PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth question

Tone
7th Jun 2007, 17:44
As I understand it the 'Google Pack' software allows Google more or less the same intrusive rights to a users machine as Microsoft have given themselves with Winders. Does anyone know if it is possible to install just Google Earth without the rest of the software? If so, how?

bnt
7th Jun 2007, 20:05
Absolutely, that's what I did. Just the download from earth.google.com - that offers to install the Google Toolbar, but I said No.

BLUE SKY THINKER
8th Jun 2007, 00:26
Side issue (but related).

I realise 'Google Earth' does more, but some don't seem to be aware that many of the most commonly used features - maps, satellite imagery; even the new Street View - are all available via web based Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps) without the need for another 35Mbs in your Program Files.

NB: From a UK based perspective (can't speak for other countries) this rival (http://local.live.com/) is a far better bet on the satellite front, particularly in the areas that encompass 'Birds Eye View' (if you want any convincing try Portsmouth Harbour [UK]; select 'Aerial', zoom right in and go to 'Birds Eye View' [one of the two icons]. Left-click hold and move mouse to navigate image. You can even spin in any geographical direction in this mode via the compass that comes up after selection). This is no ordinary satellite imagery; but supplementary high quality aerial photography.

Wader2
13th Jun 2007, 09:09
Google Maps and Google Earth share the same image base however Google Earth, and now version 4, allows far more manipulation, larger view, more overlays, ability to tip etc.

As for image resolution this is changing all the time with more hires all over the world. In UK, a month of two back, Menwith Hill and Fylingdales were in lowres with the former not even visible. Now they are both hires with cars in car parks etc. GCHQ is interesting too are more than half the site is a construction site.

I use Google Earth in preference every time.