PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream landing w/o nosegear in LSZH

FlyMD
2nd Jun 2007, 04:39
according a swiss newspaper website, a Gulfstream jet landed yesterday evening in Zurich with a retracted nose-gear... all occupants unhurt..

Does anybody have details?

tks

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/dyn/news/zuerich/757407.html

Pretzel
2nd Jun 2007, 08:39
Hey...

I dont have details of the incident. But i was listening to ATC at the time.. the pilot just requested an emergency landing, then informed ATC that he wanted an extra time to dump fuel and prepare the pax. He kept his cool and things were sorted out within half and hour..

AltFlaps
2nd Jun 2007, 08:48
I seriuosly doubt that a Gufstream can dump fuel ...

AN2 Driver
2nd Jun 2007, 11:11
According to Swiss TV coverage it seems to be HB-IMJ, a 1997 G5, inbound to ZRH from Rotterdam. 4 Crew and 5 pax.

Avman
2nd Jun 2007, 14:11
informed ATC that he wanted an extra time to dump fuel and prepare the pax

Probably wanted extra time to burn off fuel.

Flintstone
2nd Jun 2007, 20:59
I seriuosly doubt that a Gufstream can dump fuel ...

Why do you say that?

Margarita
2nd Jun 2007, 21:47
Maybe because it can't...

Flintstone
2nd Jun 2007, 21:51
I have no idea whether it can or not. I was more interested in the "....seriously doubt..." part.

Margarita
2nd Jun 2007, 22:12
Don't worry, it can't.

Flintstone
2nd Jun 2007, 23:10
Worried? Me?

All that money and no fuel dump facility? Pffftt!

Gulfstreamaviator
3rd Jun 2007, 04:40
there are often two dump facilities, but a major problem getting the fuel into them.....the plumbing is non standard.

Flintstone
3rd Jun 2007, 10:32
Hmmm, now I'm curious. One says it can't, another says (theoretically) it can.

Joking aside I'd be surprised if it can't considering that a more 'lowly' aircraft like the CL604 can (to a point).

mutt
3rd Jun 2007, 12:24
Flintstone, FAR 25-1001 (?) Fuel Jettison System, states that an aircraft must be able to satisfy the approach climb, landing climb criteria within 15 minutes of takeoff. With or without a fuel jettison system.

If an aircraft can satisfy the requirements without the fuel jettison system, it wont be installed, e.g. B737.

In some cases the fuel jettison system becomes an airline selectable option, e.g A330.

So it reasonable to get two different answers that will actually be correct as they will apply to the same model of aircraft but different certification requirements or purchased options.

Mutt

chiaroscuro
3rd Jun 2007, 13:15
Period. none of the Gulfstream 4 and 5 series incl 450 550 can dump fuel. that is the straight answer to this questions.

but than.. there is no such thing as a overweight landing in a g5 or 550 its a heavy weight landing and the onboard accelometers will determine if you need a inspection or not in case you once have to land over max landing weight.

and it is probably a good idea to burn of that extra fuel if your nose wheel is not down........ anyway.. good job you've done there dude in ZRH. i am proud of you... the beer is on me ..

CH

flightlevelchange
4th Jun 2007, 18:28
A very good job done by the crew, glad everyone was safe.

A good job done by the captain proud of you.

FLEXJET
4th Jun 2007, 19:51
http://www.bfu.admin.ch/common/pdf/HB-IMJ

fokkerjet
5th Jun 2007, 15:47
No such thing as an overweight landing in a G500/G550? I don't think so. How about, if you don't trigger any exceedences with your overweight landing, you do not have to do an inspection.

From Gulfstream; "There are procedures in Quick Reference Handbook that permit a landing beyond the normal landing weight with no follow-on Overweight Landing Inspection required. The QRH Overweight Landing procedures notes that "The overweight landing inspection is not required if the recorded landing vertical acceleration is within limits." If the maximum vertical acceleration recorded during a G500/G550 landing is within the parameters of this chart and no extremely high side loads were experienced, it is considered a normal landing and no inspection is required, regardless of the aircraft's weight."

Tony Mabelis
6th Jun 2007, 08:30
Gulfstream V Maintenance mannual Chap.5-50-00 page 618.
I quote:-

Para. b

'An immediate check of grease marks on the shock struts should be made. If main gear shock struts closed to within 1/2 inch of maximum available travel and nose gear closed to within 1 inch of the available travel, then this is evidence that limit vertical loads have been exceeded'

Para c
'was it a two or three point landing? (Most landings are two point and there is no need to worry about nose gear unless there is evidence that it was actually involved)

The aircraft in question definitely did a two point landing and the nose gear clearly did its best to stay uninvolved!!!!!

StressFree
6th Jun 2007, 12:22
Fokkerjet,
Hows it going old buddy? Its been long time, still in the motor business?
We must catch up again soon, best regards.

:)

fokkerjet
6th Jun 2007, 15:00
Hi Stress.

The checks are still clearing at the bank! :}

Been some changes over the last 6 months; of course none of which were good. What's up with the BAE 146 in colors?

StressFree
7th Jun 2007, 07:16
Hi Fokkerjet,
Not sure about the horrible 146, I'm VERY glad to be right out of the whole mad place! Taking the cash was the best decision EVER............:}. :D

Ive mailed you but don't know if the addresses I have are current,
best regards.

:ok:

GULF69
13th Jun 2007, 06:37
If my memory serves me correct, IMJ is the G5 with the highers hours in the world (not that it is relevant to this topic) - over 10 000hrs

sharkfin
15th Jun 2007, 01:09
A GV weighs 90500 LBS MTOW with the Max Fuel being 41300 LBS.

So nearly half it's weight is fuel when fully stocked! Plus i'm affraid a burn off is needed unless your on fire!!!

Rightly stated that there is no over weight landing id the accel limits haven't been triggered. FYI MLW is 75300 LBS and a BOW is usually in the 48-49,000 LBS range.

(All weights are for both GV and G550!)

Safe flying!

Rgds