PDA

View Full Version : New cold war...NEW RAF(G)?

Anton Meyer
4th Jun 2007, 14:35
What with all this posturing from Mr Putin, one wonders if it is time to re-establish RAF(G)?
We could all leave the desert and take back those premier fg stations that were once ours, namely Gutersloh and Bruggen, for example. With a more realistic threat of terror - thousands of vodka-plastered Cossacks and ancient T-62s coming over the horizon - I feel sure Mr Brown will draw down the wars on the frontiers. Moreover, it is a real vote-winner as Europe-shire is just a few miles away and that chunnel would make it a little bit more interesting this time round....
Get that Vulcan repaired for active duty...we may yet have need for it..

hoodie
4th Jun 2007, 15:56
And about that "Cold War Relic" Typhoo... :E

maxburner
4th Jun 2007, 17:20
And don't forget the tax free cars and LOA.......

Big Bear
4th Jun 2007, 17:27
And no 2 can rule....:}

OHP 15M
4th Jun 2007, 17:36
But we've just spent the last 10 years downsizing to 42,000 personnel :uhoh: ... through redundancy etc ... not to mention the Army and RN...doh ! Perhaps MoD should start a program called Options for Change, increase the defence budget (by lots of £££) and start recruiting again to counter the re-emergence of the old Ruskie threat. Bring back National Service, that's what I say :ok:

MrBernoulli
4th Jun 2007, 17:51
I ain't volunteering to come back. Sod that .................

Talk Wrench
4th Jun 2007, 18:18
I'll come back if they want me, but only if i can have my old rank and can match my current salary and benefits.

A Corporal techy on OC Eng pay? I think not.:E

Talk Wrench

ORAC
4th Jun 2007, 18:41
The point of RAF(G) was that the threat (WP) was just across the East german border. The nearest threat is now on the Baltic States/Ukrainian eastern border.

So, unless you have a few V force bombers tucked away some where, I think it might be a bit out of combat range.....

Navaleye
4th Jun 2007, 19:03
What about RAF(P) then?

Big Bear
4th Jun 2007, 19:08
The point of RAF(G) was that the threat (WP) was just across the East german border. The nearest threat is now on the Baltic States/Ukrainian eastern border.

Exactly, so should we not have our bases further east in the new NATO countries?

Posting to Prague please Desky!!:}

spectre150
5th Jun 2007, 06:54

Ah I see what you mean when I re-read your post. For a moment I thought you meant that there was a threat that Estonia was going to get a result against England on Wednesday night.:}

Pretty tough for those guys having Russia as an immediate neighbour given Putin's belligerence (removal of the Soviet war memorial from the centre of Tallinn by the Estonian government was always likely to offend, in fairness).

Anyway, back to the thread. Laarbruch was great in the late 80s: Deci, Goose, Red/Green Flag, MINEVAL/MAXEVAL/TACEVAL, Germany low flying areas (until the min ht went up to 1000ft), cheap beer, cheap cars, cheap petrol etc etc etc. I had still had enough after 6 years and was glad to get back to the UK.

621andy
5th Jun 2007, 07:07
It's a VERY different Germany now- cheap beer, cheap cars, cheap petrol...dream on:rolleyes:

Jaguar Pilot
5th Jun 2007, 08:16
Ah, Bruggen.

About fifty jets and pilots, and three thousand police and alsations!

Looking at Google Earth the place doesn't quite look the same now.

JP

NURSE
5th Jun 2007, 08:31
Yeap RAF(P), Looks like the Light role Brigades will have to be re-roled and armoured forces put back into ascendencey for BAOV.(British army of the Vistula)

Mmmmnice
5th Jun 2007, 19:28
Can I book a seat on the trooper back to Gutersloh? Make mine a Wobbly.....

BEagle
5th Jun 2007, 20:01
Dear Vlad,

Top idea, me old tovarich. Make the stupid MoD beancounters and the 'Your hardship, my stars' leaders realise how badly they've served the UK ever since 'Options for Defeat'......

Keep it up for just long enough to make Gray Gordon implode in a sea of confusion before Green Dave takes over, gthen watch the new Conservative UK government commit itself to increased defence spending!

Then tell everyone they misunderstood you, really! But not until we've replaced the Nimrod, VC10, TriStar, PR9 etc etc with something a bit more, well, 21st Century. And reopened a couple of dozen or more RAF aerodromes, thrown out any PFI and/or contractor-operated nonsense, tripled the size of the RAF, rebuilt Nocton Hall, Ely, Wroughton and Wegberg........

But be careful about that ar$e Bush. He may not quite understand that you have concerns about him blundering into Europe to install a whole shedload of rockets on your doorstep. Try saying "Remember Cuba, 1962?" and see whether he remembers how pi$$ed of Kennedy was when your predecessors parked a whole load of rockets on his doorstep!

Cheers,

BEags.

Maple 01
5th Jun 2007, 21:25
Goodo, what time does the CIO open? Iraq/Afghanistan? Pah! That's not real soldiering*

http://www.e-goat.co.uk/photoplog/index.php?c=11

Third picture down

That was meant to be funny

BEagle
8th Jun 2007, 16:47
One hears that the Great Leader has been having 'frank discussions' with Mr Putin at the G8 summit..........

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/BP2.jpg

TheSmiter
8th Jun 2007, 17:06
http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/c/c7/Kinnock.jpg

And it was all so different last year.

wokkameister
12th Jun 2007, 20:56
Relax,

This Cold War II thing and a return to Germany is a cunning ploy by OC18 Sqn to gain new members. Put the rumour of a return to Gutersloh about and watch them grovel.....

How he got the Russian president in on it is beyond me though, I must admit!

WM

The Helpful Stacker
12th Jun 2007, 21:05
My little ponies haven't been the same since they lost their pretty hanger to them.

LeggyMountbatten
12th Jun 2007, 21:21
[quote]http://www.e-goat.co.uk/photoplog/index.php?c=11

Third picture down[/qoute]

Got a copy on my office noticeboard...

Nice little NATO tour, Class 6 store, BX and SMA.....:ok:

Fluffy Bunny
12th Jun 2007, 21:28
Probably with a plan of the highest cunningness WM :)

Blacksheep
13th Jun 2007, 04:49
Don't forget the threat East of Suez. Hong Kong and South East Asia still need defending from the commie hordes. We cannot leave all those terrified young ladies in Chiang Mai unprotected and even Labuan is a lot more worthy of defending than it used to be. :E

Union Jack
13th Jun 2007, 05:16
And it was all so different last year

It certainly was, especially when Mr Putin was doing his Kinnochio imitation!:uhoh:

Jack

TheSmiter
13th Jun 2007, 05:46
Waaaaah :E

Well done Jack, got there eventually Boyo!

Putin / Kinnock - separated at birth? I think we should be told.

Blacksheep
14th Jun 2007, 00:48
That wasn't last year Smiter. Its a very old picture of a young TB telling the leader of the Labour Party that he would be the next Labour Prime Minister.

Unfortunately, he was right... :{