PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Orlando Flight Training or Bournemouth

weis
2nd Jun 2007, 23:02
Just wondering if anybody has attended OFT's residential ATPL course http://www.oftgs.com/residential.html wanted to know what the instructors were like, are classes all day everyday, materials, notes etc and also where do you sit the exams? Alternatively how about Bournemouth? Also looking for costs in terms of accommodation etc.Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Capt. Slow
3rd Jun 2007, 13:58
By bournemouth i'm assuming you mean EPTA? (Cabair) i attended that ground school from september to march this year, and i have to say i rate it very highly. instructors are top notch, definately know their stuff (majority are ex mil/industry),very friendly atmosphere, makes workin 9 hrs a day alot easier! a couple of the good ones left recently so i'm not too sure what its like now, but i'm sure its still top dog.

As far as OFT's ground school,never attended it,but i went there to do some flying after my exams - i heard mixed things about it...plenty of people doing it, but from what i hear its not the best around. Definately not the most established school in the world - as some other ppruners have said, why choose a school thats just getting to grips with what they have to teach when you can choose a school in england thats well established and perfecting the way they teach for pretty much the same price? Also, euroflight (the place the GS is conducted) has been dubbed 'The Zoo' (no kidding), i'd find it very hard to learn there with so many people/distractions.

In terms of cost...i got a semi decent room in a shared house in bournemouth for £250/month, not too bad...OFT's housing depends, if you stay in a hotel expect $50/day (£25) or in a shared house $35/day (£17)...do the math, it works out as alot more! and i doubt they have any rooms in the houses left now, so my money would be on you stayin in a hotel.

But anyway, its not my choice to make, i'd investigate both schools thouroughly before making a choice, just beware of the spin some people put on things...good luck!
CS

weis
3rd Jun 2007, 14:26
Many thanks for that Slow, would you be able to give me a rough idea on what you spent in total roughly on the residential ATPL's? I estimate the course including exams to set me back around £4000 + 6 months rent £1500, what about things like food, transport etc?

Thanks

Capt. Slow
3rd Jun 2007, 15:26
Well if i remember correctly the ground school cost me £5000, estimate the rent to come to £1500 if u get it cheap like i did, so your guess isnt too far off. thats exam free btw, add another £840 on top of that plus any you may have to retake. things like food etc is entirerly dependent on you, if u live like a student and take packed lunches in then it wont cost u alot (say £15-£20/wk), however if u eat out at the cafe next door (flight bites) expect to be paying £25/wk just on lunch. Transportation again depends if u already have a car or not - very useful, most accomodation will be 5 miles or so from the airport, but with the times you'll be going in expect rush hour traffic (30-40 mins to do 5 miles) so cyclings another (faster) possibility, just not practical with books etc. Arent any buses that go to the airport and taxi's cost a fortune so your options are limited. apart from that there arent many more expenses i can think of, apart from accomodation @ gatwick for exam wk & transportation to get there

phantomcruiser07
3rd Jun 2007, 17:16
Orlando Flight training FTO looks to good to be true, the course price is excellent value for money and the area and accomodation is beautifull! not to mention a good all round training fleet and decent accom prices per month.

Personally it looks like a better choice than European Flight Training!

Capt. Slow
3rd Jun 2007, 18:30
I did post earlier but it seems to have gone missing?

Too good to be true being the key word! Lol, i wouldnt exactly say good all round training fleet, tired at best. The 152's they have look like they're on their last legs! (or wheels if u prefer) The accomodation is quite good, but its hardly beautiful. thats if you do get a house, which isnt likely in my opinion - not much space last time i checked (beware - all the houses seem to be infested with ants!!), so the other option would be the hotel (House=$35/night, hotel=$50/night)...the residential course all looks cheap on paper but by the time you factor in accomodation (works out about £3000 for 6 months) there isnt really much to be saved.

For EPTA i paid £5000 for the course, £1500 for accomodation, thats providing you get a decent rate of £250/month, and then the standard £800 odd for all the exams providing you pass first time. Transport not really an issue, rush hr traffic takes 20/30 mins to get thru, so expect a long commute in a car or alternatively cycle - taxi not an option as it costs the world and a bus service is non existent.

Like i said before, you got a choice of a well established and recognised school that know the ATPL exams inside out and who in my opinion do the utmost to help you pass, or, a new start up in a foreign country. sure, americas nice n all but most of the people i know couldnt stand it for more than a month or so...thats my non biased 2 cents anyway ;)

wbryce
3rd Jun 2007, 19:42
I'm on EPTAs GS course just now and im hugely impressed by them, I don't know anything about OFTs course so I can only give you a biast opinion. EPTAs a great choice, great instructors and its great value for money! IMO Your safe choice is EPTA, your riskier choice is OFT...try get some opinions from past/current students at OFT...

I'm one who considers UK training to be of a higher standard and my feelings about EPTAs groundschool strengthens my opinion.

phantomcruiser07
3rd Jun 2007, 19:58
Come on capt.slow, these pictures look prety beaut 2 me!
http://www.flyoft.com/OFT_housing.php
^^ and FTOs can do a lot worse! well I guess each to their own, anyway the only down side I can find is that they dont do the MCC, well I guess you can complete that at cabair uk.

hobbit1983
3rd Jun 2007, 22:18
When I did a month's stint in OFT's accomodation last year, they were nothing like those shown in those photos.

Bearing in mind they were still perfectly fine, just not quite as plush.

Capt. Slow
3rd Jun 2007, 23:17
If the accommodation was really like that i'd have no complaints :) but it isnt - never base your impression of a company based on its website, it'll always be dressed up...i think the apartments pictured are from the polo complex. there's 3; polo, pines and heron lakes (dubbed heroin lakes, lol), i believe pines is where they stick the majority of students. apartments are nice, basic furniture (no tv/cable, not that you'll need it but nice to chill out with) and otherwise comfy...if u can live with the ants. i dunno, might just be a seasonal thing!
dont get me wrong, OFT's an alrite place, majority of staff are friendly and the buildings arent that bad, i just think there are better places in the world when it comes to the JAA ATPL's. Its a rollercoaster ride of emotions compounded by the fact that your paying for the privelage, so picking the best training provider you can find, with minimal distractions, is definately a must

CS

weis
4th Jun 2007, 13:25
Guys thanks a lot for that, EPTA it is, i'll be paying them a visiting in the near future and check it out.

best regards

Rosie Jane
4th Jun 2007, 13:57
For my two pennies worth, I checked out BCFT and SFC and both seemed to be spot on with regards their ATPL ground schools. I also know a friend who did her ATPL at BGS and was also chuffed I dont know much about the others but the general rule must apply... check the places out, even it means a quick trip across the pond, any web site is a selling medium.

Rosie

one life...live it:)

will fly for food 06
4th Jun 2007, 16:24
Id second the BCFT option

bcft_87
4th Jun 2007, 18:53
Id third that!!

BCFT is extremely good! Instructors are immensely amusing and knowledgeable!

The guy across from me though, smells to be honest :p

Highly recommend

phantomcruiser07
4th Jun 2007, 18:58
I am a bit confused here:confused:is EPTA the same as Bournmouth Commercial flight training or are they different FTOs? btw what does EPTA stand for?

Capt. Slow
4th Jun 2007, 19:03
EPTA is the European Pilot Training Academy, basically a cabair school based at Bournemouth international, very seperate from BCFT. I've heard good things about BCFT also, the 'MET' man from EPTA moved there recently i beleive - fantastic instructor, very funny as well, got me thru a few of the more challenging subjects

phantomcruiser07
4th Jun 2007, 22:56
If they are both different , then who does the lockheed l-1011 sim belong 2? cabair and bcft both use it for their MCC, or is it som1 elses and bcft and cabair both arange their own MCC on it?

Capt. Slow
5th Jun 2007, 05:24
Always wondered that as well, EPTA's too small to fit a tristar sim inside, although they do have a basic IMC sim...wouldnt be suprised if cabair rented it off BCFT or summin similar

potkettleblack
5th Jun 2007, 08:41
The Tristar belongs to European Aviation and has no connection whatsoever with either BCFT or EPTA/Cabair. EA at one time used to be a half decent outfit before a certain bloke decided to pump all the money into a F1 racing team:) Since adam was a babe the schools from BOH have been pumping people through the MCC over at European so I am guessing there is an exchange of little wee brown envelopes at some point or some other sort of inducement.

http://www.multicrew.co.uk/

phantomcruiser07
6th Jun 2007, 12:52
Does anyone know what syllabus ground school BCFT and OFT use? eg Bristol GS, Jeppesen etc.

wbryce
6th Jun 2007, 18:04
I think BCFT use their own as do EPTA (cabairs notes).

phantomcruiser07
6th Jun 2007, 23:25
how on earth do they get by with just such a small training fleet? 4 P28A - Warriors and Cadets, 2 P28R - Arrow 3 and Arrow 5, 1 C172 ,3 BE76 - Duchess

potkettleblack
7th Jun 2007, 08:45
You think that is small? Most of the smaller training schools have a ratio of 1 instructor to 2 students when undertaking the CPL and IR. They are not like Oxford or Cabair where they have maybe 50-100 students at any one time at various stages of training. More like 10 tops.

PHIL24
7th Jun 2007, 11:52
Bcft use their own training notes which are structured around the JAR syllabus. The flight planning exam requires students to be familiar with Jeppesson charts. With regard aircraft availability the fleet fluctuates with student demand, at the moment everyone that needs to fly is able. They have a Partinavier waiting in the hanger and also an additional BE76 they can get their hands on if the need was there. To be honest based on the current numbers it is quite a big selection of aircraft compared with most 'non factory' schools

HappyFran
4th Sep 2007, 21:03
I'm thinking about BCFT or Cabair for ATPL theory, Please help ..:confused:.what was / is your experience of these FTO's