PDA

View Full Version : "Microsoft says.................

PPRuNe Pop
6th Jun 2007, 11:05
This or this "has to close down, sorry for the inconvenience caused." Then invites a report. I always click on 'Don't Send.'

I get at least two or three a week. What's going on? Are MS getting too instrusive or what?

Any ideas.

JamesT73J
6th Jun 2007, 11:20
Hi

I suspect you've got an application playing up (repeatedly hanging) which is causing the MS reporting tool to fire up. They don't actually do any harm, occasionally they match a 'solution' in the Microsoft archive which may range from unhelpful ("....this problem was caused by a driver") to pointing you in the right direction.

Either way, sort the offending application and they should go away.

James

BLUE SKY THINKER
6th Jun 2007, 11:57
Error Reporting is an irritant that can be dispensed with, as per post #2 here.....

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=228282

.....subject the caveat about the option of being informed, re. critical errors.

PPRuNe Pop
6th Jun 2007, 14:46
Thanks BST. I have dumped it but what was that about critical errors?

BLUE SKY THINKER
6th Jun 2007, 17:43
PP......

".....but what was that about critical errors?"

With the best will in the world one is going to get day to day hiccups with Windows and associated programs and it is these that that generate the error messages. Invariably they sort themselves out fairly rapidly (99% of the time a reboot will solve it) but there is a fair amount of scepticism about the need to inform Microsoft (or whether there is anyone there to receive it!). Hence.....

http://www.connectedinternet.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/error-reporting.jpg

.....eliminates the irritant but at the same time keeps you informed of the reason for any (hopefully rare) major PC meltdown.

With just the above enabled I was informed the one and only time I had a major crisis (all the other 'fluff' sidelined).

Don't forget you can get a far better real time overview of what's going on - including errors for which you have disabled 'error reporting' - via (in XP):

Start > Administrative Tools (if enabled) > Event Viewer > Application
Start > Administrative Tools (if enabled) > Event Viewer > Security
Start > Administrative Tools (if enabled) > Event Viewer > System
Start > Administrative Tools (if enabled) > Event Viewer > Internet Explorer (if you have IE7)

5711N0205W
8th Jun 2007, 12:44
As part of the beta team for a recent Microsoft product I must say it would appear that MS (at least for this product anyway) do indeed take note of the crash information sent back for the issuance of patches and bugfixes during the product production life and not just for the obvious reasons during the beta program.

Tim_CPL
17th Jun 2007, 23:57
I can also say, working for a large s/w company, that MS do feedback a summary of all the crash reports to the original s/w vendor. They are quite hot on vendors who provide buggy s/w and especially drivers, as this can affect system stability.

- Tim

Tarq57
18th Jun 2007, 06:56
I would guess that you have something unstable in the programs that generate those errors by crashing. If it's always the same one or two applications, try a full uninstall/reinstall of them, and make sure they're up to date. If it's random applications, including those that belong to the OS, you've got a more pervasive problem.
It's the crashing that's the problem, not the error reporting. Find out why the crashes are happening. (TEM, Not Blame and Train.)

PPRuNe Pop
18th Jun 2007, 22:12
I am pleased to say that after the advice Blue Sky gave me I have not had one! No other problems at all now thanks.