ex-pat contract. I know of several couples that got twice the housing allowance.