PDA

View Full Version : JAA to FAA conversion ME/IR

mrx111
3rd Jun 2007, 09:27
Does anybody have some experience with JAA to FAA license conversion? I hold ATPL(A)-Frozen. There is no problem with PPL conversion, but I'd like to have at least FAA PLL + ME+IR? Does anybody know, what are FAA requiremets for ME+IR conversion? I've only finished integrated ATPL course with 200hrs TT.

kuchemann carrots
3rd Jun 2007, 09:54
I think it depends on whether you are getting a validation or converting. I attained my FAA PPL through a validation from my Aussie license. I had to send off a form, and then picked up the license a month later. I automatically got my MEP added on, and for the IR I was told I just had to complete the FAA written test. Hope that helps

mrx111
3rd Jun 2007, 11:20
It's only about written test and no additioal hours with examiner, or IFR minimum hours requirement? Do you have any idea, what is this test about? Where can I make this test?

Keygrip
3rd Jun 2007, 12:54
mrx,

You hold an "ICAO" CPL with instrument rating - there is no such licence as a "frozen ATPL" (although we understand what you mean).

Under international agreement, every ICAO contracting State must recognise PPL privilidges (not CPL) of any other ICAO State issued licence.

Each State may, however, decide how they adopt that recognition into their own licensing scheme.

The UK authorities simply say, "Your ICAO licence is valid for PPL flying - so go fly, end of story".

The USA authorities say "We recognise the ICAO PPL, but you must hols an FAA licence - so we will give you one, free of charge, based on your ICAO one. When you actually have possession of that licence, then you may go and fly".

Each State will have its own rules.

The FAA will give you Private Pilot privilidges (not CPL) on any class of aircraft that you hold ratings for - in your case at least multi engine piston, possibly also single engine piston.

The instrument rating can be validated for use in FAA airspace by taking the "Instrument Foreign Pilot" written exam. 50 questions chosen from a well publicised database of questions. That's it. Go fly IFR.

If you want a full, stand alone, FAA licence for either PPL or CPL - you have to do the full FAA stand alone flight tests and written exams. Same for the instrument rating - if you want the "real one", written exam and flight test.

All your training hours done so far will count towards the training required for FAA flight tests.