PDA

View Full Version : Nobody cares

vecvechookattack
3rd Jun 2007, 20:36
With thanks to Peter Hitchins

The Navy sinks and nobody rocks the boat
Astonishing and saddening revelations in an excellent edition of the BBC's File On Four warned us that the Royal Navy is slowly dissolving, centuries of tradition sacrificed in a couple of decades.
The programme revealed serious worries about safety in submarines. We are selling perfectly good ships to foreign navies and the money is not even coming back to the taxpayer. While it declines, the Navy's men and women suffer.
Ship's companies have to wait days to return home after long deployments as their vessels chug at half-speed to save oil. If they get to port after 5pm, they have to moor offshore overnight to save paying dockers overtime. The worst thing about all this is that hardly anybody cares

Seldomfitforpurpose
3rd Jun 2007, 22:24
Welcome to the military of the past decade, it beggars belief to ask but where the hell have you been for the last ten years :ugh:

Chukkablade
3rd Jun 2007, 23:01
Thats why I left the RN a few years back. The kit I had to play with (Engineer on Boats) was getting, in my humble opinion, tired and unsafe in the extreme, and I just didn't want to take that risk anymore.

To quantify that statement, I fly Robbies', so you can imagine I have a fairly cavalier attitude to risk!

Glad to be out now, and anyone who knows me will know how painfull I find it to make that statement. I loved the Andrew, but there it is:(

XferSymbol
4th Jun 2007, 06:39
It's a sad state of affairs but it is an unwelcome truth that many areas of the Purple Gang are suffering from under-investment. It strikes me that the money is going to all the wrong places and some of the latest procurements have been poorly managed and cost too much. You have to wonder how much more the services can tolerate before they break.

I'd like to bet that the offices in Whitehall are well furnished though.

Rant over.

BluntM8
4th Jun 2007, 12:22
Actually, I've heard Main Building is slowly sinking into the Thames-side mud following the extensive refurbishment a few years back! Having been there and seen the place, I can confirm that well furnish is an accurate descriptor.

(If you wanted to buy the same chairs as the civil servants use, I believe they are about £1000 each :eek:)

Blunty

lightningmate
4th Jun 2007, 15:40
BluntMB,

I am not aware of any segregation between Civil Servants and Military Personnel with respect to the standard/cost of 'chairs sitting' provided in MOD Main Building.

lm

BluntM8
4th Jun 2007, 15:49
I thought they were wider, and therefore cost more :E

(Dons helmet, retreats to safe distance, etc...)

B

bowly
4th Jun 2007, 16:01
Lightning Mate,

Suggest you try the OWOB.

lightningmate
4th Jun 2007, 16:14
bowly,

And in English?

lm

bwfg3
4th Jun 2007, 17:28
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=278737.

I think this thread sums up all that is wrong with the military, the government and the whole shooting match.... Managent consultants.. paid a fortune to come up with "birt speak" wasting billions of pounds of cash that should be spent on fuel oil/ avtur/ petrol/ kit.. delete as required. It would make by blood boil.. but I'm off, so just saddened.:rolleyes:

bowly
4th Jun 2007, 17:55
Old War Office Building, where I can assure you, the chairs would not fetch more than £2 in a car boot sale......last time I looked anyway.....

lightningmate
4th Jun 2007, 19:11
bowly,

The site of the 'chairs sitting' reference was Main Building. I am sure there are more than a few legacy buildings that have poor furniture.

Whilst I am not part of the London Circus, my chair certainly has a well-worn look. Chance of a replacement?

lm