PDA

View Full Version : MD-11 Factoids

mawk90
6th Jun 2007, 00:27
Does anybody have any interesting Factoids regarding this great aircraft?

Some common questions include - Why start engine 3 first?

Also, what is the only piece of wood in the cockpit?

What are the clearview window handles actually made from?

flyboyike
6th Jun 2007, 00:47
1. Probably the same reason we normally start #2 first on the CRJ. The outboard brakes are on Hyd2, which runs of #2 EDP. We could, of course, run the #2 ACMP and have the same brakes available, but that's not the procedure.

2. The crash axe handle?

Flight Detent
6th Jun 2007, 02:07
mawk90....surely you are mistaken when you utter "this great aircraft...", you MUST be referring to the DC-10!

Cheers...FD...:ok:

nano404
7th Jun 2007, 04:26
MD-11 " It is based on the DC-10, but featuring a stretched fuselage, increased wingspan with winglets, refined aerofoils on the wing and tailplane, new engines and increased use of composite materials. It features an all-digital glass cockpit that decreases the crew to two from the three required on the DC-10."

Don't know much about either but I'm just stating the facts.

Though the DC-10 did birth the KC-10, best tanker since sliced bread.

Flight Detent
8th Jun 2007, 02:15
Yes, thanks 'nono404',

I know all that, that's exactly why I made the comment!!!

errrr....Cheers..FD..:ugh:

stilton
8th Jun 2007, 04:25
Er, yes, next to the 'incredible DC10' I can't think of a recent generation widebody transport with such a miserable safety record as the MD11..

F4F
8th Jun 2007, 21:05
great aircraft com'on, give us a break... you mean this flying Frankenstein?

I'll try to answer some of your questions though...
Eng 3 first to start: well, like all aircraft, start on the right side, therefore permitting the removal of the forward pax stairway access (red cap last exit chance!), no tech reason known...
I'll also only remember the crash axe handle as piece of wood...
Clearview windows handle material... handles?

live 2 fly 2 live

mawk90
11th Jun 2007, 03:35
Was told that the clearview handles are actually DC-3 throttles. A bit of nostalgia designed in by Douglas A/C corp!

nano404
11th Jun 2007, 05:53
Er, yes, next to the 'incredible DC10' I can't think of a recent generation widebody transport with such a miserable safety record as the MD11..

The risk factor makes it more fun? Like a roller coaster riding on rotten wood, just waiting on the drop? I haven't flown in one...yet but the way that you guys despise it, I'm thinking it flies like a Cessna 150 in a hurricane?

GMDS
12th Jun 2007, 13:57
DC-10: The best FBW (allthough called Control Wheel Steering)
MD11 : The best cockpit (man/machine interface)
A330 : The best glider (tricky sometimes....) and very economical
A343 : The worst climber but nice and stable
A345 : The biggest fuel guzzler but nice and stable aswell

(from collegues):
B777 : The easiest bird, 773 the best wing

My pick:
Still the MD11. It's due to the interface i worked with and trusted most.
In over 10 years i never had that "... what is it doing ..." feeling.
Tricky to land, high approach speeds, something for men .....

Flying Mechanic
12th Jun 2007, 14:31
Good money maker for FED EX, UPS , World and EVA.
I just started flying it, its awesome!

AZFlyer44
12th Jun 2007, 18:14
I am brand new here. I work on the DC-10 and the MD-11. They are both good aircraft. The miserable safety record of the MD-11 would be a function of not taking abusive landings very well. One for I believe Air China was destroyed while trying to land in the effects of a typhoon. The DC-10 has had in my opinion few incidents while racking up impressive flight time for the fleet. They are not always easy to work on but they are an honest aircraft. In other words they won't bite you from an unexpected direction.

Tight Seat
14th Jun 2007, 12:17
Not too sure about the MD11, however , on the L1011 we started the no.2 first, simply because it was closest to the apu. Just less pipe for the bleed air to run to the engine. It sure helped when 'hot'n'high'.

Flightmech
14th Jun 2007, 12:56
MD-11 FACTOID.
When working on it you quickly become knowledgeable about it's fire detection, pneumatic and fuel systems:{ and if you park it next to the old DC-10 you'll notice that the MD-11 has a horizontal stabiliser nearly half the size.

F4F
15th Jun 2007, 20:09
Flightmech actually the stabilizer is (as far as the last gray cells tell me) 1/3 less of the size it was on the -10. Alas, MDC engineers once more fiddled around... having lenghtened the fuselage they assumed the longer arm would compensate for the smaller stab, e.g. enough moment.

But flight tests soon showed a lack of authority of the elevators in the flare (still is a problem) and they then retrofitted flaps in front of the elevator for increased effectivness.

Tricky to land, high approach speeds, something for men, agree on that one.
Though one might appreciate a challenge now and then, I way prefer a docile Airbus or whatever to the way the MD-11 is handling, thanks ;)

live 2 fly 2 live