PDA

View Full Version : Instructor Rating

garywoodrow
31st May 2007, 11:36
hey, im just wondering if it is possible to become an employable instructor without an IR, IMC and MCC. Cheers.

Gary.

Hookerbot 5000
31st May 2007, 11:44
From aeros.co.uk

http://www.aeros.co.uk/training/commercial/fic.html

In order to meet the pre-entry requirements of this course you must be in possession of a CPL or ATPL or have completed 150 hours Pilot In Command as the holder of a PPL with all CPL or ATPL ground exams completed.

200 hours flight time with at least 100 hours PIC (if holding a CPL) or 150 hours PIC (if holding a PPL).

Minimum of 10 hours instruction for instrument flying but have accrued no more than 5 hours in a ground-training device such as simulator.

Have met all of the CPL or ATPL knowledge requirements as listed by JAR FCL 1.470.

Minimum of 30 hours flight time on a SEP aircraft with a minimum of 5 hours in the 6 months up to the start of the course.

20 hours cross-country flight time as PIC including a flight of at least 300 nm (which must of included at least two full-stop landings at two aerodromes other than where you started).

+HB 5000

SD.
31st May 2007, 18:31
I think Garywoodrow is asking how employable would a FI being VFR only. :ok:

Personally I think it's a joke that you can be a FI without the IR, but thats the CAA/JAA for you :ugh:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
31st May 2007, 18:44
Why is it a joke? You are not teaching students to be instrument pilots, you are teaching students how to fly using visual references.

EpsilonVaz
31st May 2007, 18:49
Two of the instructors at my FTO don't have IR. They plan to do it while they are instructing here.

EpsilonVaz

SD.
31st May 2007, 18:52
Ok, maybe I was a tad harsh describing it as a "joke".

Many a time whilst instructing in the states, I was able to file IFR, out to known VFR conditions. Conduct the lesson and then pick up an IFR back in. How many lessons have been canceled in the UK where an instrument rated FI could of got them out and back again?

Few times I got caught out by the haze and had to go back home on the localizer, would I be able to do that safely without an IR?

I believe it makes you a far more useful instructor to both your employer and the customer. :ok:

Han 1st Solo
31st May 2007, 22:08
No IR not a problem what so ever, in fact as you are not in a position to run straight off to an airline job, many flying schools will look at not having an IR as a positive thing as you are likely to stick around for a while.

If teaching in a single and the weather is bad enough to warrant flying IFR in IMC then one would have question the wisdom of doing so with the possibility of an engine failure in mind.

regards,

Han.

garywoodrow
1st Jun 2007, 01:01
thanks for the very helpful replies, much appreciated. I think i will try instructing first, no need to rush into an airline job anyway, still young :ok:.

I calculated im looking at £27k for instructors rating with everything but IR. Cuts alot off the original £40k i was looking at for an airline job :). I will just have to convince the bank now that im worth giving £20k to :bored:.

BolkowJunior
1st Jun 2007, 10:34
Hi a small club that I belong to is looking for a part-time instructor to use three pa28s sitting on the ground at a really nice airfield in sunny Shropshire. Anybody interested?

garywoodrow
1st Jun 2007, 16:16
Just another question, what kind of money would i be on roughly being an instructor, im planning to take a £20k loan after my PPL and ATPL exams to finish training. Would just like to know if it would be possible to pay off a loan at roughly £350 per month. :eek:

:ok:

Gary

potkettleblack
1st Jun 2007, 20:17
Have heard the figure of £10-12k pa gross before tax thrown around a lot here. Best ask in the instructors forum.