View Full Version : EMIRATES - Crew Discussions

whatzmyname
6th Jun 2007, 15:17
I thought it's about time that we start a thread for those of us who are already employed at Emirates Airlines. Lets post our discussions under this thread.

To start of,just saw in the newspaper (Gulf News) that we are starting to fly directly to Toronto,Canada on 26 October 2007. It's about time! Also saw in the Business Traveller magazine that we will be starting to fly to Cape Town soon. They just haven't released the date yet but everything is set up and ready to go. It will also be a direct flight. Yippee!:D

Bus429
1st Jul 2007, 07:53
Just travelled EK 026/025 over the week, returning to GLA yesterday. Flew in Business and noticed that the two attendants working there - it was full - seemed very busy. I know that the meal service is generally unhurried but the lunch service stretched right to TOD and was curtailed; no coffee etc. During descent cabin staff from Economy came forward and assisted the Business staff in securing the cabin; I later heard one member of staff complaining about the situation.

I worked for EK as an engineer in the early 90s and always enjoyed the standard of service; several flights in recent years have showed a marked degradation.

This degradation seems to pervade quite a lot of EKs service. The Business lounge at Gate 9 in DXB was full and staff were less than polite in directing people to an alternative across the hall (instead of putting a notice up, they told each passenger as they approached the desk). The terminal reminded me a bit of LHR or CDG; neither a pleasant airport.

Letsfly
1st Jul 2007, 12:28
A few flights have been going short crew lately so maybe that was the situation. I did a Islamabad turnaround the other day and we only had enough crew to cover doors as well as a supy on her first flight ever!!

It was a 2 class 777-300 and we worked our butts off. I had a door position as well as operating the mid galley!!!

Leito
1st Jul 2007, 19:09
Cape town???, I never heard that one, I would really like that, it's an amazing place, any other destinations that you might know?.

Regarding to crew shortage it happens every year, lots of crew quit after the bonnus plus lots of crew go on holidays on the summer months and EK never seems to plan ahead for the summer months, what to do? :\.

Anyway, share your info on more destinations please !!!!

777w
2nd Jul 2007, 15:53
anybody going on the 380 flight on the 17th of august????:confused:

lvaxf
6th Jul 2007, 20:50
i would go if i could apply through the portal! the link isn't working properly...

Leito
6th Jul 2007, 22:31
Do you think that we could go inside?, where did you get that info?, I hope that we can, where do we apply?

Leo :}

whatzmyname
7th Jul 2007, 14:08
There is a link on the crewportal where you can apply for the 380. They have 400 tickets available for crew. You must do it on your off day (thats if you get it on the 17th of August). I'm not really that interested. I dont know why everybody is making such a big fuss over the 380. Looks like a flying warehouse. Probably is.
Got an email from my cabin crew manager who asked me if I could cancel my leave for this month because they are short of SFS's! Too many SFS's are apparently scheduled for leave this month. They never prepare for the summer months it seems. I didnt reply,because if I dont go on leave I might commit murder on board:O.
Summer holidays are the worst. Did a Cochin flight with 72 kids and 12 infants! Babies screaming and kids running up and down the aisle. :ugh:

lvaxf
7th Jul 2007, 14:41
cochin is nothing, i did casablanca last summer it was like a school playground...

Leito
7th Jul 2007, 14:50
You are right mate, run while you can, dont even answer the mail, and becareful when answering the phone, it could be him / her.

As per short of crew it happens on every year, they never learn, do they?, the same happens on x-mas, they advertise that there is room for leave and then we go short of crew.

I'm glad that I'll be in training college during Aug and part of Sep, then LV.

The link for the A380 dont work :*, but it says that there will be snaks served by EK crew, any idea who those poor souls might be?, can you just imaging 400 pax being served on an aircraft that noone has an idea?, that's terrible, it should be a fun experience, not a stressful one.

I will be off that day so if I dont get to go inside I will try to get some pictures from the fence or somewhere.

777w
8th Jul 2007, 11:06
I too am not tooooo thrilled with that big fat peice of metal :\!!!! Still feel we need more boeing aircrafts(fast ,,,fuel efficient and nice to work in!!!)...love the ER's :ok:....and they better book those 787's if they wanna fly a lot to the U.S ...or they'll never get the flight rights :ugh:

SkyHighFlyGal
9th Jul 2007, 03:53
Hi EK crew - I know this may be an obscure request, but does anyone have any photographs of the accommodation that cabin crew stay in, in Dubai? If so, could you PM them to me?

Also one more question - are crew able to do any part time work in the UAE (legally), for example, English tutoring? I'm soon to start as cabin crew, and I am also a qualifed primary teacher, so thought I could do some tutoring to get my 'kid fix' and earn some extra cash.

Cheers,
SHFG :ok:

whatzmyname
9th Jul 2007, 11:22
There are too many accommodations to send photos of all of them. Our accommodations are nice and decent if you were worried about that. I doubt it if you will have time for extra work with our schedules. You will be sleeping on most of your off days to recover from all the flights you will be doing. Emirates is not one of those airlines where you get long periods of off days. Here you will work,work,work. If you should manage to do it,good luck to you:p There are so many kids on our flights that I doubt it if you would want a 'kid fix' after work. We have actually quite a few ex-teachers that are working for us....

777w
9th Jul 2007, 15:31
yup...as etihad has a older generation of aircrafts...you will have to go through training AGAIN !!!! :)

777w
9th Jul 2007, 15:45
for the english teacher....my ex-flatmate was a hair stylist from toni and guy and he did work around his schedule to cut hair....but lemme tell u it was a hush hush....private not legal thingy!!!!!!!!:ok:

SkyHighFlyGal
10th Jul 2007, 11:32
777w - thanks for that tip! :ooh:

whatzmyname - I know there are a few different locations cc stay at, but if anyone has any pics of where they are (even if it is not the place I'll end up in) I'd really appreciate seeing them via PM... just wondering what they are like before I sign on the dotted line... are they serviced...? are there gym-like facilities onsite or nearby? are they usually in nice areas of town, close to transport/shops etc? I've never been to DBX before so I am unsure as to what to expect... sure it will be fabulous, but I got caught once signing a contract that was a big mistake... long story!

Luv
SHFG :p

ITO
10th Jul 2007, 12:33
I would like to aske a question to the follow colleagues on EK and EY. Let's suppose that you go somewhere out oo the U.A.E, on your days off. Do you have any obligation to come back 12H befor your next rostered flight ? And if let's say, you had a problem, and you come back late, and you have been already replaced by another crew on standby ( poor crew lol ), is there any sanction ?

Thank's.

Leito
10th Jul 2007, 12:50
The apartments are very different from each others, most buildings have gym and pool and the ones that don't, they have it near by, we also get the chance to use for free the gym and pool facilities on some hotels.

The flats are not service, if you mean "maid", but its very cheap to share with your flat mates for a weekly cleaner service, it's up to you.

The location again is very different as they are lots of EK accomodations, some are close by shops some aren't, so, it's the luck of the day I guess, regarding local transport, I must admit that I have never been on a bus in Dubai, so I can't really tell you much about it, but taxis are widely available and if you get along with your flat mates you can share the taxis to the supermarket or things like that, most crew buy car shortly after joining because it ends up being cheaper than taking taxis everyday, then again it's totally up to you and it all depends where your flat is located because you might not even need to buy car.

There is a pick up bus before your flight and a drop off bus after your flight that thakes you from your building to the training college / briefing center and back.

The flats are 2 or 3 bedrooms, some have the bathroom inside, some on the corridor, some you might have to share the bathroom, but the bedroom is yours and you don't share it, (well, unless you find some one special :suspect: ) je je je. There is a corfew from 01:00 to 07:00 when no one outside EK can stay in your flat, how ever if the guest is EK then it's no problem.

The flats are fully furnished, there is everything except TV, audio system, etc., however all kitchen stuf is there including fridge, washing machine / dryer, bed stuf. So, there is no need to buy anything major, and if you live in a place that someone is already living then there is no need to buy TV and lots of stuf as most flat mates are ok and will share it.

You will be given advances of money back you will have to pay back all of it, apart from 500 DHS that is "a welcome gift", I would recomend that you bring some extra cash as it's difficult at the begining to get yourself sorted because you are not earning that much money as you will be in training college for 6 weeks and then you will start flying, so for at least 3 months your salary wont be that good.

I hope that this have helped a bit, regarding the pictures I have to agree with the rest, it's impossible to send you any because it's all very different from one to the other but over all it's fine and you won't be making any mistake. Go for it !!! :ok:

Leo

lindaflychick
10th Jul 2007, 13:37
with regard to the curfew between 1am - 7am. if you are not working, do you have to be back in your apartment by 1am, so is it only for having people to stay?

Thanks

Leito
10th Jul 2007, 13:48
Read again.......

The flats are 2 or 3 bedrooms, some have the bathroom inside, some on the corridor, some you might have to share the bathroom, but the bedroom is yours and you don't share it, (well, unless you find some one special :suspect: ) je je je. There is a corfew from 01:00 to 07:00 when no one outside EK can stay in your flat, how ever if the guest is EK then it's no problem.

You dont need to be back by 01:00, this is only for guest, that's why there is a book at the reception where your guests must sign in and if they are EK they must write the staff number as well, so the security guy knows, if the guest is not EK he/she must leave your flat by 01:00 and only return by 07:00.

I hope that it's clear now, take care !!!! :)

Leo

Flyrules
10th Jul 2007, 14:39
Leito,

Thank you for your the email you sent the other day. I have sent all medicals and singed the contract already. I got an email this morning saying that they will get back to me ASAP. I reckon, it will be another week or so.....So far my start date is Sept 14th.

I was going to send you and email asking everything you already wrote about in a previous post. Thank you anyway! Very helpful.

You mentioned we will recieve 500DHS (which is about USD135), How much should I bring with me for the 6-week training? Also, Will I be able to open a bank account straight away? The reason I am asking is because it will be easier for me to transfer money from my home Citi account to a new Citi account in DXB. I already asked and they won't charge any fees. I uderstand we will be located at some sort of hotel while in training, right? Will they pay for meals, laundry, transport, etc? (I remember American Airlines paid for all these expenses while I was in training at DFW Flagship University during 5 weeks time).

Also, I was told we will be trainned on B772-B77W and A330 to start. When can you fly A345 and A343?

Sorry about the long message but as the day gets closer I am getting more anxious.

Fly Rules:ok:

SkyHighFlyGal
10th Jul 2007, 14:48
Thanks LEITO! That is reeeeally helpful info, greatly appreciated....... I guess the curfew means that means that my days of bringing random men home is over!! (unless of course they are EK crew, but that could become incestuous!)

That was a joke... seriously! :}

Cheers,

SHFG:p

Leito
10th Jul 2007, 21:58
When I joined, (8 years ago :\) I brought money with me but never used it as what they gave us was enough, then again some people will buy everything on the first month, (mobile phone, laptop, I-pod, etc, etc) which you dont really need straight away, but there again it's up to you, you can open the bank account streight away and they will offer you credit card and loan and the whole circus, please be careful, I suggest you to stay away from loans because they are a never ending story, unless of course you need it for something urgent, but you guys are old enough to know this.

The most used banks by the crew I believe are HSBC and Mashrek Bank, how ever there are lots and lots more, so, do take you time and do some research on them before signing in and open an account as they offer you different things and packages. I believe that bringing a couple of thousend dollars wouldn't be a bad idea, but honestly you'll do fine as during the 6 very intense weeks of training you won't have time to spend it as you will be studying everyday.

During those 6 weeks you will get the basic salary, about 1000 u$s a month and on the first day you will be given your uniform, everything, including suit case, shoes, socks, the lot!!, so I believe that the last day of the 1st week you will be wearing it already, maybe earlier, they will let you know.

You will be trained in all the aircrafts, A332, A343, A345, B772 and B773, (all that with the ER and ULR variants, but its all the same) and once that you graduate you will be flying them all.

About the hotel, I dont know, some times that happens when they have too many crew training and not enough accomodatuion ready, maybe its for a couple of weeks, maybe for longer. The hotel is good because they clean it up for you, but then again you can't cook, therefore you will be spending in restaurant, so I can't tell you anything about that.

You will have a bus that will take you to the training college and back and of course that the dry cleaning of your uniform is free, there is a dry cleaning facility at the training college, and by the way, you might start training in the new college that it's simply amazing, it's all new and has the three simulators, two moving ones, A332/343/345 and B772/773 and a fix A380 all next to the swimimg pool, you wont believe your eyes !!!.

Once again I hope that this info helped, take care !!!

Leo

Flyrules
10th Jul 2007, 22:10
Leito,

Thanks a lot! All things going well, I will see you in September!:p

Gone U/S
10th Jul 2007, 23:23
Leito great post of information ... Thanks for the insight.

Just curious how you feel about and other crew feel about the curfew from 0100 - 0700. If you have friends and family visiting you from overseas, does that mean they cannot stay in your apartment building with you? Is there any way around the curfew?

For instance if i am in a long distance relationship and my partner comes to vist, will my partner have to stay in a separate hotel when i am living down the road in one of the EK apartments .... and therefore have to pay some dosh for a hotel??

Seems a bit harsh.....

Leito
10th Jul 2007, 23:42
Seems quite normal question.

When you have family or friends from over seas then you must fiil out a form signed by your flat mates so that they are ok by you having visitors, you can only bring max of 2 people at the same time and for a period of 2 months I believe, so, when the form is filled up you give it to the security guy downstairs and accoodation looks at it and within a few days they give you the answer of wether is accepted or dennied the aplication.

As per the rest of the crew no one minds because most people visiting the flats are crew themself, so they can stay.

Some buildings dont have security and therefore they don't have corfew, (don't ask), but those buildings are very popular je je je :rolleyes:.

Gone U/S
11th Jul 2007, 00:07
and just two more question Leito or anyone else who is out there...

1.Air Crew require visas in order to enter the USA. How long after joining do you go for the interview for the visa? Is it merit based? Are there only selected crew who can operate to JFK and the US.

2.Is it true that crew need to undergo special training to fly on the ULTRAlong haul flights? Is yes, then how is this undertaken?

tingz
11th Jul 2007, 07:26
leito,

it's good to see what you posted here...
I guess it clear most of our doubts...

By the way, leito, what type of test we gonna to take during the training?is that all by written or with practical as well, o mayb oral?

and for the swimming part, how was the training like?

I know it's may sound silly, but hope for reply.

Thank you.

Leito
11th Jul 2007, 16:50
Soon after you graduate you will have roster a date with your batch mates to go to the American Consulate in Dubai to get your visa, (only working visa R C1/D and it's valid for 5 years), the aplication will be filled out during the first week in Dubai, that's why it's always a very good idea to bring at least 20 photos because you will be filling out lots of paper work. Every one will go to get the visa because at the moment we have 3 dayly flights to JFK and in December we start to go to Huston, next year there will be more North American destinations, so all crew will get it, they might be some nationalities that don't get it, but most will.

There is not any extra ULR training, so, any one will fly those destinations provided that they have the visa.

During training you will be doing exams nearly every second day, some written, some practicals, some open questions, they try to make it as fun and diverse as possible because although it's a very seriuos stuf the trainers know that you will learn better having fun, so, I can only tell you that for those six weeks you won't have a life, your life will be around training college and your books at home, study study and study :}.

The swiming pool it's freeeeeeezing, but you will have to get in it with the life jacket, also a t-shirt, jeans and socks, and all you will have to do is get back on the slide raft, no swiming contest I'm afraid and no extra points for "style" either je je je.

Missworld, get on the website habibi, www.emiratesgroupcareers.com (http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com) and do some research, there is plenty of info in there and posted here, when I came to Dubai I didn't know anything and I survived, so some times you have to take a chance, once again, it's the good attitude that allows me to stay this long here and you have the choice every single day to have the best flight of your life or the worst, it's not the pax nor it's the rest of your colleagues, it's YOU !!! :D

Good luck !!!

Leo

Flyrules
11th Jul 2007, 19:44
Hmmm. I currently hold a U.S. -R- type visa (short business/leisure). I wonder if is the same visa they issue for EK Crew:rolleyes:. I had it since I was 2 years old and they keep renewing it every 5 years.

This is the same visa I use to get into the U.S. either for turism or work (as AA employee). I guess I will find out when I get to Dubai.

Thanks for the info!

Flyrules
12th Jul 2007, 13:14
MissSmith & PB138,

I believe this is a EK Cabin Crew forum. Answers to all your questions and more details about the recruitment process with Emirates can be found at: EMIRATES - Wannabees & Recruitment I and EMIRATES - Wannabees & Recruitment II. Those forums have plenty of valuable information. My suggestion is to go thru every single message posted and you will do just fine during the OD you are planning to attend.

Also, keep in mind that your first resource must be the EK careers website, read it carefully. www.emiratescareers.com (http://www.emiratescareers.com)

Good Luck.

tsteddy2004
15th Jul 2007, 11:51
Hi,
I have got the confirmation letter from EK recently, just need to pass the body checks, then i will become part of the EK family.
I underatnd the salary is split into fixed and flying pay, but do we have to do fly 60-80 hours in order to qualify for the flying pay, or we will be paid by each hour that we fly?

Anyone knows any crew who has had laser sugrey after joining? It says if someone had laser sugrey has to wait for 3 months before joining, so i thought i may do that after joinning.

thanks!

Leito
16th Jul 2007, 02:50
I've done the lasik 10 months ago, just before I went on holidays, so I suggest that you do the same so that you rest your eyes and don't expose it to the dry air of the cabin while working, you must take lots of care and use eye drops, that's why I suggest to take a brake from flying after the operation, where I had it done, Emirates gets discount and it's a first class treatment.

Good luck !!!

Leo

lvaxf
16th Jul 2007, 08:21
Hiya everyone!
Just want to explain something, lots of people in the company talking about the new "ULR" aircraft:
The EK fleet is:
A330-200
A340-300
A340-500
B777-200
B777-200ER (no major difference with the standard 200, just different Take Off Weights)
B777-200LR (Longer Range)
B777-300
B777-300ER

ULR (Ultra Long Range) is the type of operation that the aircraft is able to operate but it's not a type of aircraft itself. The latest 77W that the company has received have the bunks, new seats bla bla bla and it's able to operate ULR flights but it has the same performance as the 1st 77W delivered to EK (A6-EBA). The 772LR (77L) is a different type of aicraft with new wings, undercarriage, weights... therefore the difference with the other 777-200s.

Cheers!

TightSlot
16th Jul 2007, 09:22
This thread is for discussions amongst thoe employed as CC at Emirates only, not for wannabees etc. - As a result, several deletions today

777w
16th Jul 2007, 11:29
hey guys..i just applied for the service facilitator...but have no real clue as to wat exactly is the job description...any leads????

Leito
16th Jul 2007, 15:13
I also applied and so most of my friends but no one has a clue of what it is, so, soon we wll find out who got it and what will the job be.

Good Luck !!! :ok:

Leo

SkyHighFlyGal
17th Jul 2007, 09:51
Good evening, "colleagues"! I can officially say that now, as I have just received my start date of October 12, and I seriously cannot wait until I can get it started!

I have a few questions in anticipation of my start date that I was hoping some people might be able to help with?

1 - With the trips you get, would you say you MOSTLY get trips away (involving overnights) or mostly return trips, say to India and back? What proportion of layover trips or day return trips would be in a typical roster?

2 - With the trip allocation, if I am from Australia, will they mostly roster me for Australian flights? I have been living in Hong Kong for the last 5 years (although I am Aussie) and am really hoping I will be able to bid for trips to Hong Kong, USA etc. Will such requests often be rejected in favour of 'country of origin' trips?

3 - I understand we receive luggage as part of our joining package. Do you think I would be better to bring my things over in boxes rather than suitcases (if I am going to be provided with brand new suitcases when I get there, I probably won't need extra suitcases, will i?)

4 - Do EK have a hotel contract with a particular chain that they usually stay in? (eg - I know with Virgin Blue (my old employer), they usually stay in the Holiday Inn if there is one)

5 - When I come over, can I bring food into dubai? What about when I go on trips, am I allowed to bring packaged or fresh food into the country? When I was living in Hong Kong, I would often bring back meat and cheese from Australia because it was really expensive to buy in HK, and the quality was much better in Aus - is this allowed in Dubai?

6 - Regarding ladies' grooming for nails - do most have acrylic nails on? Or are well manicured natural nails acceptable?

7 - Can I bring alcohol into Dubai, either as a pax or crew member? I love Australian/NZ wine...

8 - I know this seems trivial, but I was just wondering... are UAE bathrooms similar in lay out to Western bathrooms? (ie - a bath, shower, basin etc?) I had a rather surprising cultural experience going to japan recently, their bathrooms are completely different. What are bathrooms like in Dubai?

9 - Are there rules against taking antidepressant medication? I have in the past taken them, as I occasionally suffer from depression and wondered if I can bring them in with me, if a doctor certifies my need for them. Or would you suggest I don't, as the company would frown on it?

Ummm..... That's all I can think of for now.... many many thanks for those who are willing and able to help this newbie!

SHFG :p

Leito
17th Jul 2007, 12:03
First I must say "MABROUK" or congratulations for joining the family, I bet it was worth waiting for the call, now relax and get ready for the trip, at least you have a couple of months to do so.

I will try to answer most of your questions, so, here it goes.....

1) Regarding the trips we get a fair share of everything, you could end up doing 2 or 3 turn arounds in a week, followed by 2 lay overs and then some more turn arounds, the thing is that it all depends of the group that you are placed into for the bids system, I will try to explain this, wish me luck :}.....
We are all placed in 7 groups, and every month one group will be on top, ie: lets say that for August the groups would be 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. So, group 1 will be on top and therefore will get most of the trips that they bid for, while group 7 will be on reserve during August. On September it will rotate, so, 2,3,4,5,6,7,1 now Group 2 is on top while group 1 is on reserve, and so on and so on, eventually all groups will be on top and all groups will be on reserve, so it doesn't matter how junior or senior you are we all get to do it all. We can do 5 bids including days off, so, while on top or 2nd top you could get most of what you want, (it's only a wish list at the end of the day and nothing is garanteed), and on reserve you have 35 days on a blank roster, sometimes it comes partially filled with flights but you will also have to do stand by a few days, it will all be explained to you in detail once you are here.

2) Only for language speaker they might take in consideration to send you to certain country, ie: if you speak Russian then you could do more DME flights than other crew, not necessary the rule but in some cases it's like that, but if you bid correctly and your group its nearly on top then you could end up going where ever you want, as I said, we all do everything.

3) It's up tp you if you want to bring boxes but most people bring a suitcase, even though one will be provided by the company, it's your call.

4) No hotel contracts, as it would be very difficult to have the same hotel chain all over the world, but all 4 or 5 stars.

5) Food into DXB it's not a problem, you can even bring pork or what ever food you want, but becareful, you being Astralian should know better that some countries (like yours) are very picky when it comes to importing of food, fruits, seeds, plants, etc. So just be aware !!!.

6) Cant help you in this one I'm afraid, but you will have a grooming session and can ask the ladies on your class.

7) Yes, I believe that it's 4 littres, again you will be informed about this.

8) Ever heard of cultural awareness?, well my dear, you will be happy to know that the bathroom it's not like the japanese style, I actually think it's cool that one, but anyway, it's not.

9) I don't advise you to tell anyone about your anti depressants pills, most of that stuff it's banned over here, so be careful, and think again if you are really going to be ok being here on your own as life can be tough sometimes and lonliness can take over, you need to be very strong emotionally or else you will suffer, many crew can take it :=.

I hope that it helps, once again, you will be informed about all this things once you get here, so don't worrie about a thing, when I came I knew nothing about the company or Dubai and I survived, so chill out and relax your time at home, make most of it !!!!:ok:

Leo

Flyrules
17th Jul 2007, 13:50
Hello Everyone,

I recieved the FINAL APPROVAL today! DOJ: Sept 14th:D

FlyRules:ok:

____________________________________________________________ ___

Leo,

Thank you for that last email. Once again, you have answered most of the questions I had!

See you in Dubai.

lvaxf
17th Jul 2007, 19:00
6 - Regarding ladies' grooming for nails - do most have acrylic nails on? Or are well manicured natural nails acceptable?

Not surprised by the question regarding girls' nails :) But as Leito said, you'll have a grooming session where, if i remember correctly, they didn't recommend acrylic nails. Anyway, you'll have plenty time on board to treat your nails...

7 - Can I bring alcohol into Dubai, either as a pax or crew member? I love Australian/NZ wine...

I can't remember if it was 4 litres or 4 bottles, we'll have to double check...

Jessmin
18th Jul 2007, 02:42
Leito.

Read all your replies in the forum. You been exceptionally helpful and clear to everyone. Pretty cool on some silly questions like culture awarenes and medication. I know what you meant. an ex crew myself. Thank you for your hep.

FLYRULE
Congratulation, still owe me that drink in DUBAI..... see you soon amigo.

SkyHighFlyGal
18th Jul 2007, 07:16
Thank you for your replies, Leito and lvaxf. Most helpful, I really appreciate your time and assistance.... beer's on me when I get to Dubai!! :ok::ok::ok:

frajo
18th Jul 2007, 09:32
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumour that Emirates is opening a base in Cairns?

Thanks

777w
18th Jul 2007, 10:18
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumour that Emirates is opening a base in Cairns?

Thanks

No....there is no such thing happening in the near future and cairns does not have the airport capacity or pax demand for ek to open a base there.

frajo
18th Jul 2007, 11:11
Thanks for that 777w

Not the answer I was looking for though! :{

Leito
20th Jul 2007, 03:23
I havent heard of Cairns either, if more flights are granted it will be BNE most definitely and direct, then again it is only a rumor but this one has been going on for a long time now.

All Australian routes are doing extremely well and I have no doubts that more flights are needed to cope with the demand.

Good luck !!! :ok:

Leo

Ell J
20th Jul 2007, 13:36
:rolleyes:Hi all,
I've just submitted all my Medical info and Xrays etc to Dubai today via email. Have a question though as there is one thing which is worrying me.
I had my first smear test about 4 years ago where they found Mild Dysklarosis (spelt something like that) which is basically mildly abnormal cells. I was referred to my local NHS Hospital's Coloscopy clinic who I've seen every 6 months for a test, my last smear in December 2006 came back with clear results (third one in a row that came back clear) so the letter I have submitted to Dubai states this:

I have recently rec the result of the smear test you had taken in the Coloscopy Clinic and am happy to report that this has come back negative (yay). You are therefore discharged back to your GP where you will require two more smears at yearly intervals. If these are both negative you can then return to your routine screening under the NHS Cervical Smear Programme (which I think is every 3 years)

Is this likely to be a problem? Arrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:confused:
Thanks
Ell J

SkyHighFlyGal
20th Jul 2007, 14:05
Hi Ell J,

My medical form just has a section where the doc has to circle, I have cut and pasted below:

. Cervical Smear : Normal / Abnormal/ Not Indicated / Refused

So I'm wondering why you needed to submit a letter at all? I was under the impression you just took this to the doc, who circled the correct answer (in your case 'normal'), and that was it??

In any event, I think it should be fine for employment - you even had the option to refuse the test if you have never been sexually active, so they are not going to not hire you because you have had an abnormal test result in the past.... but whether they will cover you with medical insurance, seeing you have pre-existing 'abnormal cells' might be another story...

That's my take on it, anyway. Let us know how you go!

lvaxf
20th Jul 2007, 14:13
hey guys could someone post the latest agreement with the OZ gvmnt regarding the flights there and new destinations? i know it was revised a few months ago, but i have VERY short term memory

Ell J
20th Jul 2007, 14:15
Hi SHFG:p

Thanks for your reply. My Doctor did circle the Normal one and just checked the paperwork that they sent me and it says they require a Cervical Smear Test Report, which is why I submitted the letter of conformation along with it. Would the medical insurance be an issue? As in could it prevent my meds form being approved therefore I don't get the job because of it or would it mean if I have an Cervix related issues I would have to cough up for anything required?

hmmmmm confusing stuff. Anyway will provide an update as and when I hear!

lvaxf
20th Jul 2007, 14:28
Emirates Airline has been granted rights to operate additional flights into Australia, after the successful negotiations between the governments of Australia and the United Arab Emirates.
Emirates will gradually increase its frequency to the four cities it currently serves – Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth – and the new agreement will allow Emirates to grow its services from 49 flights a week to 84 flights a week between now and 2011. This will mark an increase of 71 per cent in its services to Australia.
Emirates currently serves Australia with double dailies to Sydney, Melbourne and Perth and a daily flight to Brisbane.

SkyHighFlyGal
20th Jul 2007, 15:08
Ell J - ahhh... I understand now.... I took the 'report' to be the circled word on the EK form... but it seems from reading the notes on page 2 that they do want test results/reports too....

I think you'll be ok.... seriously, I had similar test results once, and the doctor told me that about 80% of women at some time in their life will have abnormalities. That would mean 80% of the women EK interviews would have to be turned down if they would deny employment on this fact, which would mean zillions of wasted dirhams in their recruitment process!!

I am dreading the cost that this medical is going to be - I have spent $200 AUD on photos (that sky blue back ground for the photos is not easy to do at home!), and the medical will probably be just as much... eeeeek! Anyway, it will all be worth it when we get to do the amazing job that it is going to be!!

:D

Flyrules
20th Jul 2007, 15:18
SFHG,

You are absolutely right: It is all worth it!

I spent just as much money as you guys for medicals and photos (around USD400) PLUS I had to have everything translated (an additional cost). Keep in mind that you will be asked for another 24 passport size photos (skyblue background) to take with you to DXB.

Now that I got the final approval, I wouldnt mind spending another 400 bucks ìf I had to! :p

Ell J
20th Jul 2007, 15:25
SHFG Thank you I feel less stressed over it now : )

Yep they are costly - mines totalled to around £400 however if I get the job I won't care less! Fingers crossed and I'll see you in DXB :ok:

Jessmin
20th Jul 2007, 15:31
FLYRULES AND Ell J
I understand we have to 20 passport size which i already got and 4 of 3cm x 3.3cm, isn't that' unusual size? do they want us to take the photo in full length? pls help if you can.

Ell J
20th Jul 2007, 15:35
Hi Jessmin, The form states 20 pics - no size stated and 4 pics 3cm x 3.5cm, aside form this i'm not sure. Think we'd better go back to Emirates Wannabees and Recruitment before the moderators or existing crew tell us to shove off ;) Sorry for imposing guys

777w
20th Jul 2007, 19:13
hey guys..just need your views...since we now have 84 allocated frequencies to the OZ...u think once the 380's come they will do the direct flights and the 777's will do transit flights such as bkk-syd!!!! also nebody heard of an adelaide shuttle in the reckoning!!!! views will be appreciated :)

whatzmyname
20th Jul 2007, 19:38
Emirates has said over and over again that the rumors that we are going to have another base are absolubtely untrue. For some reason the Aussie crew believe we are going to have a base there. It is not happening. Dubai will always be our base and there will be no other.
Yes, they are increasing Australia flights though. They will be starting Adelaide but the dates have not been decided yet. That is the only and last Australian destination that will be added. They want to increase flights to Brisbane too,as they are all overbooked daily. They are considering direct Brisbane flights on Boeing with CRC. Dont know when or if this will happen. We will see.
The current 9 day route of DXB-SIN-BNE-SIN-DXB is a killer though...Crew always going sick or having catfights onboard. My friend just came back from on of those flights and they had a debriefing on every sector! They were fighting among each other. Sounds terrible. That is why I avoid that flight like the plague.

lvaxf
20th Jul 2007, 23:12
rumors say perth-adelaide
rumors say direct bne when more equipment arrives
rumors say auckland via adelaide
rumors say the 380 will serve 5 destinations at the beggining: lhr, cdg, syd, jfk and another which i can't remember

rumors, rumors, rumors but few facts for now

SkyHighFlyGal
20th Jul 2007, 23:53
Hey Watzmyname,

Why are these flights dbx-sin-bne-sin-dbx so awful? Do you do more than one sector in a day, or is it just that they are so full?

Interested, as I am from bne and was hoping to bid for these trips now and then! Also, I thought the trip also had a bne-akl-bne stint attached too? Or was that hogwash?

Cheers

lvaxf
21st Jul 2007, 00:22
the BNE trip ain't that bad, but honestly it depends on the crew you have.
some people don't like to be away for 9 days, and sometimes conflicts happen amogst the crew.
after the first 2 nights in BNE you do the shuttle to AKL and then another 2 nights in BNE. great flight to do in the summer, during a weekend or with a buddy!

whatzmyname
21st Jul 2007, 04:07
It all depends on the crew that you have for that flight. You can have long flight with great crew and then time flies, but if you have a wrong mixture then every day and every sector is absolute torture. The flight itself is actually okay. It is just the drama among the crew that can sometimes make it a bad flight.
Like I always say, It starts from the top. If the seniors are nice,the flight goes well.....
I was just telling others about my friends experience on her Brisbane trip. It doesn't mean that it happens all the time.
Good luck with your rosterbids. I just got the worst roster for August:{

Leito
21st Jul 2007, 05:49
Well habibi, you know the magic word ... E-SWAP :ok:, thanks God for that or else I would have gone mental long ago :}.

By the way, did you guys also get the letter from Terry saying thank you for applying to the service facilitator?, I thought that it was nice to get it, at least now I know that it's on the selection process, I still don't have a clue what it is for anyway, and everyone that I ask seems to be in the same situation :confused:.

Anyway, good luck with the swaps and hope that your roster turns out to be a better one.

Take it easy !!!

777w
21st Jul 2007, 20:08
thanks for the interesting views on the oz destinations...i too have received a letter from ours trully mr.terry but thats that..no more news than that on the service facilitator...i hope my roster turns out a lil better than this month...i did 3 manchesters in a row!!!! how bout a mabrouk for not turning insane!!!!!!!!:)

SkyHighFlyGal
22nd Jul 2007, 00:23
Ahhh - yes, 9 days would be long to essentially live with people you didn't get along with.... glad to hear the trip itself is not too bad... infact, 2 nights in BNE each stop sounds pretty frickin awesome! That one will definitely be on my bid list, along with flights to my old haunt Hong Kong.... :)

Isn't that one of the fabulous things about our job though - if you do work with an awful crew, you know that it is not going to last longer than, say, 9 days? My previous job, I was stuck working with the same people for a full YEAR! That really tests the patience! :ugh:

I'm off for my medicals this week - I know this is a long shot, but thought I would ask - does anyone know a Doctor in BNE who has experience doing the EK medicals, or is reasonably priced?

Cheers all,

SkyHighFlyGal
22nd Jul 2007, 01:02
Hey again EK crew,

Can someone confirm or deny what I've heard that Televisions are not provided in the crew accommodation in DBX?

I have a small LCD TV, was thinking of bringing it with me if one won't be provided.

Cheers

Leito
22nd Jul 2007, 02:35
TV is not provided ,so take your along if you can. :E

lvaxf
22nd Jul 2007, 18:00
is it really worth bringing it over?
TVs here are sooo cheap, and the dvd players, you can get a new set for about 150 oz dollars

SkyHighFlyGal
23rd Jul 2007, 07:23
Hi lvafx

Thanks for your post - TVs are that cheap, eh?? Maybe I will sell this one here and then buy one over there... means I have more kg for shoes then!! :) :)

What would a flat screen TV cost in Dubai approx? (I know you said $150 for a DVD/TV set, was wondering what type you are referring to).

Cheers

lvaxf
23rd Jul 2007, 10:25
150 oz dollars will buy you a 21inch tv and dvd player, of course of some chinese brand

for 800 oz you can buy a 32 inch LCD (the one i have) and there is always something on sale or a special offer

don't bring shoes only! bring some beef and we'll have a bbq! :)

whatzmyname
23rd Jul 2007, 10:27
The prices vary according to the brand but it will still be a lot cheaper to buy it in Dubai. You will be too busy the first few weeks to watch tv anyways. (I'm assuming your a newbie?)If they place you with a flatmate that has been here a while,chances are good your flatmate already bought a TV. Wait till you get here.
Just bring your ipod or whatever along. It helps with all the studying you will be doing......:E Dont forget to buy a travel adaptor. Your appliances might not work in the plugs here. Actually come to think of it,adaptors are also a lot cheaper here,so just come on over!:p

Flyrules
23rd Jul 2007, 15:11
Hey Guys,

I have a question regarding personal travel on EK. As Cabin Crew are we allowed to travel CJ (Crew Jumpseat) at no charge? Or ONLY uniformed cabin crew are to be assigned jumpseats?

Leito
23rd Jul 2007, 16:04
Jump seat? :} never ever ever ever !!!!!!, not even in the cock pit, totally out of the question, but don't ask me why though :uhoh:.

lvaxf
23rd Jul 2007, 17:43
"security reasons"

SkyHighFlyGal
24th Jul 2007, 11:26
I have a similar staff travel question... I see on my contract it says that I am entitled to use economy staff travel, or may be upgraded to business class on duty flights only.

Is there any stage in the cabin crew hierarchy when we can travel stand by on business class/ first class? (ie - when we are purser etc?)

Thanks guys,

lvaxf
24th Jul 2007, 16:52
You're entitled to business class upgrade when you are a purser, obviously depending on the availability. Also when travelling on duty, or you can buy ID90 with Lufthansa.

In training there is air con, bu you'll only wear your shirts for a day or two, the rest is with the company uniform (long sleeve shirt). Buy deodorant. Lots of it... :}

steegily
25th Jul 2007, 19:57
why an id90 on lufthansa? are they more generous when it comes to that sort of thing?

pepito.perez
26th Jul 2007, 22:10
Any company is more generous when it comes to staff travel than ek. Even ey.
Cheers

SkyHighFlyGal
27th Jul 2007, 13:19
Pepito - what's the deal with EY? As far as I can tell the staff travel is pretty good at EK? Only bummer is that i can't put down a travelling companion other than a family member (and while I love my family, not sure I will love travelling with them!! :P )

Flyrules
27th Jul 2007, 13:33
SFHG,

I totally agree with you:D

Right now I am about to give up a GREAT travel-benefits package with American Airlines: unlimited Premium Cabin (First and Business) travel for employee, parents, immediate family -one registered companion-, 12 additional travel buddies -on the entire AA network-, ZED tickets and ID90/75 with most major carriers worldwide. These sort of packages are standard for U.S. based carriers. Yet, the only people who actually enjoy my travel benefits are my parents and my little sister. So I am very pleased with EK`s offer, can hardly wait to start.

I reckon Emirates offers a decent package, pretty good for industry standards.

777w
28th Jul 2007, 20:10
http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Awards_2007/AirlineYear-2007.htm (http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Awards_2007/AirlineYear-2007.htm)

The top 10 airlines are:

1. Singapore
2. Thai
3. Cathay
4. Qatar
5. Qantas
6. Malaysia
7. Air New Zealand
8. China Airlines
9. Emirates
10. British Airways

Flyrules
28th Jul 2007, 21:04
NO WAY!!!

Agree: Singapore, Cathay and Emirates:)

Strongly Disagree: Qatar, Air New Zealand, China Airlines and British Airways:yuk:

Neutral: Qantas, Thai:bored:

1 Singapore Airlines
2 Thai Airways
3 Cathay Pacific
4 Qatar Airways
5 Qantas
6 Malaysia Airlines
7 Air New Zealand
8 China Airlines
9 Emirates
10 British Airways

PS: I wonder why not a single U.S. based carrier made it to the top:rolleyes:.....he he he.....

keeperboy
28th Jul 2007, 21:46
Hey all,
I've just got a quick question for you guys.
There has been loads in the press in the UK the past couple days about a BA flight from Milan - London that was delayed as a member of the qatari royal family and his entourage were booted off the flight by the captain. This stemmed from the fact that the sheikh was not happy that some of the female members of the party had to sit next to un-related males. The sheikh had not advised BA in advance of his special requirements, had not checked in/selected his seats online etc etc. I am guessing he was quite a 'junior' royal as VIPs/Royal etc are usually handled by BA Special Services as a matter of course.
He pretty much just turned up on the (full) flight and assumed that his needs would be sorted out. This would have involved moving other business class passengers many whom were travelling with loved ones etc also. Anyway, the crew asked several passengers (whom had pre-selected their seat) if they would move/split but could not find volunteers. The flight began to taxi and the royal family member, still not happy, walked up to the flight deck door, knocked on it and demanded to speak to the captain. At this, the captain taxiied back to the stand and offloaded the royal and his entire entourage.
I was just wondering how an arab/middle eastern carrier such as Emirates would have handled the situation? :confused:

BA Crew.

steegily
29th Jul 2007, 08:36
Wow. American Airlines sounds wonderful. Can't believe that your friends didn't take full advantage of those perks.

So, apart from Lufthansa, which other airlines are EK staff entitled to use?

tbaylx
29th Jul 2007, 11:54
Keeperboy,

Probably the same way the BA handled it. Least most of the flightdeck crew wouldn't be too impressed with that type of behaviour.

baob2oba
29th Jul 2007, 13:01
Regarding royal families in the GCC, they have their own airlines.
Some of them fly EK/EY from time to time, i seriously doubt they would act this way.

This scenario wouldn't happen at EK, for many reasons.

Just wondering how the guy could manage to reach the cockpit door while the aircraft was taxiing?...

pepito.perez
29th Jul 2007, 14:17
Hi guys!

About staff travel wiz EK, well, I have to say that the company that I was working for before joining EK was far more generous:
apart from the minimum benefits as ID90/50, zed tickets and immediate family there were some agreements wiz other airlines for ID100, companion tickets for friends, interline discounts, etc..., and I'm not talking about small airlines, I'm referring to AF, KL, BA, AZ, NW, CO, etc...,

Have you ever tried to get a jumpseat on a full EK flight???
Have you ever been upgraded to c/class???
Have you ever got a decent discount on interline packages???
Have you ever got a companion ticket (similar to ID90) for any of your friends wiz EK?

Most of the airlines will upgrade you straight away on the ground if Y/class is overbooked, and most of other airline's pursers will put you on C/class if you introduce yourself at the plane's door and there's space available, and the most important, most of the airlines would do anything to get you on the flight, specially if you are operating on the next day. Personally I've never seen that on EK.

I still remember travelling from fra to vie by train (it took me the whole night plus 120 EUR) because EK was full at fra and I was working the next day. In such circumstances any other airline would have given me even a toilet seat. Plus I paid another 30 eur at vie for reissuing my id90. All for nothing, because a few days later I was told by EY staff that they would have accepted my EK id90 at fra!!.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the ek's package is a bad deal, I'm saying that it can be improved and the company policy regarding staff travel might be more generous.

Cheers!

Leito
29th Jul 2007, 14:42
Didn't you know all that when you signed the contract?, it seems to me that you are working in the wrong airline then.
Staff travel is a privilege and not a right, it's pretty simple, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT !!! each airline will have its rules and regulations and this are the ones that EK has, and its your fault for not having back up tickets with other airlines when you go on holidays, and for not trying to get to DXB earlier if the flights are full, you know that you can check the pax load.

NEXT TIME PLAN YOUR TRIP BETTER HABIBI AND STOP CRYING ABOUT !!!! :8

Flyrules
29th Jul 2007, 15:08
TOTALLY WITH YOU , LEITO!

NON-REV travels means: S.M.A.R.T. travels. It is a benefit not an obligation from the airline. That`s why they are called "Travel Benefits" as opposed to "Travel Rights".

As far as putting non-trainned staff on jumpseats or lavatories (I`ve seen it done in some small airlines) just to get them to their detination, I think is rather irresponsible and unsafety from any prospective, for pax and employees.

Honestly, I wouldnt feel safe working for an airline with such travel policies.

No further comments.

pepito.perez
29th Jul 2007, 15:09
Hi Leito!,

I'm not saying it's EK's fault that I didn't get on that flight. I knew the loads in advance however I decided to take the risk. I know it was a bad movement from my side, but I'm not discussing that, habibi.

My whole post was about how generous is EK when it comes to staff travel.
When you are working in the aviation industry and are used to certain things, the ek way of doing it regarding staff travel is a bit disappointing.

It's very sad that there's still people that think that TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT is the way to solve the problems, habibi. Staff travel is not a privilege, it is a right that airline staff have, and be sure that you are enjoying it right now because your fellow colleages fought for it many years ago in other airlines. EK have not discovered anything new, is just following international aviation rules.

Cheers!

Leito
29th Jul 2007, 15:14
Why botther, honestly, go to EY and be happy !! :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Muttley Crew
29th Jul 2007, 18:51
Staff travel is not a privilege, Leito.

Dunno about other airlines but at EK, Staff Travel is a part of your contract. Just like annual leave or getting paid.

Airline management love people like you who think that way but you're not doing anyone else any favours.

baob2oba
29th Jul 2007, 20:53
"Staff travel is a privilege and not a right, it's pretty simple, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT !!!"
"Why botther, honestly, go to EY and be happy !!"

Sad...sad sad sad.... Unfortunately it seems that some of our crews leave for EY where the grass is still fake but where life is less stressful, i have good feedbacks from AD.
Keep in mind that all our """privileges""" come from tough fights between airlines and their employees in USA and EU 20 years ago, we invented nothing. GCAA invented nothing, and this jumpseat policy maybe only reflects the sugar/whip mentality for lovely happy people experiencing a first job here: " oh guyyyyyyyys you're so amazing and pro and blahblahblah, and by the way take a one month CU if you forget your ID".

There's no safety issue positioning flying/non flying-staff on jumpseats, because it's at the discretion of the Capt. There are still some of us for whom "team" has a meaning, where aircrew respect and help each other, may they be GR2 or checkride Capt, where simplicity is a must, because these are the real values and spirit of airmen and aeronautical staff.
Sad to see that an airline now means cash machine. Good to see some of us still carry hope.

Now please, don't go thinking i consider myself uppon some of us. I'm from the very few ones who try to think as a team onboard, when different mentalities and point of views don't buzz with work, when thinking different doesn't mean "arguing" and "attitude".

khallas

pepito.perez
29th Jul 2007, 23:34
Hi baob2oba!

Totally agree with you!. You described the situation as real as it is here. :D
Honestly, thank you for that, it's lovely to see that there is some real airline staff out there. :)

Cheers!

777w
30th Jul 2007, 19:48
Just read this on airliners.net that ek 005 was diverted from its original destination (LHR) to LONDON GATWICK!!!!!!! any leads??? also news in the making of a DXB- Stuttgart and Berlin route!!!
Thoughts????? :hmm:

777w
30th Jul 2007, 19:52
There's no safety issue positioning flying/non flying-staff on jumpseats, because it's at the discretion of the Capt. There are still some of us for whom "team" has a meaning, where aircrew respect and help each other, may they be GR2 or checkride Capt, where simplicity is a must, because these are the real values and spirit of airmen and aeronautical staff.

Dont get me wrong but i am 100% with u that jumpseats shud be allocated to crew travelling back home but ...there are a lot of crew that drink (and i mean DRINK) alcohol before goin on leave which does become a safety issue!!!!!! :ugh:

baob2oba
31st Jul 2007, 17:56
Yep, shame on them, maybe am i too old fashioned but i could never understand why some get drunk before flying, does it look cool?:\

...Allocation of jumpseats should be at the Capt discretion....

Did you receive an email for the A380 boarding test and flight the 18th ?
In the email there should be a YES or NOT reply button but could only find a "confirmed reading" one...

:ugh:

777w
1st Aug 2007, 09:35
Did you receive an email for the A380 boarding test and flight the 18th ?
In the email there should be a YES or NOT reply button but could only find a "confirmed reading" one...

Have no clue mate cuz i am soooo NOT interested in flying any AIRBUS aircrafts!!!!! although a flight review(if u do get onto the 380) would be highly appreciated....g'luck :ok:

Buford
1st Aug 2007, 10:58
I'm ex-EK crew but I left end of 1999. I'm helping my sister with her EK resume/CV and was wondering what the current standard is? Do they want it kept brief or is it still like when I applied in 1996 ie. several pages long with height, weight, marital status, etc? She's submitted her online resume so right now we're putting together her hard copy to hand in at interview.

She's attending the open day on the 11th August in Melbourne.

stw/Jane
1st Aug 2007, 13:18
Hi guys!!!
I just wanted to write few things about this stuff travel thing. I used to work before for two diferent airlines. We were allowed to fly home in cockpit, jump seat...but I'm talking of airlines with 200 cabin crew members.Everybody knew eachother.No problem for safety.
Next flight check PIL and you'll see how many EK staff we have traveling on just one flight. How many jump-seats and buissnies or first class seats should be there.:confused::ugh:
BTW, I found Emirates staff travel scheme very good. My family and I are flying all the time for 10% of real price.:E
Come on guys, that's great deal!!!Be happy that you're working for such airline,because if you think that EK is bad,I want to see you working in any other.
Belive me, EK rules!!!:ok:

whatzmyname
1st Aug 2007, 18:31
I'm glad we have a no-jumpseat policy. Imagine having someone sit there while doing a service? There is already so little space when people stand in line for the toilets. I would also not feel comfortable with Flightdeck jumpseats for obvious reasons.....

I heard about a GR1 and a Purser who got fired a few weeks ago for drugs. The GR1 was returning from Glasgow flight and the security x-ray officers at briefing did a full body check on the purser and the GR1. They found nothing on the purser but the GR1 had a small plastic bag with marijuana.This I know to be true as the purser who got checked told it to me himself..... The other purser that got fired was caught dealing with drugs like cocaine in his apartment. He was very senior. Staffnr starts with '0'. Got sentenced 15 years. He flew for 17 years and was just about to resign and settle down in his home country. He had a wife and 2 kids.
Now I know how these people afford all those fancy cars and gadgets! For some reason it is mostly male crew who do these type of things....I would never do anything like that. Especially not in this part of the world.

Is anyone going to the FACE party?:ok:Sounds like fun.

whatzmyname
1st Aug 2007, 18:43
AIRLINE OF THE YEAR : 2007
RankAirline 2007
1.Singapore Airlines was nr.7 in 2006
2.Thai Airways was nr.4
3.Cathay Pacific was nr.3
4.Qatar Airways was nr.6
5.Qantas was nr.2
6.Malaysia Airlines was nr.9
7.Air New Zealand was nr.18
8.China Airlines was nr.10
9.Emirates was nr.5
10.British Airways was nr.1

Skytrax results announced on www.airlinequality.com (http://www.airlinequality.com) for 2007.

I have flown many times with Thai Airways and they are not nearly as good as Emirates! They dont even have individual screens at their seats! They dont nearly give the amount of food we give on flights. Maybe our passengers were just not voting:( Something is not right with this poll.....sounds a bit corrupt to me.....:sad: I havent flown with Singapore Airlines yet,so I cant really judge them. Cathay deserves their place. What do you guys think?

BHX86
1st Aug 2007, 19:03
Hi everybody.

I am kinda new on PPRuNe, but i am soon planning on enrolling on an airline pilot training course in the UK, and then hopefully one day, when I have the required amount of hours hope to work for Emirates.

Juat following on from 'whatzmyname' post, i have to agree with you. I have flown about 6 times with Emirates in the past few years and every time the quality of the service has been beyond superb. I always recommend the airline to everybody and anybody and don't know why it has been rated so low. I wasn't aware of the Skytrax poll because i sure would have rated it 5 stars. On top of the service, all the ladies CC are all very pretty, well at least the ones that i have seen.

Keep it up people.

p.s. Is Purser used for both male and female head flight attendants. I always thought it was used for females - it seems to have a sort of feminine ring to it. If it is only used for female CC, what are head male CC called.

whatzmyname
1st Aug 2007, 19:35
Yes,Purser is for male or female crewmember who is in charge of flight safety and service. SFS is for the male or female crewmember who is in charge of the cabin (one in business and one in economy) and is deputy to the purser.
Thanks for your comments. We love good feedback from appreciative pax!:ok:

pepito.perez
1st Aug 2007, 22:36
Hi guys!

About staff travel, I only want to say that is really good to have such different opinions about this issue and many others, even though they are so different to mine.
That's what makes this forum so interesting, and not attitudes like "take or leave it" or "go to ey and be happy". It's very nice to see that we all think different but we can share our opinions respecting each other.
I agree with you, EK staff travel is a great deal, but my point of view is that it can be improved, thats all.

And about the RankAirline 2007 I would like to say that I guess there should be a lot of different things into consideration, not only a very good ICE system, that extra croissant or the best crew ever. We all know that 90% of our flights are delayed for so many different reasons. And we all know that our pax are literally packed in the planes. There is a huge difference between flying an AF or KL 777 and an EK 777. AF KL y/class conf is 3/3/3 with plenty of toilets and a very nice self service at the back galley while our a/c are 3/4/3 with hundreds of noisy call bells.
But again, please, don't get me wrong. By saying this I don't mean that I want to work for AF or KL. I mean that I love EK and I really want it to be the no 1 company in the world. Some feedback is nice from pax and sometimes from staff as well.
Cheers.

lvaxf
2nd Aug 2007, 00:23
hey guys, back in town, back in the forum!
staff travel is excellent when used wisely, i know it's a shame that we can't take jumpseats or we are not upgraded... in my former airline everything was done to take all the staff and leave the least amount of people on ground, but rules are rules.

i strongly disagree with the ranking published, cathay should be a bit higher, thai a bit lower, and honestly... how did BA get in the top 10?
are these airlines being measured in the long haul flights only? because their intra-european service isn't great...

EK could certainly improve on certain aspects, our pax don't always complain about the 3-4-3 config, but they are a bit pissed off at the big box under the seat on the 332/343 and some 772s.
ok, so now the new 77w (from a6-eca onwards) don't have the box and what happens? the system is faulty because it overheats due to lack of ventilation. if anyone is travelling/has travelled recently on ek073 to CDG, you will notice there is an engineer on board, he is there to deal and log all the problems and believe me it is a lot of work!!!!

so how can the company improve more? should the boxes reappear and have less legroom? should the seat pitch be higher and have less pax on board (reducing the yields)?

regarding the punctuality (or impunctuality), during one of my briefings a gentleman walked in and explained the statistics for the month of may... i thought the numbers he was giving us were much lower than the real life experience. does anyone know the parameters they use to measure the delays? do they use the "15 minute IATA rule"? and also, how are the delays categorized? would be interesting, because it's easy to say "a quicker boarding reduces time on ground", but also if you have a 442 pax config aircraft don't you think 75 minutes isn't enough to clean/recater/service the plane? restructuring the time at certain outstations could certainly reduce the amount of delays.

just my 2 cents...

777w
2nd Aug 2007, 12:25
ok, so now the new 77w (from a6-eca onwards) don't have the box and what happens? the system is faulty because it overheats due to lack of ventilation. if anyone is travelling/has travelled recently on ek073 to CDG, you will notice there is an engineer on board, he is there to deal and log all the problems and believe me it is a lot of work!!!!

flew on the 2nd operartional flight and it was disastrous!!!! over a 100 seat resets....the seat headrest heats up BIG time but the main problem as told to me by the engineer on board is that ppl toggle to quickly between different modes(interactive-movies-games..etc!!!) and thus the system hangs!!

As for the RANKINGS or watever that is....i have flown SIA and man those guys are SUPER efficient...a classic example is if they tell u 5 mins...they will be back in 4-5 mins tops!!!! although since i have been flying for a while i found them to be TOOO mechanical...there was no human touch...thats where we take the cake...our crew are more "chatty".

As for the rest of the poll...we are DEFINITLY better than AIR NZ and CHINA AIRLINES...the rest of the airlines are debateble. :ok:

lvaxf
2nd Aug 2007, 16:58
AIRLINE OF THE YEAR : 2007
1 Singapore Airlines
2 Thai Airways
3 Cathay Pacific
4 Qatar Airways
5 Qantas
6 Malaysia Airlines
7 Air New Zealand
8 China Airlines
9 Emirates
10 British Airways

Best Airline : Middle East Qatar Airways

Best Regional airline : Middle East Emirates

BEST CABIN STAFF
1 Malaysia Airlines
2 Singapore Airlines
3 Thai Airways
4 Cathay Pacific Airways
5 Qatar Airways

BEST CATERING - First Class
1 Gulf Air
2 Cathay Pacific
3 Singapore Airlines
4 Qantas
5 Korean Air

BEST CATERING - Business Class
1 Austrian
2 Continental Airlines
3 Singapore Airlines
4 Gulf Air
5 bmi British Midland

BEST CATERING - Economy Class
1 Etihad Airways
2 Emirates
3 Malaysia Airlines
4 Singapore Airlines
5 Qantas

BEST INFLIGHT ENTERTAINMENT
1 Emirates
2 Singapore Airlines
3 Cathay Pacific
4 Korean Air
5 Virgin Atlantic

FIRST CLASS LOUNGES
1 Thai Airways - BKK
2 Qatar Airways - DOH
3 Lufthansa - FRA
4 Cathay Pacific - HKG
5 South African Airways - JNB
6 Malaysia Airlines - KUL
7 Korean Air - ICN
8 Singapore Airlines - SIN
9 ANA - NRT
10 Asiana Airlines - ICN

BUSINESS CLASS LOUNGES
1 Virgin Atlantic - LHR
2 Cathay Pacific - HKG
3 Qatar Airways - DOH
4 Qantas Airways - SYD
5 Gulf Air - BAH
6 Malaysia Airlines - KUL
7 China Airlines - TPE
8 Swiss - ZRH
9 Asiana Airlines - ICN
10 Air New Zealand - AKL

BEST FIRST CLASS
1 Qatar Airways
2 Singapore Airlines
3 Cathay Pacific
4 Malaysia Airlines
5 Thai Airways

BEST BUSINESS CLASS
1 Singapore Airlines
2 Virgin Atlantic
3 Cathay Pacific
4 Malaysia Airlines
5 Air New Zealand

BEST ECONOMY CLASS
1 Korean Air
2 Malaysia Airlines
3 Singapore Airlines
4 Qatar Airways
5 Asiana Airlines

lvaxf
2nd Aug 2007, 17:25
I'm surprised how EK is not in the top 5 for J and F classes, although the F product could improve on the 773 and 332.

I think the catering out of DXB isn't that bad, but at some (very few) outstations... my goodness!! All we need is a bit more consistency, me thinks.

Don't know about you guys, but I haven't tried the lounges mentioned so I shouldn't compare, although it can't be that bad!

Cabin Staff: Not even there? We shouldn't let this happen. Recruitment standards should be higher maybe. On board the crew (and the in flight entertainment) make most of the experience for a passenger. Not only on EK, on every airline. So we have to keep up the IFE and improve the crew performance.

777w
2nd Aug 2007, 20:22
BEST ECONOMY CLASS
1 Korean Air

this is ridiculous!!!! cuz korean air does not even have Personal TV's in economy class across their fleet!!!!! :\

lvaxf
2nd Aug 2007, 22:50
Neither does QR on their 320 or AB6...

whatzmyname
3rd Aug 2007, 12:27
Seem like the recipe to become Airline of the Year according to Skytrax is the following:

Remove all the tv screens and place a large screen in the middle of economy that plays commercials and one 90's movie on every flight.
Give pax less food food. Only one service per flight and then it is help yourself in the galley. No special meals unless you paid extra for it or the flight is over 5 hours.
Dont give toys to kids. Forget about photos. No baby bassinets either. Babyfood? Are you dreaming!
Be a bit more 'robotic' and less 'chatty'.What other points could we add?:E

777w
3rd Aug 2007, 19:19
This just out.....

Emirates will receive their first of 10 B777-200LR's in August.
The 1st B777-200LR A6-EWA WD 046: MSN 35572 will leave Seattle on 28/08/2007 at 14H00 local time
and arrive in Dubai on the 29th at 15H00 local time. The schedule have not been released yet for the first
flights but looks like it will do a DXB-BOM-DXB and the following day DXB-PER-DXB for the ETOPS certification flights.
The B777-200LR's will be used to their full capacity in October when they will start DXB-GRU-DXB route witch will be more or less 7592 mi.

waves-dubai
3rd Aug 2007, 19:28
I have flown many times with Thai Airways and they are not nearly as good as Emirates! They dont even have individual screens at their seats! They dont nearly give the amount of food we give on flights. Maybe our passengers were just not voting:( Something is not right with this poll.....sounds a bit corrupt to me.....:sad: I havent flown with Singapore Airlines yet,so I cant really judge them. Cathay deserves their place. What do you guys think?

Sorry to disappoint you guys. Thai Airways may not have the latest inflight entertainment or offer the most generous servings with meal, but they do offer a service that is consistent. The fancy meals and tv crew will not compensate for a crew that is willinging to go above and beyond the needs of the customer.

lvaxf
3rd Aug 2007, 21:56
Some of the airlines mentioned under "BEST CABIN STAFF" have more crew than EK on board, so it is a bit easier to deliver a better and more efficient service.

Can ayone confirm the rumour regarding L4 doing the mid galley in 773s and taking away R5A?

ruserious
4th Aug 2007, 06:02
The ranking demonstrates that if you pay peanuts.......

stw/Jane
4th Aug 2007, 11:15
Whatzmyname, this is the best comment I ever red on this forum.
I totally agree!!!
btw.People,we have to admit that every flight you can find one colleage who picked totally wrong carrear. When I had my last BHX, one GR2 was screaming on pax.We all know that they can be very:eek:...but come on...And about the those who smiles just after flight:\...

whatzmyname
5th Aug 2007, 18:58
Check out this article about emirates flight 005 to LHR......

http://travel.independent.co.uk/news_and_advice/article2832068.ece

Leito
5th Aug 2007, 19:48
I saw that earlier on, any idea of what really happened?, has anyone been on that flight?, it's all very weird indeed :suspect:

lvaxf
6th Aug 2007, 10:34
It's very werid that a 777-300 cannot take off with cargo+pax+luggage+fuel for 9 hours from DXB... I have an operations background and find that very odd. Most probably they were offloading luggage of a NO-SHOW pax.

Typical phrase in a crew briefing "Communication guys" bla bla bla... how about if they sell that phrase to Ops as well? This is the 21st century and the EK aircraft have the latest technology to keep comunicated. Some airlines dream of having our aircraft and equipment, so let's make the most of it. And when we do, then (and only then) we will be number 1 in all areas again.

stellar
8th Aug 2007, 00:35
Well done Leo, you are the 1-stop-shop-for-all-you-need-to-know about EK.
Your info is incisive and v.informative and v. accurate. R u sure you can take all of the threads and questions on your own. It must be hard to take the mantle of EK representative. You should be on commission for EK recruitment. Good job Leo.

stellar
8th Aug 2007, 02:02
:DPlease tell your Pur to document same as nothing will be done unless more of these situations are put to Management.Your situation is appalling and unless it's documented nothing will be done about it. It will look like everyone is managing regardless which is not acceptable because we have more GR2s sitting at home "looking for flight hours".

stellar
8th Aug 2007, 02:13
Glad to hear your on the same page as me Ivaxf, on the subject of communication I've signed on for the 99+ Etisalat broadband do you :oh:think it's worth it as I thought I'd not exceed 15 hours per month.What do you think? Is better to go for the unlimited broadband?

Leito
8th Aug 2007, 11:43
thanks stellar, I'm just doing my job, je je je :ok:

atpcliff
9th Aug 2007, 05:11
Hi!

My aunt used to live in Thailand (and Nepal). She was married to a German and travelled extensively. She said that Singapore was her favorite, and Thai Airlines her second favorite.
Note: When she was in Asia, Emirates did not exist yet.

Good luck to everyone working at Emirates.

I have been thinking of applying as a flight deck crewmember, but it's hard to tell if it's a good job or not. There are lots of pilots on pprune that do not recommend Emirates at all.

cliff
KYIP

steegily
9th Aug 2007, 06:12
Hi Everyone,
Just a quickie: I don't own a watch (haven't done for years). I presume I'm going to have to get one. Can anyone tell me what colour / style it has to be? I hear it must have a second hand. True? Or should I just wait until I'm in Dubai to get it? (btw, I'm a guy)

Leito
9th Aug 2007, 13:10
According to our grooming manual.....

Wristwatch of a conventional design in either gold or stainless steel/gold finish.
Leather straps must be black or brown.
Oversized, colouful trendy designs are not acceptable.
A watch must be worn at all times on duty.
Thats for boys and girls, it doesnt have to have a second hand, but if it does its fine and useful as you will need it when you travel.

I have a digital Casio and its great because it has world time and I can change it where ever I go and still have DXB time, just make sure that you follow that guideline that I gave you regarding the strap and size, whats inside its your choice.

I hope that it helps !!!

Ell J
9th Aug 2007, 16:21
Hi all, still loving this forum by the way i've got so much info off it. Travelling out on the 31st Aug and need to bring 20 passport pics, does anyone know can these be from a passport photo booth or do they need to be taken by a prof photographer in studio? Thanks x

elixir8
10th Aug 2007, 05:59
ell,

i think as long as the photos are standard passport size then it should be fine...

we're asked to bring along our xrays, original documents n medicals...how about the original contract? what does that mean? the printed ones from email?

i'm still pretty much confused myself...will pack soon :-)

see you there!

whatzmyname
10th Aug 2007, 10:30
Get yourself an alarm for your room as well,to wake up for your training lessons and then your flights! It's not easy waking up in the dead of the morning to get dressed for work.:\ You cannot be late for work at this type of job.... I even have a small alarm I pack in my suitcase for layovers,because sometimes they forget or accidentally skip you when the wake up calls are made. At the end of the day it is all your own responsibility.

lvaxf
11th Aug 2007, 15:21
anyone got tickets for the a380 flts coming up?

Leito
11th Aug 2007, 18:17
I've got selected to fly it on Sat 18th, but still havent got my ticket or boarding card, I cant wait !! :}

baob2oba
11th Aug 2007, 23:59
Still haven't got the ticket as well, "click on the Yes or No button", but where is the button ??? ????
As usual...
:ugh:

Leito
12th Aug 2007, 06:51
After about 5 minutes looking for the button I realized that there was no button but the grey stripe on top of the e-mail changed to purple (if I remember correctly) when I moved my mouse, then I clicked there and there was the question with a YES and NO answer, and of course I clicked YES, I kept the e-mail and now it says that I answered YES, which is great because it means that I didn't make any mistake.
Now I'm waiting for the ticket or what ever they are going to give us, I must tell you that I'm looking forward to it, but bless the operating crew, can you immaging trying to do a service on an aircraft that you don't know and with 500 people walking everywhere taking pictures, its going to be mad for the poor crew, I think that the pax should be giving a sort of "iftar box" and the crew should just stay at the doors and collect the boxes, that way pax can walk freely and the crew can chill out :ok:.

Anyway, enjoy your flight and have a happy and safe one.