PDA

View Full Version : Transfering to the USA from UK dispatcher

Commander1
7th Jun 2007, 13:30
Hey all, I had an interview recently for a position in dispatch at GLA. just wondering if you can transfer to the USA with these skills or do you need a license?

Is the pay good in the USA?

Cheers :)

LHR_777
7th Jun 2007, 16:11
I think you'll need an FAA Dispatchers Licence. We don't have a UK equivalent, unfortunately.

groundhand
7th Jun 2007, 16:30
You will need an FAA Licence but your main problem will be getting a work permit and finding a company to sponsor you for this - unless you have US nationality already.

Commander1
12th Jun 2007, 17:55
How would you obtain an FAA dispatcher license, is it good money over there if you become one?

Visa would be no problem.

I am a dispatcher for Aviance.

Cheers :)

merlinxx
14th Jun 2007, 09:47
Aviance do not have on staff US/FAA type Flight Dispatchers. To give you an idea to see what we in UK/Euro zone are trying to do, I suggest you ctc [email protected] and ask him for a copy of his City University London project paper "Job profile and training requirements for European Flight Dispatchers". This will either frighten you or heighten your enthusiasm. Andreas's paper is outstanding.

Commander1
14th Jun 2007, 10:59
I already knew that they we'ren't because FAA is American and we're not America, but im wondering if I could go there with my experiance and a green card to become one there?

Does Aviance Dispatchers do the same job as an American or other UK dispatcher would do?

Kind regards

merlinxx
14th Jun 2007, 13:38
Suggest you read my post in full. You are a Ramp Dispatcher, not a Flt Dispatcher, totally different world! Ramp agent in the US vary duties subject to location & company. Compare Southwest to AA. Southwest ramp agents are also gate/check-in agents. AA ramp agents are dedicated ramp personnel.

Ramp agents in the UK have no input to flt ops dispatch/crew briefing, route, flt, fuel, WX & notam planning etc etc etc.

Read the paper I suggested to you to get a handle on what Flight Dispatchers do and will be required to have ongoing knowledge of. In the US Flt Dispatchers are licensed just like aircrew and have to take regular checks also.

Please understand the differences in terminology, ramp dispatchers are not flt dispatchers. Preface the title Dispatcher with either Ramp or Flt.

Commander1
15th Jun 2007, 11:12
Ah I see, I was not told what type of Dispatcher position I had be given.

Im guessing by your post a ramp dispatcher is not as hard going as a flight dispatcher.

Reason im asking is that eventually i would like to move to either Canada or America to become a dispatcher, I dont know very much about the job, pay and responsibility over there and what is the better job to go for?. Green card would be no trouble however.

I appreciate your advice, thank you :)

P.S I found an aviation studies course at my local college, thats handy.

merlinxx
15th Jun 2007, 16:16
Good starting from scratch with City & Guilds Aviation Studies course 7280 is your best bet here. This'll give you the basic grounding for all functions.

Commander1
17th Jun 2007, 20:43
Thanks for you advice. :)

If I were to get my city and guilds and move to the US with my green card could i get a job as a flight dispatcher?

Do you know much about the pay?

Cheers

opsbloke
18th Jun 2007, 12:31
You could probably get a dispatch/flight follower position with a small part 135/part 91 operator without the FAA license, even then a lot of these operators still like their people to have the FAA ticket. As for pay, try doing some research into what carriers are where you intend to move to, for example, Delta in Atlanta, AA in Dallas..etc...

merlinxx
18th Jun 2007, 17:48
What OpsBloke said was true, 'tis a good way in, but and a big but, expect no more than USD15K as remuneration, these posts tend to be taken by folks who are straight out of, or are still in Uni Avtn Studies positions. Sign up for your C&G either direct in class or remote learning then I would suggest make an application to both:

Jeppesen UK International Trip Planning as an assistant Planner, they are at LGW just south of airport peri. Check www.jeppesen.com click on International Trip Planning for overview of poss job functions.

or

Universal WX & Avtn. They are US HQ'd the UK base is at STN. Check www.univ-wea.com.

Both advertise on www.aviationjobsearch.com. Both of the above have a route into the US, either way it is an easier way in getting a grounding on a US thought process.

Keep us all advised. Cheers

merlinxx
18th Jun 2007, 17:54
I take it you have a handle on the US scene? If only folks outside of the US understood the salary structures over there, if they did they'd not be that quick in wanting to go. Flt Following clerk with the largest LoCo is on max USD25K with 3 years seniority. Yup OK some Supervisor Dispatchers with majors are up to USD75/80K with 10 years plus service, ain't the gold mine it was, the BizAv sector is now seemingly the best long term bet. Your thoughts SVP.

Cheers.

PS. I do know the US & non UK market fairly well.

Commander1
18th Jun 2007, 19:30
Hi there, I will keep you posted.

My job is a turnaround controller for aviance, they bought over BA so its not completely a "dispatch" position but i was told i get a license at the end of it. I have to get weather reports be able to read and plan the appropriate flight plan etc. Seems VERY interesting :E

Eventually I would love to go to the states and settle with my American boyfriend :)

Commander1
18th Jun 2007, 19:32
P.S Opsbloke I dont really mind which American carrier I work for its getting my foot in the door that counts :)

Quite fancy living in the Southern states as the weather is fantastic.

opsbloke
19th Jun 2007, 02:43
Try looking at Southwest, the closest thing to what you will be doing is Ops Agent, essentially a UK Ramp Dispatcher, vacancies all across the network, probably a good 'foot in the door'!! Keep an eye on their website for future openings...Oh and unless your boyfriend has UK permanent residence, be prepared to get frustrated with the red tape for the green card!! even then its a mountain of paperwork...

opsbloke
19th Jun 2007, 03:18
Merlin,
I live in the LHR area and to be honest I had an awful lot more disposable income when i worked for a biz jet company in Dallas than I have now, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there, salary aside, l would recommend to anyone trying to start a Flt Dispatch / Ops career to give the biz jet companies a try first, lot more varied and you learn quickly, lets face it, its highly unlikely that you are going to walk into any US major carrier as an 'off the street' dispatcher...they tend to hire from the minors or subsidaries, ie Eagle, Mesa etc so if i were moving westward again and looking for a job as a dispatcher at entry level, I would try all avenues...I dont think any of us are in this for the money though are we??
Commander,
If you get your FAA License, chances are the school will help you find employment....if you are legally allowed to work there that is...

Commander1
19th Jun 2007, 10:03
Hey Opsbloke, what is it like living in the states compared to the UK? Is there a big difference? More hard going?

I have only been going on holiday there so I haven't had a chance to actually live the life of an average American.

Is there more taxes to pay, is it more stressful living there than here?

Cheers

merlinxx
19th Jun 2007, 10:05
What ho, which bizav op were you with? we may well have crossed paths! The fact as you well know is that the Scheduler/Dispatcher situation in BizAv/Corp ops has changed greatly over the last 20 years. When I first sat on the NBAA Intl Operators Committee one of stated aims was get the message out there about the absolute importance of good qual'd folks in Sked/Disp functions, hence the formation of the Schedulers & Dispatchers Committee. It's annual conference is not the biggest, with Int'l Ops #2.
Cheers

opsbloke
19th Jun 2007, 18:23
Commander,
Its great, less paid holidays though but the quality of life is much better for someone moving from the Southeast UK to one of the SW states, tax varies according to state, but as a rule its generally less, housing is a lot cheaper, generally i would say its what you make it really....

opsbloke
19th Jun 2007, 18:28
merlin you have pm...

Commander1
19th Jun 2007, 18:34
Hey Opsbloke,

What type of things would you say are expensive over there? I live on the West coast of Scotland. I really hate the weather here lol.

My options were either working with Southwest, Delta, AA, American Eagle, US airways (any airline really)

I would rather go to the South, ie South Carolina, Texas, Tennessee etc.

opsbloke
19th Jun 2007, 19:31
Commander,
You wont get a dispatch job with an airline over there unless you have a FAA license, it really is as simple as that.
If I were you I would start looking at some schools over there and try to get an idea of what a Flight Dispatcher does, Try a google search for 'FAR part 65, subpart C' and look for Dispatcher.
There are various posts on here about the difference between Ramp Dispatcher in the UK and Flight Dispatcher in the US, pretty much the only thing they have in common is the name 'Dispatcher' they are two different jobs....
On another note, health insurance can be quite expensive if you had to get it yourself, most employers do offer some kind of medical cover though...

Commander1
19th Jun 2007, 21:43
Hi, do you know how much it costs to do the training in the US? I have looked online and it doesn't say.

Cheers

opsbloke
19th Jun 2007, 22:15
Commander,
You have PM...

vasler_savoia
26th Jun 2007, 19:16
Hello, folks!

Lady Luck wanted to let me know what Flight Dispatchers do, and i was very impressed by my ignorance about that..:ooh:

Actually, i'm getting as much informations as possible, 'cause this kind of jobe would be extremely interesting for me. A friend of mine talked with me about his job (FD at Rome/Fiumicino airport) and he suggested me to get started with FD career, BUT outside of Italy: they are treated like animals :uhoh:. He told me:"Go to the USA or everywhere FD is respected, and forget about working in Italy....Everywhere but Italy!".:sad:

So, i got started to take informations about some FD school and the president of the oldest school sent me a brochure (DVD included):ok:
I got very impressed, and that man is going to be very kind with me, answering all my questions, immediately:D.

Now, i hope i don't disturb you if i ask some other info.

Realistically talking, is possible for an Italian getting the FAA certification(hopefully, but i'm very determined to achieve it) to start working in USA/Canada, or somewhere else looking for a FAA certificated FD?
My wish is not to get rich with this job: just not letting me get starved....

The more the suggestions coming from you, the happier i will be!
Thx in advance!
Ad maiora;)

Stefano

Commander1
29th Jun 2007, 20:36
Hi, there is a training school in Fort Worth, TX that you can pay to train you for the FAA dispatcher license.

http://www.fltdisp.com/

My company is going to send me to Charlotte, NC to get my license :D

You should go for it, im really interested in it. I am currently a ramp dispatcher.