PDA

View Full Version : Why is CX calling corporate pilots for interviews?

LOTW
5th Jun 2007, 18:17
Why is CX now starting to call corporate pilots for interviews? I thought they were concentrating on hiring big equipment and regional pilots?

Any thoughts?

Cpt. Underpants
5th Jun 2007, 20:23
Possibly because they are having difficulty retaining American pilots with heavy time.

They are relying on the "loyalty factor" of a guy not having previous heavy time being given a "break" by Cathay may be more inclined to stay.

A little bird whispered to me that bonding may be on the way...

aviatorguy
5th Jun 2007, 20:27
Bonding generally has limited success. If it is used to stem the apparent flow back to the US companies, then it will definitely not work. What's a few thousand bucks when the long term gains (lifestyle/home country/pay etc) are quite tangible. In my experience, it makes most people LESS loyal. It''ll keep the youngsters there, but they will stay anyway...

Additionally, when the bunch of experienced 777 drivers head back to Oz to join Virgin, none of those guys will have been bonded anyway. I suspect your company may well get a bit of a shock when Virgin call for more than just 'expressions of interest'. Emirates, I suspect, will also lose a few downunder.

EngineOut
5th Jun 2007, 22:44
Paying for ratings and bonding does generally make pilots LESS loyal. Bonding will only keep pilots as long as the bond period. GENERALLY, if a pilot works for a company who has supplied all training at no cost or risk to the individual, they are a much more loyal employee in terms of longevity and in terms of day-to-day duties. They also tend to be much more a 'company person'.

LOTW
6th Jun 2007, 03:03
I just wonder if even regional pilots from the USA are now forgoing applying and interviewing at CX.

I'mbatman
6th Jun 2007, 04:14
Bonding or Training Contracts do one thing and one thing only.....Proclaim to the world that the airline hiring you knowingly does not provide adequate pay and lifestyle requirements and is a stepping stone. A company that adequately provides for a pilot does NOT need a bond.

Fenwicksgirl
6th Jun 2007, 05:24
Too true batman.
Everyone should just sit on their hands and do nothing for a while. The pendulum is picking up pace and maybe one day we can bond the companies, or they can provide cash incentives etc.
They will have to do something soon, the turn up rate at interviews is now around only 10%, cant imagine how bonding will help them??

LOTW
6th Jun 2007, 05:30
Your saying that only 10% of those accepting an interview at CX actually show up for said interview?:eek:

climbout
6th Jun 2007, 06:51
If CX would be a "normal" airline, in view of training and checking,
they wouldn't have any problem at all to KEEP and RECRUIT pilots with skills and experience - but presently, Cathay is far away to offer that...

Fenwicksgirl
6th Jun 2007, 09:11
Well actually it is about 14%. (i.e about 1 in 7 turn up) This is from recruitments mouth! Then of course only a few of them make it to the next stage.
Cathay not only have to struggle with attracting pilots based on CX T & Cs but they have to compete against a poor currency rate at the moment. Only the US hasnt been affected and well, the pool is about dry there anyway. The AUD is currently at 6.5 to the HKD and the Euro at 10.55. So the monthly HKD pay for our pilots aint what it used to be, i wouldnt want to be sending money home at the moment thats for sure!!
This next round of talks is going to be a turning point for CX whether they like it or not. If the beancounters get their way, it wont be long before CX is struggling with crew numbers.(more so than now!!)

Mr. Bloggs
8th Jun 2007, 01:44
CX needs someone to show up for interviews. If the corporate boys don’t show up, requirement will change.

New CX requirements:

25 hours of wide body on Microsoft Flight Simulator
Pilot’s License
Speak some English but don’t have to spel
Retractable gear not a necessity (that’s what GPWS is for)
Must have own flight bag....................... with wheels.

Al Kida
8th Jun 2007, 03:47
dat is wot i ad wen I joyned :}

xsbank
8th Jun 2007, 06:21
Its also a very onerous interview that requires a lot of hoops to be jumped through - I talked to some Americans and Canadians who were flabbergasted that they had to learn all that crap about engines and how many a/c were ordered and what was the name of their a/c in 1949.:ugh:

Mr. Bloggs
8th Jun 2007, 06:37
HOOPS???????????????

That my friend is only the beginning, wait until one gets hired.:{

HKG Phooey
8th Jun 2007, 12:07
so why are they?