PDA

View Full Version : UK or Canada?

geordie77
2nd Jun 2007, 12:17
I am soon to embark on my PPL with the view to eventually becoming ATPL etc.
My question is, would it be easier to find airline work in the UK or Canada? Does anyone have experience of working/job hunting in both countries?

Residency isn't a problem as I have dual citizenship as my mother is Canadian.

Lee

v6g
2nd Jun 2007, 14:18
The job opportunities are much better in the UK where most pilots are employed in mass transport jet operations. In Canada most pilots are employed in low volume commuter / air taxi and the salaries reflect this.

Training is cheaper in Canada (and the cost can be duducted from your canadian tax if you're earning out here at the same time) but the cost of going from a full Canadian CPL+Mulit-IFR to a JAR fATPL will be about GBP12,000.

Captaingomes
2nd Jun 2007, 16:30
Hi V6G, I've searched for info on converting a Canadian CPL+IFR+multi etc etc and can't find anything too direct and concise. I've even emailed the school in Moncton and haven't received a response. Since you pintpointed the cost, can you provide me with any info on either the best way to proceed or where to get the best information on getting a JAA licence? I live in Canada but with a Portuguese passport I can work in Europe, so I'm looking at my options.
Geordie77, sorry to hijack your thread, but it helps bump it to the top and should also help you in getting info as well. Good luck!

v6g
2nd Jun 2007, 16:51
The process of converting a non-JAA ICAO license to a JAA license has been dicussed ad nauseum on here - see here for starters: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=231486

The basic process is as follows:
- JAA Class 1 medical
- JAA ATPL groundschool or distance learning
- Pass 14 ATPL exams
- JAA CPL flight test (can be done in Florida or Moncton I think)
- JAA IR flight test
- MCC

YYZ
2nd Jun 2007, 17:00
I would say the UK, much easier to get onto a jet here, Canada is tough.

YYZ

Captaingomes
2nd Jun 2007, 17:14
Thank you very much v6g, I know there is a huge amount of info on here, but that's part of the problem ... sifting through and determining what is useful or not.

Best Regards,

CG

smokin_rivet
2nd Jun 2007, 23:41
Hey there folks,

I have a Canadian ATPL and want to convert to JAA. I have 2 offers on the table... FE on B727 with laft seat in about a year..and left seat on a Beech 1900 in about 6-7 months. Which migt be the best route to the JAA and a eurojob?

PS Sorry to hijack the thread..

YYZ_Instructor
2nd Jun 2007, 23:48
B1900 of course! Is it Georgian?

FE time is worthless and won't get you far. PIC on 1900 is very useful as it is over 12,500lbs and is valuable unlike most of the small turbo-props being operated in northern Canada. Don't go to KFC or CargoJet, you will waste your time if the market starts on the down turn. PIC time is a gurantee of future employment, be it Canada or EU.

I'm in northern Ontario right now, leaving back to the UK for a sim ride.
This is my chance to get back there and flying again!

Good luck.

P.S.- Anyone looking for info on the conversion either way can PM me. Been there done that! I know how it is because I went over there blind!

geordie77
3rd Jun 2007, 00:12
I take it that the UK is 'the place to be' then?

Lee

Flaps 1 billion
11th Jun 2007, 02:19
FE at KFC or Cargojet isn't so bad right now as the movement is fast and uprades are moving along. Though you're right, if things slow down you aren't logging anything for however long. Now, some time in the right seat of a 27 should allow you to miss the TP carriers or lower paying carriers in the UK as you'll have time on a mid weight jet, better than a 1900.
The UK carriers aren't as concerned about as much 1900 pic time as you can get, just some good experience, so it appears. Take the job that you'll enjoy and grow at, GGN is a good place but pay cuts these days doesn't make sense, and yes, a freeze is a cut.