PDA

View Full Version : Ferry Flying/positioning question

expedite08
2nd Jun 2007, 08:21
Hi all,
I have an opportunity to do some ferry flying, positioning, dropping aircraft here and there and picking them up from maintenance etc. UK only
I was just wondering is this allowed under regulation to count as hour building towards the CPL, in other words to reach the 150 hours required to start the CPL.
Obviously I would not be getting paid for it, but would likely to be getting a reduced rate on the aircraft due to doing said organisation a favour.
Would appreciate some useful hints and whether the CAA are happy with this to count as hour building?
Many thanks in advance
Expedite :ok:

BlueRobin
2nd Jun 2007, 11:14
So long as you are

cleared considering differences (e.g. retract, tailwheel, etc) and class rating (SEP, MEP etc)
are insured
any flying rate charged will be on an aircraft that is legally available for hire

Then you can log P1.

potkettleblack
2nd Jun 2007, 12:12
Be very very careful that you don't contravene the ANO as you don't have a CPL. The fact that you would in effect get discounted flying in return for your services could mean that you are receiving valuable consideration or flying for reward or whatever term the CAA uses these days.

If in doubt you might be best to put down on paper your situation and get it cleared by the CAA ahead of time. Also you might get more detailed advice in the private flying forum?

Bladecrack
4th Jun 2007, 18:21
If in doubt you might be best to put down on paper your situation and get it cleared by the CAA ahead of time:eek:
Tell me you are not serious? How can you class someone PAYING (discounted or not) to ferry aircraft around as getting valuable consideration? :rolleyes:Hours building is hours building, dont see the problem?
BC

potkettleblack
4th Jun 2007, 20:03
There is a duplicate thread running in private flying where you can see the legalistic issues raised.