View Full Version : African Star ????????

JJflyer
27th Jun 2001, 13:46
What ever came out of this thing... Sort of just faded away or are the runners now working as jailbirds ?

JJ

Boss Raptor
27th Jun 2001, 17:45
Capt. Karama (think that's his name) appeared on the first day of a recent aviation conference held in JNB a couple of months back...he approached my 'big boss' and I with the intention of a joint venture...

I made the sign of the crucifix in Karama's direction - a code my muslim boss man is very familiar with and understands...and declined...

He had arranged to see us at breakfast the next day...but never showed...rumoured that various people had pointed out to Karama that his presence was not desired I believe!

The Guvnor
27th Jun 2001, 19:47
That's 'Kirama', BR ... or 'Kilama' or a whole load of other names... one of my former colleagues was ripped off big time by him and was able to establish through the Department of Home Affairs that he doesn't have a valid Residence Permit for South Africa in any name (and therefore no ID number - so it's very curious as to how he can get himself designated as a South African flag carrier!) He started to call himself 'Captain Joe' some time back, in an attempt (apparently successful) for people to confuse him with Joe Roy of DAS Air.

In addition, he claims that his main holding company (Starwelt Airways) is registered in Burundi and has an AOC there. Strange that they don't know him, then - last year, there was a grand total of three AOCs extant - ours, Air Burundi plus a third belonging to a small charter operator owned by a local expat.

They popped up again recently, though, claiming that they would be starting up shortly - but no one at the BAA etc knows a lot nor holds out much hope of anything actually happening. The B747-300s they planned to get from SIA (who even painted up one in African Star colours) have all been sold, mainly for conversion to freighters.

One thing I will say for him, though, is that he appears to be very well connected!