PDA

View Full Version : Read and Do Checklist

Toubob
7th Jun 2007, 08:19
I am looking for a good definition of a "read and do" type checklist.
In my outfit there is some debate as to what this actually is.
Specifically the On Ground Emer/Evac Checklist on the A330/340.

Many in the training department say that a Read and do means that the
guy who reads it does all the required actions. I find this unwieldy.
As PIC am I supposed to sit there and watch while the FO Reads the checklist and then actions it? I think that if the FO reads the QRH and watches the Capt's actions and verifies them this is a much more effective use of two crew.

Any ideas or input?

Capn Bloggs
7th Jun 2007, 08:41
Good question. In flight, we action the abnormal checklist as a read and do, solely by the PNF, with the PF confirming switch selections before they are moved. This is to ensure the PF (or at least somebody) is still "flying the aeroplane" at all times.

On the ground we do the same, but there is a good argument (as you suggest) for the FO (we don't have PF/PNF on the ground, only Capt/FO) reading the drill and the Captain doing the actions with the FO confirming, the obvious difference being that the aeroplane isn't flying anymore and cannot get into strife with it's brakes parked!

However, you would then have two different procedures for inflight and OTG. It's probably been deemed better to have one procedure of both. If I had my way, the Captain would be doing the reading, as that is where the stuffups/omissions will be, not the moving of the actual switches. He is purportedly the most experienced crewmember and therefore the least likely to mess up reading the "do" list.

Piltdown Man
7th Jun 2007, 10:24
Read and Do = Read the action required, do the action required and then check that the required action has been performed.

Challenge and response = Buttons are pressed and actions performed, the checklist is read and it is confirmed by the other guy(gal) that things are where they are meant to be.

Who presses is the buttons is another matter entirely although I think it depends on manufacturer, history and culture (and if you have a former fast jet pilot in the crew).

PM

Dream Land
7th Jun 2007, 10:26
We have the same cock up on our EVAC procedures, first of all, I am the one that notifies TWR that we are evacuating, second of all I am the one that calls the cabin crew to stations and thirdly, I am the one that issues the actual evac commands. :ugh:

Piltdown Man
7th Jun 2007, 22:35
There are also memory items. Ours are split into seat or function (PF/PNF) specific. They are simple and ours do work. For example, an evacuation is initiated from the left seat, the plane is shut down by the right and then "announced" by the left followed by a shut down. It is vital to do an evacuation slowly - it it too easy to chuck people into props/engines, have them clamber over wings with spoilers and/or flaps up etc. The last two evacuations I witnessed were cock-ups. In the first the aircraft was not configured and the second, amongst others, the order to evacuate was given on Box 1. We all heard, but the PAX didn't.

PM