View Full Version : South African Airways

kiron
14th Apr 2001, 23:00
Hey there ppl......I was just lookin at the SAAPILOTS website , and something just struck me .....Their minimum requirements are rather low , regarding the recruitment of pilots from the General Aviation Sector .

" Applicants for pilot positions at South African Airways should preferably be:-
South African Citizen.
Have at least a South African Commercial Pilots Licence and Instrument Rating with 500 hours..
Be fluent in English. "

I mean this is abit weird , cause I mailed the HR guy at SA Airlink and he said that their minimum requirements are " 800hrs total time, 100 Twin time, 100 Turbine time and 100 multi crew time. "

SO how do u explain this ???

Does this mean (hypathetically speaking )...that if i do my training privately and get my CPL , INSTRUMENT RATING and then go on to get my instructors rating , in order to build up enough time (say 500 hrs).....would i be considered by SAA ????

------------------
Famous_G

skyvan
15th Apr 2001, 01:07
Kiron, just because the minimums are 500hrs, and a CPL/IFR, the chance of being even interviewed with that experience is highly unlikely.
My first interview was with 2200hrs, instructor rating, and about 1500hrs multi.
I was eventually employed with 4700hrs, ATP and Grade 2 Instructor. By then I had flown everything from Barons to Kingairs, Skyvans and Dash-7s.
On my intake, average experience was about 4200hrs, and only 4 out of 16 did not have ATP.
Obviously, if you are some kind of Chuck Yeager, or affirmative action attractive, then 500hrs is a possible starting point.
Having said that, the training is not geared towards the less experienced pilots, although some do make it.

4granted
15th Apr 2001, 01:35
Skyvan...did you do van(built in headwind) time in Mozambik by any chance?
Just wondering...I was there with a couple of Exec air guys for ONUMOZ, Nampula and Beira??
cheers
4g

skyvan
15th Apr 2001, 11:14
Hi 4g,
I was with Exec about that time, but I was flying mainly Kingairs by then (supposed to be a kind of promotion, I think), so didn't do the Moz or Kenya/Somalia stints.
The only time I took a van to Moz was to support a repair and recovery team getting a Kingair off one of the Paradise Islands, after the owner had broken off the nosewheel in sand, and trashed two PT6s in the process.
I was with Exec from Jan 89 to Jan 94.
Regards,
Skyvan.

4granted
15th Apr 2001, 19:40
Thanks Skyvan..
Yup cant say if i know you...I know Paddy Conld, Gary, Barry, Buddgie and cant remember some of the co-plts.
Paddys with you at Spoories i think...A320..or are they gone now...maybe 73800...
anyways
regards...
4g