PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Hour Professional Pilot Program

Hermes85
31st May 2007, 05:04
This is a program to be pilot from zero and you it's offered by Orlando Flight Training. Does it worth? It costs about 34000 $ ant it's FAA and includes:

Training Phase I (12 Months) – From zero time to flight instructor, our program will put you on the path to becoming a professional airline pilot.
Flight Instructor Phase II (12 Months)– You are now ready to build up to 1000 total flight hours with over 100 multi engine as an Orlando Flight Training Flight Instructor. Once employed, you will have the option to obtain your CFII and MEI at a reduced employee rate.

If somebody has made this training please tell me if it does worth. I'm absolutely interested in.:) Thank you.

Hookerbot 5000
31st May 2007, 06:39
Check out this thread m8:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212516

+HB 5000

Hermes85
31st May 2007, 07:15
I've read that thread and it doesn't help me! I want to know if somebody has made that program exactly.

FlyingForFun
31st May 2007, 19:21
I've got no knowledge of that exact program, but here are my thoughts, in general terms, on what you've described.

There is currently a big instructor shortage in most parts of the world. There are several schools out there which, if you turn up at the door with a FI rating, will ask you when you can start.

What you describe basically comes under the category of "working for free".

I reckon that you ought to get at least £12/hour as a flying instructor, probably more than that. So, if you're talking about building 1000 hours, then they "owe" you £12,000.

So, if the price of the course is £12,000 less than you could get the same set of courses elsewhere (including FIC), go for it. If it's not, do the same courses somewhere else, including the FIC, then find work as an instructor. You'll get the same 1000 hours, but be less out of pocket because of the salary you'd earn as an instructor.

FFF
-------------

captain_rossco
31st May 2007, 21:43
Okay so you pay them $34,000 for an instructor rating and they dont pay you to teach.

I'd sooner get my instructor rating for a fifth of that and get paid to build my hours.

FlyingForFun
1st Jun 2007, 20:22
Capt Rossco,

I'm a little cynical about these schemes generally, and I'm not sure that this one is the fantastic deal it's made out to be.... but $34,000 for an instructor rating? I don't think it's quite that bad?

Hermes described it as "a program to be pilot from zero", so I am assuming that it includes PPL, hour-building, ground-school, CPL, and probably IR, as well as the instructor rating? But Hermes' details are a little sketchy, so maybe you're right?

FFF
--------------

weis
1st Jun 2007, 21:40
I'd look into that a little more as typically instructors in the US earn $10-15 per hour for flying lessons, and $0 to $10 for ground school. Ofcourse depending on the number of students you have that could work out fine but in most cases you end up with just about enough money to live if at all. Also bear in mind, you will have to convert your IR to JAA back in Europe (assuming your ultimate goal is JAA fATPL)

davey147
1st Jun 2007, 21:45
Also this program isnt for international students, uless you hold a greencard, you cannot instruct at OFT legaly.

OFT do not have the ability to sponsor for the J1 visa either.

GroskinTheFlyer
1st Jun 2007, 22:20
OFT does not give the J1 visa which will enable you to instruct. If OFT is trying to sell the program to you as a foreigner, Make sure they produce the J1 for you, otherwise you are on your own matey:confused:

NH2390
1st Jun 2007, 23:52
I don't know of any JAA school which does have the ability to offer the visa. Although there is at least one that uses another school to issue it illegally.