PDA

View Full Version : RB 211 524H(T) questions re:Cathay

YellowFever
6th Jun 2007, 19:20
Couple of quick questions... I have read here and elsewhere that the (T) has the Trent HP module. One of the big advantages of the Trent series is that it is modular regarding mx etc. Is this true of the 524 as well?

Also, the h(T) model is rated to 60600, but I have seen posts here and elsewhere that CX de-rated theirs to "G" status of ~58000... anyone know "For SURE" or am I better going with the Boeing version.

Finally, I have read an old press release, and an article in an asian aviation mag, that CX was converting all their 747-4 series to the RB-211-524H(T)s and now I am seeing that some of the new purchases (specifically the old SIA planes) were PW powered when purchased... Is CX retrofitting in the BCF process, or do I need to learn yet another engine??

Help please, my brain is full!!

JDM

spannersatcx
7th Jun 2007, 18:16
the h(T) model is rated to 60600, but I have seen posts here and elsewhere that CX de-rated theirs to "G" status of ~58000

I think it was RR not CX that rated the G at 58K, the H is rated at 60.6K as you quite rightly say, CX has HT's fitted but has derated them to the G equivilant @ 58K.

CX was converting all their 747-4 series to the RB-211-524H(T)s At the time of the article I would suggest that the 744's CX had were RR powered only and that it was a rolling program of conversion whenever an engine was due an overhaul or was taken off the wing, so that all the H's then became HT's.

now I am seeing that some of the new purchases (specifically the old SIA planes) were PW powered when purchased... Is CX retrofitting in the BCF process No.

or do I need to learn yet another engine?? Yes.

Glacier1900
8th Jun 2007, 14:56
So what are the other engines on the BCFs beside the normal RB211-524H(T)? Or are there a few?

spannersatcx
8th Jun 2007, 18:14
Pratt 4000's

Glacier1900
11th Jun 2007, 18:32
thanks much!

Flaender
11th Jun 2007, 19:17
Most of you might already know this, but "I honestly don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer during the interview process as long as you don't use it in every other sentence. Better that than trying to BS your way out and make things worse.
Even better answer: "I don't know, but if I had to guess....."
Good luck on the interviews.

junior_man
13th Jun 2007, 12:46
They will ask you questions until they find something you do not know, to see how you deal with it. Then they may give you some of the info to see if you can solve the problem.

YellowFever
15th Jun 2007, 18:08
Now prepping for the second interview, as I survived the first cut, and I can't agree enough with Flaender. The gentlemen who interviewed me were extremely polite, and calm, and did a great job of putting me at my ease. When ever I realized that I was going down a path I didn't like the end of, I would respond with the "I don't know but I believe..." and I have to say that that second interview would tend to back up that they will accept that. There were virtually no questions regarding engine specifics, and knowing the fact that the SAI 747s had PWs was as in depth as it went. I guess they figured that while I didn't know a number of the answers they were looking for, I must be trainable! *lol* Looking forward to that LA base!!

europilot
16th Jun 2007, 11:07
Guys,

Can someone help me with this one... I got an interview in about two weeks and can someone please clarify the above mentioned term - are we talking engine weight vs. engine output???

RR claims that the RB211 has "a better thrust to weight ratio", BUT during my research I found out that the RB211 is actually HEAVIER than the PW4000 for the same thrust output...RB211-524H(T) - 9470lbs. and the PW4000 - 9213lbs.

I realize that they wont ask me engine weights but at least I would like to know what I am talking about when I throw this answer at them...

Thanks
EP