PDA

View Full Version : Self Studying Advice

high-hopes
8th Jun 2007, 16:27
Hi all

I am a PPL holder with a view in the near(ish) future to start the ATPL studies.

I am not ready to commit my money and time to a distance learning School, but I'd like to take advantage of my upcoming summer holidays and start tackling a few subjects in my free time.

The question is, can I access the ATPL studying materials (including the JAR question bank) without actually registering with a distance learning course ?

I've seen the Bristol and Oxford textbooks on ebay, so the answer to my question must be yes. What about the question bank ?

And finally, having to choose what to buy, what material would you recommend to get started with some self studying ?

Thank you

Jez_G
8th Jun 2007, 16:34
I came across these notes free online yesterday: www.wiljam.com A quick search of pprune didn't tell me much about them (other than the question bank they used to have has gone). The notes seem fairly in depth and are geared for the ATPL so they might be a good starting point for doing some reading. Best thing is they are completely free!!

I'm currently using BGS and have downloaded a lot of these notes as a back up for if (more likely when) i don't understand something.

(If anyone has any comments regarding the accuracy of the notes it would be much appreciated)

Good luck to you!

maxdrypower
8th Jun 2007, 16:40
I am with bristol at the moment , you can buy the manuals etc etc but what you cannot get it the CD rom with the progress tests on it . These are what they use to reinforce the 500hrs studying time required by the ca you also would have to pay for the brush up seperately . I do believe you can get the question bank you just pay like everyone else . A lot of integrated students or students on other DL courses use it . Believe me , froma personal point of view this stuff is hard work and at the moment its defeating me . I can only speak from bristols stuff but it is excellent and all the support is there , but only if your registered . A lot of people pass with it . I would just take the plunge and do it for the sake of a few hundred quid , but it is a lot of hard work and like I say I'm struggling , but then I'm thick