PDA

View Full Version : Firearms training and US visa

TelBoy
4th Jun 2007, 23:57
Hope someone can help. I have noticed on forms for M1 visa for flight training in the US you have to declare any firearms training. It is possible that I might take further training soon that "could" include firearms training. This would be before me applying for M1 to do my CPL. Does anyone have any input on this, as I could opt out of the firearms bit and get less work!!!

NH2390
5th Jun 2007, 01:51
The simple option is, don't declare it on the form. I mean, if you were a terrorist, you wouldn't, right? So it's utterly pointless. Don't give them a reason to refuse you.

captain_rossco
5th Jun 2007, 12:05
Hi,

Might I suggest that if this training is provided as part of a military or police based job role, you may wish to disclose it. However, if your gunslinging was part of a mob/gang based initiation, its probably best left unsaid!

Kind Regards

Rossco

TelBoy
5th Jun 2007, 12:32
The training will be an extra part of the Security Industry Authority close protection training (bodyguard). Firearms training is not needed to meet the UK training requirements as firearms are not usually allowed in the UK, however most training organistions add firerms training in Sweeden as CP operatives often work on diplomatic soil or abroad where firearms are used.

As firearms training is "optional" although maybe limiting with some of the more prestigious jobs, I am looking to see if this would have an effect on a visa application. I feel that a lot of ex military and police could have gone through this and would appreciate their input.

If anyone can also make any authorative comments as what potenital aviation employers would make of an ex bodyguard (firearms trained or not), maybe corporate aircraft, or contract in Middle East or Africa???

Rosie Jane
5th Jun 2007, 13:03
Hello Tel Boy

When I went through my M1 Visa application, there was a strong desire to 'declare' everything... warts and all. In todays electronic era if you took firearms training I would not be suprised if some data base contained your details. Arriving at the US embassy with everything but the truth is a gamble which you will have to measure for yourself. Like you have said ex servicemen may have had a similar experience.

With regards to your second question, if I am reading this correctly (please dont shout at me if I am not) most if not all potential employers are interested in your ability to fly a plane, not how to shoot a gun. I accept in some outer regions of the world were 'private and clandestine' flying takes place firearms training would be an advantage, but flying some PAX flight or a 747-200f full of Fresh Fish, such training would have no advantage. Maybe someone with a more authoritive view could expand on this.

Good luck

Rosie

One Life.... Live it

cougar77
5th Jun 2007, 13:11
Telboy, if you were from the military/police, there is no problem declaring stating clearly military/police training. I declared and there were no problems with my M1 visa.

TelBoy
5th Jun 2007, 14:50
Just to clear things up, and thanks for everyones input.

I will NOT make any false statments on any visa form. I am gaining information as to either do the firearms training, or opt out of it, if it will affect my later visa application. I think that not being totally open to the visa people is a rocky road to hell and likely to end in tears.

As a thought for visa applications - it is THEIR country and they are entitled to make whatever stipulations they wish. If we wish to enter THEIR country and use THEIR training it seems only reasonable to me to go with their rules - just my two pennys worth!!

The training is NOT police or military but private security training which because of UK laws has to be done in Sweden, however I will be licenced in the UK as a Close Protection Operative. The licence is issued by the SIA which is a goverment appointed body. The firearms training is NOT required for the issue of the UK licence, but is extra training to support your professional qualifications and make you more employable.

As for the employability in aviation. It would be great to think an employer would just take you for your flying capabilities, but it seems the older you get, the more they (any potenital employer in any field) are interested in what you have done in the past. I can inagine that saying you are a bodyguard might scare the s:mad: out of some potential employers, however others might see it as a good thing - I don't know, you tell me??

Rosie Jane
5th Jun 2007, 16:38
I know age can be a big barrier, but at 43 you are still a stud, and have at least 22 years flying subject to health or course. Grant it the older you go, you may have to 'pay a little more' to get the licenses you want, such as the old swear word here......
'Paying for your own type rating' ....ahh sorry I said it, dont everyone pile into me, but its a fact of life for some.
Go for it, dont let anyone or thing stand in your way and take a leaf out of my motto;

One life....live it

Good Luck, everyone deserves it

Rosie.

Vee One...Rotate
5th Jun 2007, 17:26
I know guys who've declared training gleaned in Her Majesty's Services and we're all currently kicking back in the US of A, mostly jumping in pools and sippin' frosty ones. Plus a bit of flying.

heli_spy
5th Jun 2007, 18:23
Hi Tel Boy
I take it this firearms training in Sweden isn't free and you have to pay for the privledge?
Sorry to say but a lot of private security companies paint a rather colourful picture of the private CP industry more often than not to fleece you of your hard earned cash for courses you don't need.
(Hey come to think of it a lot of aviation based training companies paint a rather colourful picture as well!!!)
If you are going to work in Europe you will not need any form of firearms training as you will never be allowed to legally carry.
If you are considering going to work in the Middle East as a Close Protection operative and have no previous operational experience in firearms deployment in either a military or police environment you need your head examining.
Five hundred rounds through a Glock 17 / CZ75 etc in Sweden is of no use to any future employer in the private sector.
Bottom line : Do you want to be a pilot or a 'bodyguard' ?????
Cheers

BEagle
5th Jun 2007, 20:21
Do you have to declare any nuclear weapons training to the Spams?

Or just annual 9mm Browning incompetence blowing holes in the sand near the cardboard targets on the 10m range?

More of a threat than a plutonium fuelled thermonuclear device, I guess?

BigGrecian
5th Jun 2007, 21:01
Myself and countless students at our school have had firearms and NBC training and have had countless visas issued.

It doesn't matter - unless you received it under suspicious circumstances.
Attempting to talk round the issue and it's likely to cause you more problems.