View Full Version : To those kiwi pilots working in AUS

CRJ-220
6th Jun 2007, 09:48
Hi

I'd like to ask about living conditions in Oz compare to NZ.

1. Is Oz more expensive to live than NZ? (house rent,cars,grocery etc)

2. Do you get more money when working in australia than NZ?

3. For those who still paying off student loan are there any ways to still get interest write off(free interest) rather than staying in NZ for 183 or more days ? cuz with my $70000 debt i will pay more than $5000 just for interest every year.

pilotdude09
6th Jun 2007, 10:10
Im not a pilot but can answer your question about living costs etc.

1. Firstly it depends on where you are living, where are you looking at living?

Most citys $300 bucks will get you a 3x1, 3x2 and some places a 4x1 or 2, depends.

Living costs in general are better, shopping wise but untill you have lived here long enough some of the food tastes like its missing something :ouch:

If you buy a house or car beaware that you will get slapped with stamp duty, kind of like GST on top of the GST! nice money maker for the governments :ok::ugh:

When i was living in Sydney, grocerys was about $125ish a week compared to over $200ish in NZ. Woolworths is alot cheaper than Coles and IGA and Aldi is pretty cheap too.

Cars, depending on what you want but you wont get your cheap jap imports over here because they dont have them so you have decent cars that cost a bit more. a 2000 AU Falcon will set you back around 8-12 grand depending on K's etc etc

2. in most sectors yes, not sure about aviation but in say retail, mining etc etc you will.

I earn 7 bucks more an hour than someone doing the exact same job in NZ with worst conditions in retail.

3.You would have to speak to the IRD or whoever gave you the loan regarding that

But if you are thinking about jumping ship, go for it. Australia has alot more for people than NZ does and is a better lifestyle, but that does depend on where you live also.

Hope that helps a little :)

CRJ-220
6th Jun 2007, 10:23
thanks for that

I am thinking to move WA.. but i guess there wont be many ppl as sydney possible either way as long as i get job.. i guess WA will be better working condition . how is living condition in WA?

brown_hornet
6th Jun 2007, 12:09
how is living condition in WA?

Perth, whilst a fantastic city (beats Syd and Mel hands down), is surprisingly quite expensive to live in no thanks to the mining boom. According to the latest news mean house price is about to overtake Sydney if not already and thus rent prices are also quite high (hard to find a house half decent much under $250pw). Plenty of job opportunities though, it's a big state. Have you thought about RAdelaide though, best city in Oz I reckon. Low house prices, plenty of things to do and has that big country town feel to it:E

tinpis
7th Jun 2007, 01:17
Isnt kiwi more expensive than Oz anyway?

Unless yer living in a whare in Bumfek Eketahuna?

Shredder6
7th Jun 2007, 03:29
Yep, would agree with that. $400k would be the average (3BRMs, garage unlikely) house price in Wellington, and you would be looking at $500wk for said house to rent.
:eek:
I'm beginning to think that Hong Kong may be cheaper:}

Aussie
7th Jun 2007, 03:39
Go to Adelaide if you want cheap housing, probably the cheapest in Aus in terms of Capital cities!

Predicted to change and go the same way as Perth if these Uranium mines take off :)

tinpis
7th Jun 2007, 03:40
There be a reason for that mate, theres no fecking work in Adelaide.