PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 initial, but I'm coming down with a cough...

Super-ted
7th Jun 2007, 07:25
First post - hello! So I've got my class 1 initial exam tomorrow, but i'm wondering whether it'd be wise to reschedule it. I've come down with a cough in the past few days and though i know it's just a temporary thing along with my family getting colds and suchlike, I was fearing this would affect my results. Might it affect my spirometry test for example?

Does anyone have any advice on whether I should reschedule the exam for later? I'd like to get it out the way and it's been scheduled at work as a day off for a while, so I'm not sure when I could next day off again, that's the only thing.

Thanks in advance.:)

nickyjsmith
7th Jun 2007, 07:45
Call the CAA and ask, the spiro test was the hardest thing at the medical. You don't want to waste time and money do you.

All the best.

p.s. It's not that bad, i was 40,wear glass's and passed without a hitch.

gingernut
7th Jun 2007, 15:05
A simple viral cough alone is unlikely to affect the results significantly, but I guess the boys in the white coats won't be that impressed with the resultant general spluttering and expressed snot following a big blow into the tube:)

Super-ted
7th Jun 2007, 21:33
Haha! Cheers guys, I've rescheduled for 2 weeks away to be on the safe side.

However if the cough's completely gone tomorrow morning, I might ring up early and try and get down there anyway to retake the slot.... fingers crossed.

Super-ted
29th Jun 2007, 07:08
Just for the sake of completeness and if anyone else has a similar problem in future and searches the forum;
I still had the cough after two weeks but I went to the medical anyway, and it didn't really affect my spirometry results at all, so everything was fine and I passed. If you can blow hard through a hosepipe till all your breath gives out, without stopping, then you can do the spiro test. :)