PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow Webtrack

Hartington
5th Jun 2007, 07:18
I just found this:

http://lhr.webtrak-lochard.com/template/index.html

If you change the lhr in the address to lgw or stn the airport changes. I've tried gla and edi but they don't work so it seems to be a London thing :rolleyes: at the moment.

Farjer
16th Jun 2007, 10:48
Yes this is great news. Every time I can't hear the TV I'm going to write down the time, check out the culprit (2 days later...) and then start some serious naming and shaming.

egnxer
25th Jun 2007, 17:15
It's available for EMA too

http://ema.webtrak-lochard.com/index2.html

HTH
HAND

Farjer
13th Jul 2007, 08:57
This is an excellent tool for people thinking of moving house and campaigners against airport expansion and noisy 747-400s (http://no747overlondon.googlepages.com/)

Does the LHR tracker include flights heading for LCY?

egnxer
14th Jul 2007, 08:49
Certainly as far as EMA is concerned, the airport is publicising it as an environmental tool so that people who experience excessive aircraft noise can make a few preliminary checks and then provide the airport with more detail in their complaint. The airport can then better check if a particular flight was off its noise abatement track and issue any fines etc. It's supposed to help cut down on the admin at the airport nd of things. Of course, we all know there's a certain amount of BS included in all this (personally, I'd be happy for an Il-76 to overfly my house every day of the week :D )

Each of the webtrak sites is specific to a particular airport so no, it doesn't specifically show flights into and out of LCY.

Farjer
15th Jul 2007, 17:22
Of course, we all know there's a certain amount of BS included in all this (personally, I'd be happy for an Il-76 to overfly my house every day of the week :D )

I'm not familiar with the freight operations at EMA and monster Russian aircraft, but clearly you don't understand the reality of living under the approach of the world's busiest airport (departures must be worse, but for fewer people I suppose).

Every day isn't really the problem, it's about every 90s at peak times (many hours per day). When LHR's runway alternation is suspended (thankfully only for occasional maintenance periods) and the wind refuses to blow hard enough from the east (approx 70% of the time) you would probably become a crazy BS spouting activist yourself. It messes with your mind - even though I like planes and technology (although not their tax-free status).

Gonzo
15th Jul 2007, 18:07
Farjer,

I'm not familiar with the freight operations at EMA and monster Russian aircraft, but clearly you don't understand the reality of living under the approach of the world's busiest airport (departures must be worse, but for fewer people I suppose).

It's dangerous to assume, you know. :)

I used to live in SE Slough. My house was right on the flight path of all the northbounds out of Heathrow when we were on westerlies, and all the landing aircraft for 09L when on easterlies. I never ever had a problem with the noise, and I'm sure I don't need to tell you a heavily laden old 747-200 struggling for height makes a bit of noise!

And it's nowhere near the world's busiest in terms of numbers of flights, only in terms of numbers of international passengers.

I too would love an IL-76 to come over my house every day!:D

BOFH
15th Jul 2007, 20:31
Farjer

Did you buy your house before Heathrow was built? I mean, if you buy a place on a flightpath, you'll normally spend less than someone who doesn't, for a similar property. If you did not make this saving (and been prepared for the reason the saving was there in the first place,) it's probably not the BAA you should be speaking to.

Every time I can't hear the TV I'm going to write down the time, check out the culprit
A short 'thank-you' note should suffice.

BOFH

perkin
15th Jul 2007, 22:00
Why not just move if its so bad? :rolleyes:

Farjer
15th Jul 2007, 22:01
A short 'thank-you' note should suffice.

I get your point, but occasionally there's something good on TV...

I didn't say I owned the place I live in. I think the point is that things could get a lot worse if any of the following happen: a) alternation is scrapped, b) more night flights, c) third runway. This webtrak tool helps remove the handwaving from the debate, which is nice. And for house-hunting it's invaluable.

Farjer
15th Jul 2007, 22:07
Gonzo:

I used to live in SE Slough. My house was right on the flight path of all the northbounds out of Heathrow when we were on westerlies, and all the landing aircraft for 09L when on easterlies. I never ever had a problem with the noise, and I'm sure I don't need to tell you a heavily laden old 747-200 struggling for height makes a bit of noise!

Just checked and I see the northerly departures crossing SE Slough (although it looks like less than half of all departures go that way) - but the 09L landings come in over Windsor, but it's all day which isn't so nice (and a bit closer to the airport than me in Fulham).

Farjer
15th Jul 2007, 22:14
perkin

Why not just move if its so bad?

It isn't so bad right now but, you know, technology moves on and some older planes just shouldn't be flying over densely populated areas (IMO).

I also wonder if ATC and pilots could manage something like >95% of descents with the throttle always on the way down (no sudden bursts to make up speed or height). If I understand correctly, this is hard to do at really busy times.

BOFH
16th Jul 2007, 07:47
Farjer

I live no more than two miles North-West of you, and I can watch the pretty aircraft landing in almost complete silence - so it won't mean a huge lifestyle change to move, especially if you are renting.

<Thrust lever operation>
The pilots are blameless. What you are hearing is the EEC 'blipping' the engines - this helps to decoke the combustor cans. :)

BOFH

Hartington
16th Jul 2007, 08:44
What does intrigue me about the way the application has been implemented at LHR in that it is *not* real-time. In the same way that if you change LHR to LGW you get Gatwick try changing it to SFO. That also works. Now our US cousins offer a real time experience(!) yet in the UK we delay it 24 hours for "security".

Pax Vobiscum
19th Jul 2007, 10:44
<ANORAK MODE>

Interestingly, according to Netcraft all these lochard sites are hosted in Melbourne! I sometimes wonder about the environmental impact of all these electrons shuttling around the globe ...

</ANORAK>

PAXboy
19th Jul 2007, 12:02
Gosh, you're right PV. :sad:

Accordingly, I am now offsetting the impact of that by staying at home and watching the snail trails on my screen, rather than driving down to the blasted Heath to watch them for real. :}

Besides, it's easier to get a refill of tea and the packet of choccy digestives is closer to hand. :E

lm07
20th Jul 2007, 12:12
interesting on that throttle comment....i notice 744s always seem to gun the engines over kew bridge :-)

imo...the smaller aircraft like A319s and the SAS MD-80s are louder than the 744s or 777s.....louder in that they are more intrusive whereas the heavies are "bigger" sounds ....hard to explain

in the same way as little dogs are noisier than big dogs

Farjer
21st Jul 2007, 21:31
imo...the smaller aircraft like A319s and the SAS MD-80s are louder than the 744s or 777s.....louder in that they are more intrusive whereas the heavies are "bigger" sounds ....hard to explain

I sort of know what you mean - it's the deep bass penetration and reverberation of the 744 vs the higher frequency, higher energy, but shorter-lived annoyance of the smaller planes. I'm guilty of flying SAS a fair amount a few years ago... sorry.

Despite all the moaning I do think the 747 is a beautiful aircraft!

Which plane(s) make that kind of wailing noise? That's hard to describe too. I guess I could webtrak it (after waiting two days... arghhh)

Plus there's a two-engine rear mounted plane which makes almost no noise at all... anyone ID that for me please? I doubt it carries 400+ pax halfway round the world though :-)

Pax Vobiscum
22nd Jul 2007, 22:35
there's a two-engine rear mounted plane which makes almost no noise at all
If it's in BMI colours, Farjer, it may well be an Embraer like this one:
http://onlinestorage.nildram.net/I/10894819/MTE3YjMxMTkyYjE2NTdjMWUwZmY5MGU4NmQ1MmQyZmU=/450/450/0

Le Tirer
22nd Jul 2007, 23:01
Also coming to Bournemouth sometime in the future as part of the £32m redevelopment. As announced on the BOH airport website:

"Environmental mitigation will be a central feature of the project with the Airport committed to its operations becoming carbon neutral by 2015, enhanced noise and air quality monitoring and the introduction of ‘WebTrak’ - a web-based facility allowing the public to view the height and track of aircraft online."

Farjer
23rd Jul 2007, 10:22
yes that looks like it - thanks!

Farjer
19th Jan 2008, 09:40
I've noticed a few holes in the data coverage for lhr webtrak before (no reason ever given, however), and I was expecting one again today for the 17th. Indeed there is a great big hole (all day missing) at the moment.

Once the AAIB investigation is over, do you think they'll load the data? Who should we hassle if it doesn't show up? Does the Freedom of Information Act have any application here?

In addition to BA038 itself, the go-arounds will be interesting to see.

Flapping_Madly
19th Jan 2008, 16:12
I agree. The two day delay nonsense is typically British. But chopping out the whole day of 17 th is simply childish. What the hell could possibly be the harm in watching what happened to the aircraft moving. It has happened --it is history--what harmful use could anyone make of any part of it?
Beggers belief.:confused::rolleyes::*

Farjer
20th Jan 2008, 08:27
I had a wild thought...

This was also the day that our esteemed leader was flying to China.

Perhaps his flight uses a secret departure path which would no longer be secret if the webtrak data was made available.

Nothing like a good conspiracy first thing on a Sunday!