PDA

View Full Version : eyesight in the AAC

lytebyte2002
8th Jun 2007, 00:03
Hi, ive just joined PPRuNe. Been looking at this website for abit now though.

ANYWAY I really want to fly the lynx. Ever since i got a ride in one at wattisham a few years back ive wanted to join up and become a pilot.

BUT there is a problem... i am -3.00 in each eye and i know this is a serious problem. i would do anythin to become a pilot and i would be so unbalievably gutted if i could never forfill my dream.

Can anyone help:confused::ugh:

airborne_artist
8th Jun 2007, 07:22
From this page (http://www.army.mod.uk/armyaircorps/officer_career.htm)

Eyesight requirements are:
Visual Acuity without spectacles: 6/12
Visual Acuity with spectacles: 6/6
Lens power: Minus .75 Dioptres to Plus 1.75 Dioptres
Astigmatism: Maximum .75 Dioptres
Colour Perception: ISIHARA test

So I think you are out of luck. Laser surgery is not acceptable and can be identified by any eye doc.

lytebyte2002
8th Jun 2007, 09:40
thanks for the info. looks like my life is screwed then.

spose i could look into GA but its majorly expensive!!

parabellum
8th Jun 2007, 12:50
I think you will find the initial requirements for a civil licence are not so far removed from the military requirements.
If you are dedicated to aviation there are many other career paths you could follow to non-flying jobs.

lytebyte2002
8th Jun 2007, 14:48
i know tht is true but i will never be looking in the engines ill always be looking up into the sky wishing i was sitting in the pilot seat. its amazin how one tiny thing can spoil your entire dreams!!!

does anyone else have the same problem as me?!? i would like to know!

i mean the americans have accept lazer vision! why cant the uk?!?

Melchett01
8th Jun 2007, 16:21
lytebyte,

It's not all doom and gloom. Having seen some of the decisions that have been made in recent months, it seems that being short sighted is a pre-requisite for a successful career as a staff officer :ugh: