PDA

View Full Version : First Job in Tanzania

chrisdick
2nd Jun 2007, 16:02
Hi there guys

I'm 25, recently completed my cpl/multi/ir in britain with 210 hours. I'm hoping to head head out to Tanzania in December in search of the holy grail of a flying job:ok:

I'm basically looking for some contact details of companies out there. I'm already aware of coastal but would like some options. I'm also very aware that 210hours is not a lot, is this going to prevent me getting a job?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Barefoot Flyer
4th Jun 2007, 02:26
Unless you particularly want to go to TZ and have a dislike for Botswana, you will find it much easier to find work there with those hours. When i went to bots i had 210hrs and no ir and found work easily, plus its a fantastic place to really learn how to fly a plane! From what i've been told Tanzania is more a place for pilots with more like 1000hrs. Anyone with a different opinion please correct me.

helldog
5th Jun 2007, 16:10
Hi Chrisdick,

You should be right for a job in TZ with those hours, you just have to be prepared to hang in there and you will get something. Just go down there be prepared to hang around and get to know people in Mwanza, Arusha, Dar and Zanzibar. I still know most of the guys flying down there, dont be shy to go to the airport tell guys that your an out of work pilot and you will be invited out for a beer in no time. Also dont be afraid to ask for a lift between the mentioned towns most guys are more than willing to help you out with a ride. I always did it for new guys around the place, just make sure you pass the favour on in a few years when you are the one employed and a cash strapped newbie asks you for some advice or a lift. You will have the time of your life and probably meet me when I go back after a couple more years up here in the cold:ok:

alpha-b
5th Jun 2007, 21:02
Hi mate.I've been hearing a lot about Tanzanian aviation that's picking-up,however i'd like 2 know the possibilities of getting a job as a fresh Com/Ir with ME on a BE 190 or ATR 42 for expats.Any contributions is appreciated.Cheers

chrisdick
5th Jun 2007, 22:35
Helldog
Thanks very much thats the positive report that I was hoping for. My idea is that if things dont go so well I'll head down to Maun in February and try and get something there, but ideally I'd love Tanzania.
I don't suppose with your knowledge of the local aviation scene that you would have any contact details just to send a cv 2 weeks before I go to say that I'm coming. Even company names would be a start but chief pilot names and addresses would be ideal ;)
One other question you may be able to help me with is the conversion to a Tanzanian licence. What exactly is involved and roughly, how much is this likely to set me back? Oh and would it be worth my while getting 5 hours on a C206 before I head off?
Thanks in advance
Chris

helldog
6th Jun 2007, 11:51
Ok Chrisdick. I will give you the names of a couple of operators that you would have a good chance with.

In Mwanza, Auric Air they might take a low time guy on. 206,PA28

In Arusha, here you have Regional. They have Twotters and take low time fo. They are a good company. Also there is a new operator of B1900 there, dont know the name of the operation. Air Excel is one of my old jobs and they are really good also but your hours are a bit low, but I hear a Let could be on line soonish for an f/o slot.

Dar, Coastal may give you a shot, they sometimes take low time guys on the 206 and give you 50 hours or so P1US to get you going. Also a good company.

Zanzibar there is Zanair and Tropical. Give them a shot.

Ok I often say this here. SEnd your CV? Dont waste your time. These operators get loads of CVs and calls everyday from people that are 'on their way down' Maybe one in a thousand actually makes it down at all. There will always be a couple of guys that just did it and are known around the place, they will get the jobs. A lot of these operators will wait and wait then they will call and ask you to start the next day. Just get down there and show your face.

Your licence conversion will be done with the help of the operator you go to work for. You can start the ball rolling yourself and if you manage to get it done it will be great for you as you will be ready to start straight away. Use the money you save from NOT doing the 206 time before you go to do this. No need you will get trained up.

Take it easy.

Busher
17th Jun 2007, 04:58
Hello there,

I am in Malaysia and might have to leave soon because of immigration problems. I have got a full valid ICAO licence and a JAA not current any longer. 2000TT. Large experience of bush flying and remote spots. Steadily living close to Tanzania. (3hrs jet from Nairobi). Any chance in Zanzibar Dares?

helldog
18th Jun 2007, 10:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m63IryQi7fA

Here is what you have to look forward to, enjoy:D

Soap Box Cowboy
18th Jun 2007, 11:16
HAHA awesome Video :ok: