PDA

View Full Version : Indulgence flights

Secret Squire
7th Jun 2007, 20:01
Hello,

I'm looking to try and get a cheap flight over to the US to meet some friends - does anyone know anyhing about the indulgence flight system, if indeed it does still exist, and who one would need to contact?

Regards

SS

Talking Radalt
7th Jun 2007, 20:17
At the check-in desk at BZN there's a list of destinations and fares still available as indulgence flights (presumably to remind those going to the sand pit(s) that they can also fly HMG Air to nice places too).
Might be worth giving BZN a call?
(It's a very short list by the way)

snowball1
7th Jun 2007, 20:18
Your unit movers will be able to help out, if you have them

autoranger
8th Jun 2007, 04:43
One upon a time you used to be able to get the Crabs to take you anywhere at very little cost to you and your family as long as you did not mind waiting a few days for the aircraft to turn up! Today you would be far better searching for cheap flights on the internet rather than relying on the indulgence seats with Virgin to get you to the States! Good luck!
Autoranger:suspect:

AT Mov
8th Jun 2007, 06:49
There are no scheduled flights to the US anymore, only flights in support of ops or exercises.

Chances are VERY slim.

The only routes that have indulgees these days are AKT and MPN.

AT MOV

RODF3
8th Jun 2007, 07:56
Anyone know the price of indulgence to/from AKT? And who is entitlied to use it? Thanks

AT Mov
8th Jun 2007, 08:25
£40 one way
Serving member, spouse, children of school age up to 18.

AT MOV

AR1
8th Jun 2007, 08:58
Thats beats BA.com which is all I'm allowed now.:{

RODF3
8th Jun 2007, 10:25
ATM
Thanks,
RODF3

modtinbasher
9th Jun 2007, 17:12
I always hung my nose over colleagues who indulged to far away places then....

Many years ago a friend and his wife indulged (OK, I know) to Hong Kong to stay with folks they'd met in the Service.....lovely cheap holiday it was to be......

But, to start with, they found that after 3 days living with these folks, they couldn't stand the sight of each other, so they had to book into an hotel and start buying food. Later, when they came to confirm and pick up their return indulgence flight, they found they had been bumped off by a Gp Capt and his partner who used the old RHIP to take the seats. So, they had to wait around for a further few days to secure a single flt back that they then had to pay the earth for!

Cheap holiday?

What fun!

Ha! Ha!

adrian mole
9th Jun 2007, 18:51
modtin - I'm sure AT Mov will put you straight as well but honestly RHIP doesn't work on this system. People get the flights on availability and then it is based on who applied earliest - if there is a shortfall the regs state that the lowest rank will be emplaned first and the list works up from there.... All to do with who can afford

Impiger
9th Jun 2007, 19:02
Indulgence - those were the days!

Recall Mrs Imps and I went that way to Hong Kong. Cost £16 each each-way (sounds like a bet doesn't it). Anyhow in those halcyon days the contract was a B.Caledonian DC10 economy cabin load once a week - out on Monday back on Wednesday I recall. So after a cracking week with chums in the Colony we were told on the friday that we had flights home the following Wednesday so promprtly blew all the money we'd saved up in case we had to buy single fares home. I was nervous as heck as we waited to board always expecting to be bumped by a duty pax at the last minute. But we got away with it.

Oh and on the BCal contract they fed and watered you 4 times on the way - I reckon I drank £16's worth of booze on both legs - sorry sectors - I can talk truckie even if I aren't one!:ok:

GeoAC
10th Jun 2007, 23:44
Just tell them that you`re a mate of Andy!!

Confucius
11th Jun 2007, 12:50
Can we still* get space-A on American mil flights?

*Did we ever, for that matter?

If so you might be better off going to Mildenhall rather than BZN.