PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Renewal Eye Test???

mustflywillfly
6th Jun 2007, 15:30
I hold a valid Class 2.

My class 1 expired in August 2002. I have been reliably informed that I only need a class 1 renewal at my local AME as long as I get it done before August 2007 (5 year rule?).

My question is this....

Will I need an eye examination when attending the AME for a Class 1 Renewal ???

There is no mention on the CAA website or in any other documentation. I cannot believe that you only need 1 eye exam at initial and then never need do it again unless you start wearing glasses.

Is this right??

Cheers

MFWF :ok:

Rosie Jane
6th Jun 2007, 16:30
Hi Will

Class 2 under 40yrs has a renewal at 5 years. Class 1 under 40 yrs (Passenger transport) is one year for renewal.
Every medical I have had, 1 or 2 initial or renewal always includes an eye exam. This will cover both long and short distances etc, etc
My old class 2 had no restrictions, but my current class 1 requires me to use glasses for long sight which is only slight. It causes me no problems, I have the mandatory two pairs, clear and tinted which are part of my flying gear.
Unless there is a serious underlying issue dont worry. As a precaution print of the minimum eye vision standards for both class 1 and 2 from the CAA website and take them to an optician. You can then at least have some reassurance, or at best a second opinion.

Good luck

Rosie

One life...Live it

BOMB-DOCTOR
13th Jun 2007, 15:23
If you haven't had your medical as yet, give your chosen AME a phone call and tell him/ her your current position i.e Class 1 lapsed but under 5 years, tell him if you wear specs or not, and he will tell you what documentation you should bring.

It will save you the trouble of booking an ame slot before your 5 year deadline only to be sent away again for any opticians evaluation if you require one.
:)