PDA

View Full Version : EK Command hoop jumping

Capt.CenterLink
31st May 2007, 04:00
Could any one please tell me how the Command selection process works in Emirates?

Is there a command assessment sim , interview or process that one must jump through in order to be allocated a command slot? Could some one please give me a detailed overview of how the system works. I understand that it’s fleet specific and direct entry’s can affect the duration , but when your number finally comes up what process must you go through to start a command course.

I have been in CX for 5 years and although they are a good company to work for their training system is over the top, with endless sims, checks, courses and assessments.

Completely over the top in comparison to most company’s.

Cheers Centerlink!

BIKKERDENNAH
31st May 2007, 04:39
STARTS from day 1 of joining.

Looking at your 5 sims before your three years. One every six months. Must show consistency and receive predominantly 4/5 which is good. However minor bumps and a couple of 3/5 they may take a closer look at you and see how you go on your last check before putting you forward for a command course. If they think a little more developement is needed they can put you in what is called a pilot developement course maybe a couple of sims and ground school to improve flightdeck manangement.

If you are deemed suitable for command. Stage 1 is the psyche testing , then technical quiz and an interview which is Flight operations and LOFT orientated.

If successful you are selected for a command course.

1 week of groundschool.

3 sim sessions basic handling from LHS.

Then PPC check LHS

ZFT circuits and LVO sim session.

Then 1 of three LOFT excersises which are for training but are also assessed. You then go and do four to 6 sectors line training. Then LOFT 2 followed by more line training then LOFT 3 the complexity of each LOFT progresses.

At the end of LOFT 3 you then do a whole load more line flying up to normally 16 sectors. Then you do your LOFT CHECK. Like the PPC it is a pass or fail item!!

After the LOFT check you are then scheduled for a PRE LINE CHECK again pass or fail. Followed by a few days later you FINAL LHS LINE CHECK. process from first sim session 2 to 3 months!!

Then go for beers.:ok:

johnnyramjet
31st May 2007, 11:29
Thylakoid, you got that right, "like in the old days", however they did teach us how to de-ice and cross the Atlantic.
Capt.CL, all joking aside, I think most will agree thing are getting better in the training dept. at EK. We have some really good instructors that want to teach and as we get more new blood from all over the world EK will move towards a 21st century type training enviorment.

411A
31st May 2007, 15:47
Upgrade assessment is not all that difficult, but it does seem to me that the process EK apparently uses, is, to put it quite frankly, well overdone.

In days gone by, another middle east airline, the largest at the time, had a much simpler procedure.
The First Officer concerned was assessed by three Captains, two line Captains, and one training Captain, for a month of line flying, with each.
Notes from these three Captains were compared by the respective fleet manager, and the concerned First Officer assigned to the training department to begin upgrade training.
Very straightforward, and concise.
I cannot recall but one who did not successfully pass the assessment/upgrade program, so it would seem to me that the program that I have outlined, was free from the bias that many times creeps into these programs, from a select few, who are, taken together, a large impediment to many First Officers, during the assessment process.

IE: too many cooks spoil the broth.

Advancing to Command is certainly a desirable outcome for most First Officers, but there is positively no reason to make the process into an Apollo moon mission.
In short, give the guy a break, and let him get on with the job.

Nearjet
1st Jun 2007, 01:10
Gee 411a, that medication your are on at the moment seems to be working wonders.

411A
1st Jun 2007, 02:55
Could be, Nearjet, but the prescription is about to expire, and then it's back to my normal......ah, oh, never mind.:}

However, the upgrade assessment process is not all that difficult, or at least it doesn't especially need to be...except of course in companies which, over the years, have little 'centres of power' established, where most folks in same have far outlived their usefullness.

Flush these folks down the drain, and it generally works far better.