PDA

View Full Version : How long to command in Emirates and Etihad

Khaosai
31st May 2007, 02:38
Hi,
Based on a start date of Nov 07, does anybody have an approximate time to achieve a command in EK/EY, subject to ticking all of the required boxes.

My friend would be joining with approx 3000 hrs jet, made up of 737/320, and with a total time of 5000 hrs. No command experience.

Appreciate any help on offer to ensure a correct decision is made.

Rgds.

atiuta
31st May 2007, 03:44
Nobody could answer that question with any degree of accuracy. Big guess but here goes.

If EK have 1800 pilots at the end of 2007, pilot 1801 would probably need to see about 3200 for his/her command. That's 1400 pilots to hire, or about 4-5 years at 300 pa. Consistent deliveries until 2012 should see those numbers work out.

southflyer
31st May 2007, 04:16
funny math......

there are guys with seniority in the 700s still on the right seat on a list of 1800... hmmm, very funny math, indeed....

fatbus
31st May 2007, 08:47
AB fo's are at 4 years as we speak,B 3 years, you should see the AB come back to @ 3.5 and the same on the B as there will be a steady stream of AB capt's going to the B to keep both AB and B intake constant.My guess is you will see more AB fo's doing the gooffy B upgrade thing( 6 months in the RHS ), dont see that changing any time soon.

Vorsicht
31st May 2007, 10:23
Historically, we have had more captains than F/O's due to management duties, training etc. But as we do more long haul, which requires 2 F/O's to one captain on some flights as well as F/O's taking up some training duties i would expect that the balance will alter to being more F/O's than Captains. So i suspect 3200 is an optimistic number. I would work on at least 3600 pilots before a guy joining now would have a command. So work it out for yourself.

1800 pilots at say 400 a year (which i think is optimistic as well) it's going to be 4.5 years.

Having said that. Depending on whether they choose the 350 or 787, Boeing deliveries may well stop when the current order of 200 and 300ULR's is complete. I think that is in about 2 or 3 years. So if you are in the right seat of a Boeing if and when that happens you will be sitting around twiddling your thumbs waiting for the next big order before you will get your command.

Be very clear about the fact that seniority means nothing when it comes to command at EK. In fact seniority doesn't seem to have any real significance at all except for staff travel.

V

Khaosai
2nd Jun 2007, 13:56
Thanks for the replies.

Anybody in Etihad care to comment on time to command please.

Rgds.

sidestick driver
2nd Jun 2007, 14:54
The guys in Etihad on upgrade now, were employed 20-22 months ago. For someone who joins tomorrow, nothing less than 3-4 years.
That's an opinion and open to correction!

Watchdog
3rd Jun 2007, 04:00
Don't forget attrition there fellas....for the various reasons such as retirement, other jobs and go-home-itis. :ok: