PDA

View Full Version : Too many charter-carriers in The Netherlands?!

sky unlimited
9th May 2001, 16:38
It appears that new Dutch carrier VIPAIR is finally going to start operations out of MST and EIN (instead of requested slots at AMS). VIPAIR is going to operate two A310's with destinations all over the Mediterranean Area and the Eastern Part of Europe.

I wonder how long it will take for VIPAIR to go in administration after the Air Holland and BASE Airlines debacles and after the difficult starts of Dutch Bird and the Dutch subsidary of Hapag Lloyd.

Even in Belgium is it very difficult to operate one major charter-carrier: City Bird suffers considerable losses....

Superpilut
9th May 2001, 18:23
SU,
I don't see a problem with this. Especially since they avoid using AMS and use probably not to expensive aircraft it might work out. Just remember one of the main reasons that helped Air Holland go down was the inredibly high cost of their aircraft leases. Or that I understood at least. just wait and see. You know the Dutch consumers are just looking for the lowest price on the market, and maybe VIP can offer this with the combo of 310's and using regional airports. I wish the best for the employees of VIP, hope they can now work for a company that has some potential to survive.

Wing Commander Fowler
10th May 2001, 03:17
Err.... I think Citybird's problem is in the very fact that it is Belgian........

------------------
I'm finger lickin'

cart tart 1
10th May 2001, 12:21
because its belgian?As opposed to some of the crappy u.k charter airlines that only last a season