PDA

View Full Version : Class One (reasonably urgent)

Eddy
7th Jun 2007, 14:21
Hello, all.

I'm booked in for my Class 1 on Tuesday and was wonder if someone could sort of spell out what I should expect to be done on the day.

I'm a bit nervous about it.

If the information is a bit, um, sensitive, I'd appreciate a PM or email to [email protected] .

Also, huge thanks to everyone who replied to my posts about PPLs. I got a lot of PMs so am taking a while to work through them with replies! Thanks, though!

Callsign Kilo
7th Jun 2007, 14:52
Eddy, it's really not much to be worried about at all (Besides the cost of it and having to shell out more £s each year to revalidate it!)

You visit various CAA medical types in the few hours that you are there. Nothing to get worried or stressed about. Usual things you would expect - eye test, hearing test, lung capacity, general medical check up. It's actually quite funny to be honest. The CAA get you to dress in a white robe and prance around the Medical department going from doctor to doctor and checkup to checkup. As I say, all over in a few hours.

early_bird
7th Jun 2007, 20:36
Roger that Airbus38 - atleast the nurse didn't have to interrupt your lung capacity tests to 'confirm' "...was it you who dropped your label down the toilet?".....Oh the shame :O And why idn't I get a robe??:}

But seriously, there's nothing to be worried about. My first ECG showed a slightly high heart rate so the Doc. gave me a minute or two to calm down. They really are a nice crowd down there.

There's also a blood sugar / colestorol (sp.) test.

Cheers,
EB

bri1980
7th Jun 2007, 20:40
When I had my company medical the nurse put my urine and blood samples into containers then into a jiffy bag. She stuck an address label on them and apparently they are sent in the ordinary post! I was shocked to learn that!

Class ones and twos: after one year does the class one revert to a class two for the remaining 4 years (assuming one is less than 40)? Or is a separate class 2 needed?

B

wbryce
7th Jun 2007, 20:47
I think the cavity bit is a bit too much....but don't worry, just put your mind in another place. :}

Its nothing really! its just a check to make sure your medically fit to operate commercially...I think theirs a document on the CAA website which lists whats all involved in the class 1.

Eddy
7th Jun 2007, 20:48
Thanks, all. It was mainly the finger up the pooper bit (which I've been told doesn't happen - to my mate's bitter disappointment (she was prepared to give me hell about it)) and the fiddling with the fun sack that kinda worried me a little.....

Stanziel
7th Jun 2007, 22:03
I was there a few weeks ago for mine, and they said that they don't understand why so many people are nervous because they actually want people to pass!

Anyway, I had a really good time and made some good contacts. Just enjoy the day They are really friendly and there are no "tests" which are hard.

Whirlygig
7th Jun 2007, 22:14
The only thing to be wary of is that they MAY require you to have a particular eye test (I didn't need it) whereby the squirt some stuff in your eyes. This means that your vision may be blurred for a while afterwards and you won't be able to drive.

Cheers

Whirls

Rosie Jane
8th Jun 2007, 05:22
You guys are so crude!!!!. fingers in discrete places, whatever next

Rosie

One life...live it

u7d27
9th Jun 2007, 10:44
I must admit there seems to be a lot of misinformation and needless worrying about the Class 1 medical amongst fellow students that Ive met, and on PPruNe.

I was reliably informed by fellow students that because I had depression on my medical records it was very unlikey that I would ever be given a Class 1 medical and from reading some posts on PPruNe they seemed to concur.

Anyway I spoke to the medical staff at Gatwick who couldnt have been more helpful, I got a letter explaining the situation that had previously happened in my life from my doctor for them. A week later I went for the medical and got it. When I was actually talking to one of the doctors, he like the nurses genuinely want people to get the Class 1 Medical and as long as you give them the relevant information regarding any previous problems you are more than likely going to get it.

I think in summary people get far to worried about the Class 1 medical, if your generally fit and healthy you will get it, and if you have any worries just call the staff at Gatwick and they will put your mind at rest.

Flygirl_
9th Jun 2007, 15:44
Yeah nothing to worry about -just declare anything important -if you're going to Gatwick they're very friendly - I went for my first class 1 not so long ago, went smoothly, though I had to get my baps out for the ECG!! Needless to say i was a little embarrassed at that point and it did raise my heart rate a little!

:O

FG

Adios
10th Jun 2007, 08:02
FlyGirl,

Never had your baps out in front of a stranger before eh? I suggest you send your CV to Branson once you have the ATPL. ;)

JUST-local
10th Jun 2007, 08:35
The set up is very professional down at Gatwick, you do feel a bit of a prat wearing a small ladies bath robe for a couple of hours! (well maybe that was just me?)
The worst part was the EEG but I belive that has now been removed from the exam.
The eye site exam was very strict lasting about 40 mins and certain people have dye placed in the eye to dilate the pupil, this was no fun!
My advice would be to take the class 1 eye site requirments to your local opt. and get them to take a look at you and if you have not already got a class 2 book in with your GP and have a the basics looked at just to put your mind at rest.
JL..............

olliethegreat1
10th Jun 2007, 09:57
When i did my class 1 medical a couple of years ago (robes were still there, and still too small!!!) I went to the local optician to get eyesight sorted, there's a special form they need to fill out, but it only costs about £25 and i actually got an instant refund of around £50/60 from the CAA so it may be worthwhile doing. Plus it makes they day run a little quicker. Not sure this is standard practise but they seemed more than happy with it. :cool:

Whirlygig
10th Jun 2007, 10:02
wearing a small ladies bath robe

robes were still there, and still too small

Eh? Would these be the same robes that I thought were designed for a tighthead prop?

Cheers

Whirls

christhevan
10th Jun 2007, 16:12
Is this the form you get your optician to fill in?

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED162andInstructions.pdf

I wanted to get i done before i go to gatwick

Cheers

Chris ;)

olliethegreat1
10th Jun 2007, 18:22
Chris,

pretty sure thats the right one, as i said before you can probably expect to pay a little more than the standard check up, but it could be benneficial if you get a refund like i did. Now where's my glasses?!!! :\

christhevan
10th Jun 2007, 18:45
Cheers olliethegreat1 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=178786) :p

Eddy
10th Jun 2007, 22:42
So can anyone confirm beyond all doubt that they do have a fiddle with your nads?

I understand there's no finger up the pooper, which is a good result.

As for the talk about the eyetests, I got a prescription from Vision Express (on the NHS surprisingly - Scottish thing, I think) about four days ago and faxed it through to them. Does that mean that they might not need to do eye related stuff? I don't mind eye stuff to be honest, I just prefer people not messing with my junk unless it's going to lead to breakfast in the morning.

:D

Eddy
11th Jun 2007, 20:18
Almost time for the first phase of my quest to be a pilot. Off for my medical in the morning. Dead nervous.

Thanks, all, for your help and advice.

bluepeely
11th Jun 2007, 21:05
Not worth the money if you dont get the grope:eek:

davey147
11th Jun 2007, 21:34
The doctor never even looked at my balls when I had my Class 1 in Gatwick. They did when I had my Class 2 though for some reason. I think it depends on the doctor.