PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else remember "The Swamp" at APC?

Green Hat/Yellow Hat
3rd Jun 2007, 15:46
Chatting away with the Guy's the other day and ended up swinging that old lantern! One of the topics that came up was "The Swamp" at APC, Belize, home of the 4 puma crewmen detached to 1563 Flt ("probably the most exclusive airline in the world!!")

Tales of the SAS boys blowing off the doors at 3 in the morning for a party, cages of tarantulas for pets, prize pineapples being cut off plants and replaced by tins of chunks, DB being plastered at the elbows so he couldn't get his Standby Coke to his lips, Sundays lazing at Journey's End on rates.

Ahhhhhhh, all great stuff from a time when there was some fun to be had in the Mob, and the addage of working hard to play hard was far more in balance of play than work.

Anyone else remember these Halcyon Days with warm feeling? Open a Belikan, Coors or Miller Draught, or pour yourself an Appletons 151 with me, and give that old lantern a tap!! ;)

Tiger_mate
3rd Jun 2007, 18:23
There are not too many rotary boys nowadays can claim to be 1563 Caribean Crewmen. However, I might be one of them:
http://www.artistic.flyer.co.uk/1563swamp.jpg
What happens on det, stays on det:ok:

Wiretensioner
3rd Jun 2007, 18:59
Oh dear.

'There are not too many rotary boys nowadays can claim to be 1563 Caribean Crewmen'.

Some of us were living in the Swamp before 1563 had been invented. Isn't that right LSH where ever you are. My first visit was in 1979, last one in 1981. Tiger Tiger and all that.:cool:

Green Hat/Yellow Hat
3rd Jun 2007, 19:11
TM,

Now that brings it all back!!

What about the Swing Fog at 0630 and 1630 daily, Joyce the cleaner and Sylvia the washer woman, the infamous Jimmy Spankie remark on BFBS (I'm just off to the :mad: Ball!!), Richie Rees (God Bless 'im) "Is my tan darker today!?"

We all need a bit of cheer now and again, so Happy Days! :)

Once a Carribean Crewman, always a Carribean Crewman!! :ok:

Floppy Link
3rd Jun 2007, 19:45
...and Raoul's Rose Garden :E

Tiger_mate
3rd Jun 2007, 19:54
...and Raoul's Rose Garden
That is one florist that I have never visited. Ginge M*****n 'ordered' me to attend in 87 and I decided that he was such a dick that I would never obey. Besides which there were enough Puma groupies amongst the Doctors, nurses, teachers, CSE Roadshow chicks and you wouldnt want to be 'twos up' after a gurkha now would you.

LSH is now a committee (Sec?) member with the 230 Association.

Green Hat/Yellow Hat
3rd Jun 2007, 20:04
When Bob T went home after handing over the Flight to John E, he had the publicity handshake photo taken outside and wore his "I've been to Raouls Rose Garden" t shirt for his last brekkie in the O's mess!! :ok:

ex fat repair team
3rd Jun 2007, 20:07
ex rigger on CD hide.

was looking at Belize on the internet the other day seems to have got a bit posh these days.

Does the rose garden still exists, i remember a helpful lady there called Vera Vomitt who you look after your needs for $20.

Does anyone have pictures of what the airport looks like these days.

ShyTorque
3rd Jun 2007, 20:26
Wire T, I think we must have been on 230 at the same time.

I remember one Sunday night a certain Sqn Ldr B (by name and nature) made us night fly at APC. We wanted to watch the film at the OM instead. Every time we flew downwind we put the Puma searchlight on the outdoor projector screen. After about twenty minutes we got a call to say "pack it in, we can't see the film". We packed in night flying and joined the fun. :E

Anyone remember the OC Harrier "how to burn a hole in the runway" episode?

SilsoeSid
3rd Jun 2007, 20:56
Oh No!! I'm having flashbacks of the Swamp from sometime between Nov '91 - Feb '92 :eek:

I don't remember much though, as it would appear that I was very, very drunk at the time!! :E

:D

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
3rd Jun 2007, 21:06
It's still there!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/SirPeterHardingsLovechild/RoseGarden.jpg

Seldomfitforpurpose
3rd Jun 2007, 22:17
GH/YH,

"Sundays lazing at Journey's End on rates."

Don't remember rates but do remember free food a grateful host and being expected to clang the crap out of the paying guests at volleyball :p

Also remember Joyce catching a certain ex policeman ex MACR now Commissioned ALM filling his palm with "bodily fluid" who in his haste to cover up his transgression simply rubbed his hands together then "splashed it all over" his face pretending it was aftershave :E

Belikin beer......................ummmmmmmm :ok:

More left hand seat time than you could shake a stick at and those crap packed lunches from BGS but the bounty advert where you eat it......fan feckin tastic :D

Goldfish bowls of G+T's on a veranda in Fort Fort Street? and the Pooh Pooh Platter, restaurant name escapes me........:ok:

Still must not reminisce as the desert beckons again in July........boy do I miss those days :)

ex fat repair team
3rd Jun 2007, 22:57
New to Pprune Just got back from the pub and shown the wife the thread.

She has just reminded me of the face on the post man when he delivered the coconut that i had sent home.

Happy days.

Seldomfitforpurpose
3rd Jun 2007, 23:27
Sent two of those, one to my kids and one to a family we had met the previous year on holiday and as you say confused/bemused looks all round.........ours is still in the downstairs loo 16 years on :ok:

woptb
4th Jun 2007, 00:19
Unfortunately I remember Rosie G's all to well!
The Chateau Caribbean & weekend trips to Chatumal for some civilization!!!!!!!
The barking mad Garrison Saarn't Major from the Duke of Boots who nearly died of heart failure when he found out he'd been saluting assorted FLM's,Riggers & Plumbers in our sailfish adorned SWB & had an apoplexy when told he couldn't enter FG,his name was'nt on the list so he wer'nt coming in.

philrigger
4th Jun 2007, 08:44
;)

I was on 230 Odiham/Gutersloh from '77 to '81. I spent 12 detachments to APC Belize. Had a great time; San Pedro and Mexico at the weekends. BBQs on deserted beaches. Big C down town. Crossroads hotel. Fort St George. et al. Working late in the hangar getting devoured by the mossies and sand flies. Mice running around inside the 12 man hut. Lizards nesting between the tin sheets of the roof. I remember the swamp too. I was even invited in for a beer or two on occasions.

'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar.'

oldbeefer
4th Jun 2007, 09:06
Six months there in '85. Best time I had in the SH force. Vividly remember Swamp induced hangovers (and a particularly nasty one after drinking pints of Pinacolada on Caye Chapel). Then there was the transit dahn south - radalt to 50ft - light on all the way. Hey ho, happy daze!

Green Hat/Yellow Hat
4th Jun 2007, 09:27
Seldom,

"Sundays lazing at Journey's End on rates."
We never saw the rates, but the "Duty Meal" rate for the Stby and R+R San Pedro crews paid for the rest of us!!

"Pooh Pooh Platter"
from the Chateau Carribean "Is that to share, or just for you, Sir?!"

"those crap packed lunches from BGS but the bounty advert where you eat it......fan feckin tastic :D"
Hunting Caye was the place, only one way in, land on the beach with the tail hanging over the sea. Great, unless a certain old pilot, DH, decided to go native. Maybe he should have been a Chinny Crewman!!!!

And the PJ - You know who incident, well, what more can I say!!!!!:ok:

ShyTorque
4th Jun 2007, 09:32
Here we go chaps: http://www.230sqn.co.uk/

No Vote Joe
4th Jun 2007, 15:02
What memories!!

BGS resupply on a Friday with lunch at glorious Hunting Key or peaceful Salamanca

Overnight Batty's Bus up to Cancun for the weekend, lots of play, no sleep

Ghurka Bhart (best curry I've ever had, even the bones!!)

Transport in 60 mins before lift, transport back as soon as the cab was signed in

Night flying to be avaoided at all costs

Loadsa left hand seat, 2 crew ops

The list could go on and on!! :ok:

GH,

Mr James Spankie, now that's a name to conjure with. Always good for a laugh on a night out. Any idea where he is these days?

Tiger_mate
4th Jun 2007, 17:32
Is that Mr James Spankie with the intials GT?

If so, civvie, manager of B&Q last I heard, but that was several years ago and I am sure is history already. Left under quite sad, life changing circumstance that wiped the smile from his face; something that in his heyday would have been unthinkable.

Talking about wiping the face off; Ringo's aircrew watch in the liquidiser!
.....and who owned the one eyed Cobra, for I know Joyce (and not Pete) saw it on more than one occasion? Or Gimlets wallet going into hibernation only to reappear after several months and a police investigation.

Any Toga party survivors here, the one with the polystyrene (chips) oceon (or should that be swamp) inside the swamp to a depth of about 12".

Tasking for 7 hours 2 up, drinking a 2 gallon igloo dry between the pair and not going for a single p155.
Finally the bed under the aircon, the noisiest bliss known to mankind.

charliegolf
4th Jun 2007, 17:56
Second time I went, we had a callout at dusk to find a severely dehydrated brown job. By the time we got there it was, as Baldrick might observe, 'as black as a very black, black thing in a black sack on a very dark night'. Portly Taffy pilot from Bridgend- name escapes me was the skipper. Wouldn't want to do it for fun!

Anyone remember 'tea parties' in the mess?

CG

No Vote Joe
4th Jun 2007, 18:01
"Is that Mr James Spankie with the intials GT?"

That's him, surely, there could be only one!!!!

As for Gimlet, a first drunken night in Rauls, then a fortnight on AB's and orange juice!!!

Mr C (Garth, as FS at the time!!) waking to find that we'd left the door open of the Trannie cage (left to us by the QM of the RIC) after a B's Ball, then processing his photos when he got home to find us with our hands and faces in said cage, and none of us could remember!!!!!

Still, and sadly, a time lost to the ravages of the past ten years. A time when you were allowed to have a bit of fun, and the saying "All work and no play makes Jack a dull lad" was sung by those above. :{

Tigs2
4th Jun 2007, 18:22
:{:{:{:{

Lunches on Hunting Key!

What was the recipe for the best Pinacoladas ever? I used to laugh so much, the Swamp would be ankle deep in Pinacoladas, Music on at 2 in the morning, while a couple of the crewmen would be trying to get some 'zeds'! Then someone shouts 'Fire in the hole!', The door blows off, in come the boys from22. The cleaner in the morning, the big Mamma, would just nod her head and mop up around the boys.

Lunches at Journeys end!

AG going out to fight a fire in the jungle and re-filling 'The Rain maker' at a pool in the jungle, only to find out later the pool was a fresh water shrimp farm, and he had just dumped 1 ton of fresh water shrimps on the fire!

Finding out that the beat of helicopter blades on the water did actually attract sharks, and trying with a junior crewman to put a slab of meat on the end of an 80ft strop to try and catch one and drop it in the brigadiers swimming pool.

Driving to Cancun and staying in a flea ridden $10 a night hotel, staying up till morning in Signor Frogs, going back to the flea pit, change into beach wear then walk through reception in the Sheraton, blag good morning to the concierge and walk out the back and spend all day sleeping on the beach, to start all over again at 6pm, never sleeping in the flea pit for five days.

Where is HG Wells with that time machine of his?? PLEASE!!

Green Hat/Yellow Hat
5th Jun 2007, 09:37
Finally the bed under the aircon, the noisiest bliss known to mankind.

Or what about the bed in the middle of the room for the "FNG"? Want to sleep, on Duty Crew, pulled the curtain round and then the boys come in for a Swamp Party. Wakey Wakey!! :ok:

Airborne Aircrew
5th Jun 2007, 21:14
Tiger_mate:

Lemme see... I did three tours in the Swamp in '87... One of the Tiger pilots had too much class, (not to mention sense), to go calling people dicks in a public forum when they don't know who's watching... That leaves two others... Funnily enough one was generally known as "Mary" and the other was generally known as "Chrithtine", (yes, that's a lisp on the "s").

Unfortunately I don't recall the specific event you mention but I am quite sure that if I was ordering Mary or Chrithtine to attend Rosie's it was because I was the only one with the balls to tell whichever one of you it was the general consensus of the "troops"... That being that you were probably finally old enough for sex with a partner other than the palm of your hand... and please don't start regaling us with stories of "Doctors, nurses, teachers, CSE Roadshow chicks" because we all know that the percentage of "scores" in the officers mess wasn't even close to the number of blistered palms....:uhoh:

So... Is is Mary of Chrithtine??? PM me... I'd love to know...

Frank_Gallagher
6th Jun 2007, 13:12
God bless the Puma crews for the weekly Friday night ride out to San Pedro and back on Sunday afternoon.

Being a Butcher Radar boy we made full use of this excellent service!!

charliegolf
6th Jun 2007, 14:18
Wasn't San Ped redesignated the A/C Rollover Pan in the early 80s?

One of the crewmen (Iwasn't there) said it was like the dunker going in to get the bits and pieces afterward. Except it was dry of course. And not in Portsmouth...

CG

ShyTorque
6th Jun 2007, 16:57
And thankfully not at the top of a 60 foot tower...... :)

San Pedro, the duty lunch was nice. Not so sure about the time we were over-run with land crabs in the duty room.

Hueymeister
6th Jun 2007, 20:33
Remember it well.....my leaving do in the Mess which then ended up in the Swamp...Jabba naked in the bar mixing the pina coladas, Bratty forgetting to put the top on the mixer and covering everyone within 10ft with the contents of the jug. Raoul's and the daughter of the owner of the bar on the Hummingbird Highway doing a lesbian show for the boys with one of the employees. Staying 10 up in the Mayan Princess in San Pedro, skinny dipping with the Air Commander's daughter and some other very fit young doctors...them's were the days. These reminisences have just cheered me up no end...life in the stink pit (Asskrakistan) is the pits right now.

ex fat repair team
6th Jun 2007, 23:02
All of us that have left the air force and wish we were there to help and support all of your effort in these times,hope that you can still have a laugh and get home safely.

jayteeto
9th Jun 2007, 12:07
Being a driver, I was only allowed in the swamp with an invitation. Not being there every day probably saved me from alcoholism. Fantastic memories, made better by fantastic people. Gary Seaweed giving the CSM absolute rocks for daring to enter the 'new' swamp, Pigpens face when we forced landed in the jungle, my face when the group captain refused to pick us up post-incident (barsteward). A trip to Columbia, via Honduras, Nicaragua (at height of war!!) and Costa Rica. My R+R flight diverted to El Salvador, with subsequent detention for 3 hours by the secret police (never did report that). A total of nine months spent in paradise, 80% boring and uncomfortable, 20% total class. Do they use 151 in the Afgan Pina Coladas??

lsh
9th Jun 2007, 20:52
Then there was "Funkletrumpet" who turned on the fan to "blow" the f troops smoke grenade out of the Swamp, problem was it was a "goes-in"!! Red - Red - Pink!
JD's 3-ship, "smoke-on GO", the tape holding them to the step melted!!
Alfie Wells "swimming pool" (the reserve water tank), post-swim he lay on my bed. Very wet, Very smelly foul orange/green scum!
"Charlie" Farley "moonbathing", sunbed, shorts, shades etc etc.
Remember "the spermbank"?!
Belize, what a craphole!
lsh

oldbeefer
9th Jun 2007, 21:21
Belize, what a craphole!
lsh
And Caye Chapel, San Ped, Cancun, The Swamp ... If they are that bad, I'm not sure what you'd make of The Sandpit(s)!

lsh
10th Jun 2007, 08:48
Belize Radio: "The sea is chop to choppy", "Mrs Smith of San Ignacio, come home, your son is dead".
Air to ground GPMG firing at old cars on the range.
Airfield attacks, low flying up the river.
STIMS
Gateway House
RSM,s
Maybe I do miss some of it after all!?
lsh

Green Hat/Yellow Hat
10th Jun 2007, 10:47
Do they use 151 in the Afgan Pina Coladas??

Appleton's 151, rocket fuel for $10 Belize a bottle. So smooth on they way down, awful the next morning!

I remember at certain Crewman Ldr, DS, at Odious who had a bottle in his drinks cabinet for special occaisions, and came back one evening to find that his wife had used it in coffees for the girls after a night out!! :O

jayteeto
10th Jun 2007, 13:22
DS made us swig it neat at the post sqn lunch cricket match!!
Was the sea anything other than light chop to choppy??
Ish, if I was paying for a holiday then I would have felt ripped off, but it was a detachment for gods sake!! Cyprus, HK, Las Vegas all have a million tales to tell here, but Belize was just another planet compared to those places.
Swinging the lantern again..... The Gloucestershires were the resident pongos in country, they decided to hold an open day at airport camp. The SNCOs did a Morris Dancing demonstration for the locals. The look on the reggae devotees faces will stay with me forever, bewilderment as these grown men danced in the FULL kit. I was in tears as they all walked away and mobbed the jumble sale stall instead. Classic.

Green Hat/Yellow Hat
10th Jun 2007, 13:27
.....The look on the reggae devotees faces will stay with me forever.....

Columbian, Columbian Rock, No 1 in the Belizean chart from 1985 till 1988!! :yuk:

ShyTorque
10th Jun 2007, 17:20
Anyone else remember the two crewmen (GMcA and PT) getting caught in the act of "liberating" the bell from the Sgts Mess back to blighty?

I knew some thing was up as soon as PT staggered (for more than one reason) into the "trooping centre" (cinema) with something very heavy in his beach bag; the strap was nearly cutting his shoulder off. As they sat down next to me it was more than a small giveaway when the bag went "DOI-OI-OING!" as it hit the floor.... I quickly moved along half a row!

Enter RSM and OC Det (JS) who beckoned said miscreant crewmen. Exit McA and PT, only to return minus the bag and contents.... lucky they weren't locked up. :rolleyes:

One night a "well worn" Harrier pilot tried to shoot a big ferocious landcrab which was living under the water cooler outside the pilot's rooms. A big claw used to appear and have a go at unsuspecting flip-flop clad feet... "Bona mate" took aim with his spear fishing gun, missed completely, only to see the spear bounce off the concrete and go straight through the plywood wall into the latrine block. Another pilot was showering when he had a very miss with the spear, which clattered in alongside him.

lsh, I think I was there too when "Noeffinit" did his trick with the red smoke grenade. First time I'd seen red flying suits apart from the Red Arrows.

Hueymeister
10th Jun 2007, 18:18
No unfortunately we're dry. If we weren't I'd probably spend the day wrecked. Even the air here is poisonous!

Back to the thread; Best flight was with Ges C. down to Rideau the onto a Caye for lunch and a stim, watching the scandanavian scientists on the next caye sunbathing naked....cool.

Learning to Dive and sail at Journey's End. :DTop Fun. Flying Island Air to San Pedro was the scariest thing I have ever done:eek:. Taking Batties Bus to Cancun was the second scariest. :uhoh:Water-skiing by TJI Fridays not knowing the Croc in the Lake was a REAL LIVE ONE! Bungy jumping over the lake..the next scariest. Being flown from San Ped to APC by the Air Commander Martin E was an event I do not want to repeat:mad:.

Cane Juice hangovers....my god they lasted for days! Living in the Jungle for 10 days with a bunch of Hereford Hooligans was a real honour. Being taught to blow sh1t up and carrying out river crossings was a giggle. Land Crabs in the Mess, they were big bastards! Having a genuine Fer-de-Lance in the Bar one night...quickest I ever saw the Permanent Staff Pongoes move!

lsh
10th Jun 2007, 19:44
Party in the Swamp:
RSM arrives "rant, rant, rant, rave, rant . And I'm going to speak to your Boss in the morning".
"Why not speak to him now Sir" says "Spiny" Norm, indicating Keith W who was sitting on the bed wearing a knotted hankie on his head!
Refuelling from APFC's at Holdfast.
Double fuel filter changes every lunchtime.
Bobby T releasing 22 litres of OEP70 onto the floor whilst doing a SOAP sample.
"Release the handheld mongoose".
AND I SAW THE "CHILD BRIDES" NIPPLE!
Ooooh its getting better!
lsh

lsh
15th Jun 2007, 14:21
Then there was....
Muttley, the Det. dog
Steve M-----t and the goat!
Union Camp, "light guns" (1900kg!), heading and time, min fuel.
"Pins A+B in, pin C is out"
Fun with the atap roof fans
and the best bit of all...
back at Brize, cold air and a tan at Christmas!
lsh

ShyTorque
15th Jun 2007, 18:51
lsh,

Strewth - the flying black billy goat for the Ghurkas (well, running 1500 feet vertically downwards into the jungle) story is a good one - I've recounted it a few times - who was the pilot though when it appeared in the cockpit; I can't remember?

Talking of flying objects - smoking in the Puma cockpit was allowed if an ashtray was fitted. As a non-smoker, I used to "lose them" - in fact I helped lay a trail of the damn things in the jungle all the way to BGS at Rideau camp - stores eventually ran out of them and it was officially no smoking. :)

(Cue local natives talking in the jungle watering hole - "Bloody RAF! Last week it was ashtrays - now it's a F>c£ing GOAT)!"

Airdog Muttley with the hare lip from a local's machete bite. She got put on a charge for sleeping on duty and fined some biscuits, IIRC.

Buying a mahogany rocking chair from the Mennonite settlement - landed many times for others - never got one myself!

The mad major at Holdfast "Call me Rocky! Only one thing I'm scared of, don't you know - SNAKES; but I'm going to conquer that fear :suspect:".
Shortly afterwards he took a snake off me and it bit him... poor bloke probably still has nightmares :E

"One Barrel" cheap rum - which got banned after the SMO had it analysed - methyl alcohol sends you blind - can I claim for needing reading glasses these days? :cool:

Arriving for my first det - APC swimming pool closed indefinitely just before I got there due to some drunken grunt laying a brown harbour trout down in the deep end. Still got my NAAFI beach towel from Honduras though, twenty five years later. Now that WAS a bargain.

Oh, Happy days.

MReyn24050
16th Jun 2007, 17:30
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/QueenvisittoBelize19852.jpg
It is great to see that the two RAF personnel, I believe from Butcher Radar, are paying due respect at the attention as the Queen's Tristar taxies in after landing. IIRC the Royal Engineer detachment were given a direct order not to display the scores they use to award the pilots of the VC10s for their landing skill or to moon the aircraft when HM departed Belize.

Tiger_mate
16th Jun 2007, 18:28
I think that I am right in saying that PSP matting had to be laid aside the runway in order that the TriStar could do a 180` at the runways end. This is I believe the reason that the VC10 maintained the route after the RAF got their second hand, never raced or rallied TriStars.

A favourite topic was always the 'names' applied to the airlines of the day. I would be thrown out of big brother for repeating some, but the airlines themselves were:

SAHSA (B727) .........Stay at home...........Stay alive
TACA (BAC 1-11) .........Transport a ........anywhere
TAN..........!
'White knuckle'..Tropic Air (Cessna 208 to San Pedro)

MReyn24050
16th Jun 2007, 18:50
bigbluecar
During HH Pope JP2nd visit to Beereaze in 1983, TACA stood for " Take A Catholic Anywhere".He was a braver man than I, to kiss that tarmac!
No big ting man. Couldn't agree more. You may recall that in the film "The Dogs of War", Belize International was the Airport used in the film. It must have not cost MGM a penny to shoot that scene as the Airport was exactly as I remembered it when I was there with Sioux Flight 663 Sqn AAC in 1972.

MReyn24050
16th Jun 2007, 20:11
bigbluecar.
Showing yer age! I know.In those days I used to catch the 1930hrs bus from outside of the WOs and Sgts Mess get off at the swing bridge walk up Regents Street West past the Bamboo Bay Hamburger Bar walk to the end of the road and meet a certain young lady. At the end of the evening walk back down the road and catch the last bus back to camp. I recall one evening due to a Mess Meeting I got a taxi down and as the cab driver drove up Regents Street West he said "Hey Man this is a bad road" "Oh" says I. "Yes Man" he said "A few weeks ago a guy was knifed over there and a few days later another was shot dead" The things we do when we are young!
The Bamboo Bay Hamburger Bar, the only thing to do with the burgers was to fed them to the cat fish in the river and see how high they would jump.

Tiger_mate
16th Jun 2007, 20:12
I am quite sure that a 'tour' of the market was my Combat Ready check!!

Witnessing a turtle execution is still a vivid memory.

MReyn24050
16th Jun 2007, 21:17
bigbluecar
When I were there in '81, you couldn't go out unless you wore long sleeve shirts, and free condoms were available at the guard room. The Bellevue was our favourite haunt, with the house band, The Professionals.
It was much the same in 71. Long sleeved shirts and the free condoms not in packets of three but boxes of 12 Dozen. I still have a LP of the Professionals "The Professionals on Tour" which includes the last track Belizean Bruckdown". Belize is often put down as the "Ar***** of the World" but I thought it was pure magic, I went back in 1985 and 1996. The Bellevue was right on the waterfront as you say a favourite haunt. On the other side of the river was the Fort George Hotel.

plans123
16th Jun 2007, 22:49
Ah Yes, the Butcher Radar 'Magic or Crap', I remember doing them very well. Once got a request (actually requested) to do one for a VC10 in 89. He didn't like it very much when he got a 'crap' and had a whinge at OC Butcher - never mind, sometimes its better not to ask!

ex fat repair team
16th Jun 2007, 23:58
Was on C D hide during HM visit.

If memory serves me right,

1) tristar had engine problems, suspect problem caused by fod damage due to width of runway.

2) HM was served jungle rat at a formal dinner.

First and only time i had been on base and not spent a week cleaning and painting everything when HM or her family was visiting.

MReyn24050
17th Jun 2007, 14:26
The Queen arriving back at Belize International after an aerial tour of the country.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Aircraft/HMtheQueendepartsonaaerialtourofBel.jpg
During Her Majesty's visit to Belize she was taken on a flying tour of Belize in a Britten-Norman Defender belonging to the Belize Defence Force. When Her Majesty later visited airport camp somebody asked if she was enjoying her visit to Belize. The Queen was reported to have replied "Yes thank you, I have even been taken on a trip in a flying perambulator to see the marijuana fields" or words to that effect.

Tiger_mate
17th Jun 2007, 14:52
The Queen was reported to have replied "Yes thank you, I have even been taken on a trip in a flying perambulator to see the marijuana fields" or words to that effect.

"Dont drink and drive.....SMOKE; AND FLY" :O

There was some interesting 'flora' growing outside the Swamp once upon a time.

ShyTorque
17th Jun 2007, 22:17
Once witnessed a departing Herk with one engine that wouldn't start. Having had at least two desperate attempts to "bump start" it by accelerating down the runway with one engine windmilling, it finally took off on three engines with a prop feathered.

Strange that it got as far as Nassau before the crew noticed and put it u/s ....... can't say I blame them.

Whatever, I'm sure the 3 donk takeoff was all legal and above board and cleared by the AOC.

Seeeeeeeing as he was on board ;)

lsh
18th Jun 2007, 08:42
Best takeoff I saw was from the F4U Corsair!
A quick low pass and off to the States.
Was on the way up from Honduras when the gear wouldnt come down for the refuel stop. Wasnt there to see the landing but only the prop was damaged.
One of our groundcrew (Bill G?) got the hydraulics sorted.
It had an ARC 1 radio (ARK?!) (Even the Mk5's at SY had got up to ARC 52!!)
Still got the photos of it on the dispersal, bent prop was mounted in concrete.
2nd best: The VC10 taking me home
3rd best: ditto!
4th best: ....
etc etc!
Cheers!
lsh

MReyn24050
18th Jun 2007, 10:41
I recall an incident in Belize back in 1985 at the time of handover from the Royal Marine Commandos to an incoming Infantry Unit. The VC10 had arrived with members of the incoming unit and were in the process of unloading the baggage. One of the 4 Tonners being used in the process had had a problem starting so whilst it was backed up to the rear of the aircraft the engine had been left running. Unfortunately one of the guys unloading was a little too enthusiastic in throwing the bags into the truck and the bag ended up falling through the cupola of the truck's cab knocking the gear lever into reverse which caused the truck to reverse into the VC10 causing some damage which placed the aircraft US. The individual concerned had to be locked up in the guardroom for his own security as there were a very many irate Royals who wanted to lych him from the nearest tree.

Dan Gerous
18th Jun 2007, 21:03
Recalling some great memories with this thread. Did two stints there in 81 and 84. As someone said earlier, it was one of the best postings going, pity it isn't still on the go. Loved San Pedro, remember sitting on the veranda at Capt Loco's late one fine evening, R+C in hand, live reggae music coming from inside, the Carribbean gently lapping up onto the beach, and thinking I'm being paid (extra) for this. 84 the Paras (3?) had just arrived. We always seemed to get stuck behind them in our truck going over to the Williamson site, as they marched with their band to change the guard in the morning. I taped some suitable RAF marches at the BFBS Station one night and the next day with the help of a ghetto blaster, we had some more appropriate music following them.
Happy Days :):)

scorpieswift
18th Jun 2007, 22:05
After reading all of the memories, I have found that I know nearly all of the stories, having bored many people endlessly with them myself, like VF……..

But I remember the Queens visit, after being on ecort duties with 2 other Pumas, when Nige K and JW had to turn back to Belmapan shortly after T/O with severe vibration; on landing 2 tyres were burst…….. that made about 6 for Nige K’s tour! …… But after the 4th tyre he was given the ‘Gypsies warning’……. Imagine their 'relief' when they found that they had come close to shedding a tail rotor blade!..........

PS If someone could instruct me on how to post a pic, I have some to share?

charliegolf
19th Jun 2007, 10:10
Ah, The Ferrett. Tyres too eh, didn't know about those, but I do remember he cooked a rotor brake on 33. Very sluggish start up Nige!

He also had a bit of a sore groin for a week on one Belize det, though not for the usual reason- this involved a quack, a scissors and a local anaesthetic! Very popular with the other pilots for a couple of days, but I think they forgave him.

CG

Happy days.

oldbeefer
19th Jun 2007, 10:51
I DID shed a tail blade (or most of it) - ended up in a very different swamp to the one in this threead!

ewe.lander
19th Jun 2007, 17:39
Thanks green & yellow hat! first thread i've enjoyed for a while..... was a crewman in belize in '76, very happy days - only marred by losing the lads at Salamanca, top crew, with the totally barmy and brilliant Master ALM who lived life to the full.

The 'Big C' the night ALL the Aircrew from RAF & AAC had a party there including the stood down duty crew in flying suits. The dodgy RAF plaque that departed at speed from the fan and whacked the (tosser) GSM on the head. The AAC SSgt Pilot who grew tired of the Parrokeet and hit it with a squash racket, and as for the Sioux that didnt quite manage Cadenas...... almost dropped it as an USL on the way back to APC laughing. Golden Lex Brown days..... mad git, brilliant pilot.

MReyn24050
19th Jun 2007, 18:56
Just a couple of shots to bring back some memories.
RAF boat on route down the Belize river to St George's Key
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/BelizeRiverinRAFboat1985.jpg
Arrival at St George's Key
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/StGeorgesKey31985.jpg

scorpieswift
20th Jun 2007, 21:26
anyone remember MGM and his white thong:eek:! + Stingray bite + Medallion + much, much, more.........

jayteeto
21st Jun 2007, 01:38
I was there that day!! I think as a Cpl in those days. He was squealing when he got 'stung', how we laughed!!

Evileyes
21st Jun 2007, 07:28
scorpieswift

Pic posting:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=203481

MReyn24050
21st Jun 2007, 07:53
These boys had recovered a number of 25 Flt AAC's Gazelles over the years before they withdrew from Belize in 1994 I believe.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Aircraft/puma.jpg

scorpieswift
21st Jun 2007, 20:47
thanks for the pic info.........

MReyn24050
22nd Jun 2007, 09:47
We look forward to your photographs.

Dundiggin'
24th Jun 2007, 09:37
What a detachment that was.....'first of many times I lived in the swamp was Jan '79. I remember Mutley the flea ridden dog at the airfield - hated locals and used to chase them down the road barking like mad running after them on their bikes....the original 'Big C' which burnt down only to be replaced with another...yes you've guessed it 'Big C'. I remember the Mamma being interviewed on early evening TV back in UK trying to convince the somewhat cynical interviewer that the 'Big C' was a nightclub and not a brothel! My kids asking me all sorts of questions which I had to reply with somewhat white-ish lies! Being called out on night standby to pull a hooligan with meniningitus out of Blue Hole Camp (smallest clearing in Belize at the time surrounded by the biggest trees). Vortex ring on the way in! That was bloody close! Being shown the BGS task by Short Fat Stan ending up with a wingover over the Guat camp! Harrier mate MINJO in the LHS thought it was great sport until he also got a bollicking from CBF for letting us wander into Guat (No GPS or Decca there!). Bloody green parokeet which had sustained a tip strike with mess fan (!) was grounded for a couple of weeks and spent the time being taken out on people's shoulders - ruined the flying suit with gwano down the back. Being warned not to leave my flying boots on the swamp floor as John F....r would p@ss in them! One night being awoken by a helluva noise of cursing, metal coathangers being banged around in a wooden wardrobe as JF (too many G&T's) had trapped himself inside the wardrobe looking for the light switch! The Sunday standby at San Pedro when the only building on the beach was Ramon's Water Lodge - he used to give us a free Sunday lunch of Lobsters and Crabs (the edible kind!) every week. Aaaaaaaagh...happy days..

ShyTorque
24th Jun 2007, 11:35
Ah, yes... and those Iguanas, huge ones, living in the drains by HQ.
The Force "Bedding store", manned by wiry, slighly long haired "stores personnel", often seen cleaning "non standard" weapons, who seemed to be deciding if you were likely to be trusted to fly them to places you were often glad you weren't going to.

Anyone else remember the day the "post AOC's" BBQ on Caye Chapel which ended up with every single Harrier and SH pilot stranded offshore due to the Air Commander's launch breaking down and the duty Puma's #2 engine deciding it wasn't going to start? The AOC was still there and had to authorise the single engine transit off the oiled sand strip back to APC to get a replacement aircraft. We arrived back overhead in the dark, to start ferrying everyone back to APC, to find the place in total darkness and everyone pi$$ed in the bar. So much for the promised HLS lighting, thanks guys!

St Johns Wort
25th Jun 2007, 18:39
TM, the interesting 'flora' in The Swamp garden had also been planted outside both police sections, in the Air Commanders garden and the CBFs garden 'just in case'. Picture the scene if you will; Cpl Plod gently moving aside stalks of said flora, totally oblivious as to what it was, as he "searched for evidence of an explosive device" the morning after the night of the visit of the door removal service.
I particularly liked the dit about Medallion Mike M when, during the Queens visit, he 'lifted' the glass, complete with lippy smudge, used by HMTQ after a G&T in the Sgts Mess and hid it in the Swamp. Enter Richie and JW who wiped the glass clean and had the buxom laundry lady re kiss the glass. Mike treasured that souvenir.

Priceless!

Airborne Aircrew
25th Jun 2007, 20:41
Angel the Jaguar athe Belize Zoo... You could pet her through the fence and she'd purr like a kitten

http://www.apm-home.net/images/angeljaguar.jpg

A card I received from my then wife that sum's it all up really... :E

http://www.apm-home.net/images/card.jpg

Airport Camp in Feb 1987

http://www.apm-home.net/images/apc.jpg

My Barracuda, Caye Chapel... Strewth indeed... :cool:

http://www.apm-home.net/images/barracuda.jpg

The main square from the top of the Great Pyramid, Caracol Ruins, 1987.

http://www.apm-home.net/images/caracol.jpg

25 Flt AAC over the Jungle

http://www.apm-home.net/images/gazelle.jpg

Journey's End on any Sunday

http://www.apm-home.net/images/Sunday.jpg

All ready for a "Swamp Bash"

http://www.apm-home.net/images/Swamp%20Bash.jpg

The result of a "Swamp Bash"... This gentleman was suitably nicknamed Swampy

http://www.apm-home.net/images/Swampy.jpg

The Belize River from somewhere over APC looking towards Belize City

http://www.apm-home.net/images/river.jpg

The Swamp doors with my running gear drying on the line

http://www.apm-home.net/images/swamp.jpg

I have tons more but most have people in that are clearly recognizable and I don't have permission to post... So I won't.

lsh
25th Jun 2007, 23:26
I match the Trendy Masters thong and raise you Fitz-S's sarong!!
What a sight!
Nice pics, I shall try to post some when I get home, "down route" at the moment.
TTFN
lsh

Wiretensioner
26th Jun 2007, 19:00
So LSH (oh how long that moniker has stuck) do you remember when FitzS did the jungle course, got some sap of some tree in his eyes and was blinded. He had to come back by Landrover as they would not let the duty crew aeromed him out.

Memories of the swamp. No F in it arriving and spending his first night sleeping outside after we told him the Swamp was full. Burning Steve R..e's letter to his missus after taking three hours to write it (FitzP's idea not mine), taking Mancub down the Big C for his 21st. Happy times, good flying and yep then best take off WAS the one with you onboard.:cool:

scorpieswift
28th Jun 2007, 15:27
Just a taster for nowhttp://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/nig58/b600gif.gif

scorpieswift
28th Jun 2007, 21:49
Sorry about the pic size, I'm still getting to grips with the system,
Hi ginge, nice pics, where are you now, like the airborne bit, you need to let go of the Reg............

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/nig58/b600gif.gif

ewe.lander
29th Jun 2007, 13:37
:ok: Hey WT.....must have been there in 76, I was there with no effing McC! How about when MGM didnt put the round catcher on his door mounted GPMG and 'feathered' the Puma tail? The boys catching a Guat dakota on the wrong side of Cadenus. The Queens Own Highlanders boat overloaded going into Cadenas, driver chopped engine and boat sank (Guats rolling around the floor laughing across the river - same time as Sioux departed backwards and ever downwards off cadenus.....)

As for the QOH regimental dinners.......

The swamp fraterity in deep doodoo.....

'Hurricane' deployment to san pedro, Puma det challenged to a game of footy by the locals....we retired at half time to get monged having failed to stop their goal scoring frenzy even with 2 goalies...

MReyn24050
29th Jun 2007, 16:51
Christmas 1972– Belize.
Date and Time:- Three days before Christmas Day 1972.
Unit:- Sioux Flight Detachment 663 Squadron AAC.
A tasking had been received for a Santa Sortie to fly Father Christmas to a Children’s Party at Bird Island in Belize City. Planned time of take-off 1500 hours. 1500 hours arrived but no Santa. At 1530 hours a car arrived with a Santa who obviously had been having a little too much Christmas spirit. So whilst the Sioux was started and run up to operating temp Santa was told to sit on an oil drum and wait and he would then be taken to the aircraft and strapped in.Whilst seated he was given all the required safety instructions. This was in the days when the AAC Detachment hangar was a Romney Hut across on the airport side of the runway near the river opposite the fire station and an old hanger which was being used as a shirt factory.
Before many minutes we had several young kids standing watching Father Christmas all with large bright eyes only to witness Santa loosing his beard to the exclamation of “F*** this mother-of-f******” beard. We soon whisked him off strapped him in the aircraft and he was off he went to charm other kids at the party. The Sioux was being flown with doors off and as it banked away down the runway flight path Santa thought he was going to fall out and grabbed the pilot's arm. He soon received a thump and told to sit still which he obeyed for the rest of the short flight. Fortunately we did not undertake any more S**** Claus Sorties after that.

lsh
30th Jun 2007, 14:31
I have a photo of FitzS and Mancub on board the Puma en-route that Jungle Survival course, it was a pleasure to drop them off!!
(PS How do I post the photos?)
When Mancub and I first flew together we had a combined age of 41!
lsh

Tiger_mate
30th Jun 2007, 15:34
Angel the Jaguar athe Belize Zoo... You could pet her through the fence and she'd purr like a kitten

http://www.artistic.flyer.co.uk/bzjaguar.jpg
Not always; sorry its not in focus; I was busy ****ting myself at the time!
When I was there the Jaguars were: Maya / Pinto & Xuancha
A photograph of the 'city', the overhead banner says: One people, one nation, one destiny (in reverse), which is a strange thing to say in what is a very multi-race country.
http://www.artistic.flyer.co.uk/holdfast.jpg
1563 cab at Holdfast, probably whilst a Sqn Ldr who seemed to know the entire nation was visiting one of his mates.

Sand4Gold
30th Jun 2007, 16:00
Tiger Mate

You're the most 'chilled' out individual I know......must of been a faulty camera! :cool:

charliegolf
30th Jun 2007, 17:19
Great thread, bringing lots of old memories back. Every post seems to dig up a new place name i'd forgotten. Holdfast two posts back!.

A scanned map would surely be out of the question. Wouldn't it?

I'd like to see where jumbo was, and all the others. What was the name and no of the Bounty advert r&r place on the coast circa 81 and 82? Placencia?

Keep em coming.

CG

lsh
30th Jun 2007, 18:03
I've still got a map which could be scanned.
Also an HLS directory.
Away all week, but can put them on next week, if someone can explain how to upload the scans/photos!
lsh
(Excused Puma)

MReyn24050
30th Jun 2007, 19:16
Possibly not quite the map you are looking for but it does show some place names.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/relief.jpg

Tiger_mate
30th Jun 2007, 22:24
Anyone got a photograph of a Puma at the 'HLS' where you could put a wheel in Belize, one in Mexico and one in Quatamala?

IIRC there was a small engraved marker stone that you could land on top of.

ShyTorque
30th Jun 2007, 23:34
Another view of Caye Chapel; my first view of the beach on arrival by Puma one cloudy Sunday morning for SAR standby; probably 1981.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/shytorque/b59f86ef.jpg
The photo of the Barracuda was probably taken just out of this view, to the right.

Who was the 230 Sqn crewman pointing to the fridge ready for the Swamp party?

Airborne Aircrew
1st Jul 2007, 02:53
The 230 crewman pointing at the fridge was me...

I was a 33 Crewman... and that was my Barracuda... :cool:

No apologies needed... ;)

As to the Jaguars.. There was only Angel when I went there, (can't remember the year), but there was a particularly nasty smaller cat, (Ocelot comes to mind but it wasn't that, it was bigger), that had hit the chicken wire of it's cage so often in the same place that it was bowed out about two feet to the point where one seriously wondered how much longer the wire would last. If you got closer than about 10 feet, (which meant only being about 8-10 feet from Angel's cage), it went ballistic in this bit of the fence screaming, hissing and charging into the wire "cave" it had made...

Then, just around the corner was the Tapir that loved having it's butt scratched...

Now that was a zoo... None of this "moats" and bars stuff...;-)

ScorpieSwift:

I have one of those too... :p

http://www.apm-home.net/images/huntingCaye.jpg

I also have these, (not taken by me but "acquired" <LOL>

AAC Gazelle at Altun Ha(?)

http://www.apm-home.net/images/altun%20ha.jpg

The Blue Hole

http://www.apm-home.net/images/Bluehole.jpg

A Puma over the Fort George

http://www.apm-home.net/images/FortGeorge.jpg

Journey's End, replete with volleyball game

http://www.apm-home.net/images/Journeysend.jpg

JB's

http://www.apm-home.net/images/jbs.jpg

The pool, field and Sgt's Mess at APC

http://www.apm-home.net/images/sgtsmess.jpg

lsh
26th Jul 2007, 08:20
http://http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/simonhphotos/?action=view&current=TheSwamp21.jpg
A convivial drink in a "gentlemans club", somewhere in the Carribean c1980!
("Turker", Stu Wright, "Man-Cub")
lsh

lsh
26th Jul 2007, 08:41
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/simonhphotos/TheSwamp21.jpg
Sorry, first attempt at photo. Lets try again!
Here we are, at the gentlemans club, c1980. (Casual Dress night).
("Turker, Stu Wright, "Man-Cub").
lsh

Green Hat/Yellow Hat
26th Jul 2007, 10:53
A Ha! That wouldn't be a nearly empty bottle of Appletons 151 on the table, would it? One of the many!!! :ok:

lsh
26th Jul 2007, 11:39
Certainly not! (They are just having a "standby coke"!!)
http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/simonhphotos/th_officersmess24.jpg
Officers Mess Kitchens, post fire.
F/O Phil Roberts does a damage assessment in daylight, supported by FitzS.
lsh

scout
9th Apr 2008, 11:17
:ok:Ah yes,
The Swamp.
Spent 2 years in BZ; the best skit was the Sunday pm when LGB was launched with Harrier mate to "deter" Guat gunboat from harrassing Dark Blue survey ship.
Messes on APC buzzing when they returned, no combat, but masses of Rule Britannia and thick heads next day.

NUFC1892
7th Aug 2008, 09:54
Just found this thread and am reminded of one of the best decisions I ever made - applying for 6 months in Belize as a carefree 21 year old singly storeman. I spent 3 months at Salamanca as the only RAF inhabitant (refuelling as I recall about 3 cabs a week and sleeping off hangovers the rest of the time) and 3 months based at APC but flying or driving around the country setting up refuelling sites, no supervision from above just trusted to get on with the job (maybe those above didn't quite fancy going to the places they were sending me!). The drive from APC down to the far south is a memory that I will have forever, the Yellow Brick Road from APC down to Williamson site was like the M1 in comparison.

Loads of great memories of the places and activities mentioned but my personal best memory is of being flown out of Salamanca on Xmas Eve 1979 in time to join up with my mates at APC heading off to Caye Caulker for a week.

Happy, Happy Days. Even filling sandbags on New Years Eve for a forthcoming Exercise Montezuma's Revenge had an element of fun to it that is rare now.

lsh
7th Aug 2008, 20:27
So you will remember the VW pump at Holdfast then!?
Never worked, once resorted to troops bouncing on the APFC to try to get some fuel in, only good for about 50kg!!
Put in a second (new - working) pump for a VIP visit, took it away again the day after!
lsh

NUFC1892
8th Aug 2008, 05:45
It wasn't just the Holdfast pump! I would spend the first hour of each day trying to get Hamworthy at Salamanca going just in case I got some trade. Drove for 4 hours one day to set up a site at some remote clearing and the pump (despite running it before I left APC) just wasn't interested, getting a bunch of squaddies to jump on the APFCs was good in theory but in this instance proved totally futile.

Still, the cab took me home to pick up a new pump (well, there was no point in me staying overnight under the stars if I didn't need to) and the next day both the replacement pump and the original started first time.

Q-SKI
9th Aug 2008, 12:00
Spent many dets on 1563, remember pig-pen getting trapped in the ablutions by a very angry land-crab (of the crustacian variety)!

Airborne Aircrew
9th Aug 2008, 12:28
I recall leaving the swamp one night in towel and flip flop to go for a shower and, just outside the swamp door I kicked something that slid along the floor. I went in for a torch and found it was a toad about 8" long. "A pet" thinks me and promptly stuck it in a bath in the bath block next door, Left the window open so bugs can get it, the tap dripping for water and a sign saying "out of Order" on the door and visited it a couple of times the next morning.

About 4:30 I'm laid on my pit reading and an almighty scream comes from next door. I leap off the bed and get to the door in time to see that huge laundry lady running past the trying helplessly to cover here rather large body with a towel that had clearly given up trying.

I nipped into the bathroom, removed the sign and made like nothing had happened.

lsh
9th Aug 2008, 14:00
More likely that "Pigpen" had the landcrab cornered!!!

There is of course absolutely no truth in the rumour that D*** E***S
vomited on a toad and then "hosed it down", just outside the Swamp.
And he did'nt personally tell me that story either!!!

lsh

ShyTorque
9th Aug 2008, 14:11
More likely that "Pigpen" had the landcrab cornered!!!

He always was a leg man. ;)

The Helpful Stacker
9th Aug 2008, 14:56
YouTube - Giant Blue Land Crab in Belize (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsrTONNljcM)