hoodie
30th May 2007, 19:14
Fingers crossed.

BootFlap
30th May 2007, 19:20
Likewise. Here's hoping for the best.

HEDP
30th May 2007, 19:21
KABUL (Reuters) - A NATO helicopter went down in southern Afghanistan on Wednesday, a spokesman for the International Security Assistance Force said.

The Chinook military helicopter went down in southern Afghanistan, a NATO official in Brussels said, but he had no word on casualties.

"I can confirm that," the NATO official said when asked about reports of a crash. "There are few details. It's a Chinook and it was in the south."

"We don't know about casualties but there were people on board when it went down," said ISAF spokesman Major John Thomas in Kabul.

Reuters Pictures

hoodie
30th May 2007, 19:21
Story page here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/6706253.stm).

The Helpful Stacker
30th May 2007, 19:31
Fingers crossed it not one of ours, but my thoughts go out to whoever it may be.

Hopefully any information either way will be released as soon as possible so that speculation is kept to a minimum. Morale at Odiham is low enough as it is.

cooheed
30th May 2007, 20:30
THS, we were all on the same side last time I looked. Best wishes to all involved, hope they are all ok.

The Helpful Stacker
30th May 2007, 20:32
When I say "one of ours" I mean one from the unit I'm based at.

nice castle
30th May 2007, 21:04
American I heard.
Poor souls.
Thoughts to the families.

MReyn24050
30th May 2007, 21:14
nice castle:- American I heard.
Poor souls.
Thoughts to the families.
USA Today seems to confirm that.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-05-30-nato-afghanistan_N.htm
RIP and condolences to their families.

Spikey T
30th May 2007, 21:19
Thoughts as always to the families and the anguish that befalls all

Spike

devonianflyer
30th May 2007, 21:27
Sky reports (http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1268207,00.html) here suggest US.

Thoughts and condolences to all those involved.

DF

barnstormer1968
30th May 2007, 21:37
Although I feel that your post #5 was well meant, I wish you had chosen your words more carefully. while none of us would wish any of our personal friends to be involved. Neither should we wish any one else's loved ones or friends to be involved.
As I recall, you were a soldier in a previous job (if I am incorrect, then I apologise), If so, then you will realise as I do, that the safest place to be, is on your own, close to the ground, making a tiny target.
On this basis, I have nothing but the highest respect to ANY aircrew flying around in very large, and slow helicopters, and presenting a very large target.
Do not take this as a personal attack on yourself, but please understand how your words may have come across. Would you please join me in wishing that the outcome of this crash, is as good as it can be. And offer our joint best thought's and wishes to all of the aircrew, possible passenger's, and families involved, regardless of which country the aircraft belongs to.

God bless to all involved. I am left feeling not a little humble by the immense moral fibre demonstrated on a daily basis by NATO forces.

Barnstormer1968

BootFlap
30th May 2007, 21:43
offer our joint best thought's and wishes to all of the aircrew, possible passenger's, and families involved, regardless of which country the aircraft belongs to.
I'm with you BarnStormer
(Edited to clarify that I just want to wish all well, not criticise anyone)

The Helpful Stacker
30th May 2007, 21:47
I'm sorry but the posts of some posters subsequent to my original one have belittled this thread over what is no more than a grammatical mistake.

Of course I wish no ill on anyone serving against our enemies where ever they are in the world but having a good friend who is a loadmaster on Chinnies currently in Afghanistan my mind was a little bit more concerned about him than correct grammar when I posted.

Always a Sapper
30th May 2007, 21:50
Thoughts with Crew and Passengers... Fingers crossed for as good an outcome as possible

Seldomfitforpurpose
30th May 2007, 21:53
Guys THS works at Odiham, he will know lots of folks out there and I for one know exactly what he meant so please cut him some slack as the inferance that some of you are making is quite simply very very wrong.

Thoughts are with the families and friends of those who perished in yet another tragic loss.

tablet_eraser
30th May 2007, 21:58
I have friends on Chinooks at Odiham as well; I know where THS is coming from. Obviously it's a terrible tragedy that any of our comrades in arms have died in battle, but that tragedy is felt all the more acutely by those who know who is involved. Hoping against hope that my friends weren't on the Chinook does not mean I mourn any less for those who I don't know. Maybe THS put it a little clumsily, by his own admission, but I don't think it's fair to shout him down for a perfectly normal reaction to bad news.

My condolences to the families. Friends or not, they're in my prayers.

BootFlap
30th May 2007, 22:03
THS, understood. Similar boat but with US mates. Hope this turns out well for us all.
Tablet-Eraser, SFFP, good drills, looking after a mate is good to see.
BF

cooheed
30th May 2007, 22:06
US Chinook is being reported. RIP lads

olmaka
30th May 2007, 22:08
I know exactly where Helpful Stacker is coming from. Unless you have family or friends out there it is very difficult perhaps to understand the feelings you go through when you hear the news reports of poor souls lost. Our son is a Chinook pilot out in Afghanistan at the moment, the last hour, since we first heard the news reports have been very difficult. I think THS words have been taken totally out of context.
God bless to those involved, thoughts with the family and friends.

Never Alert
30th May 2007, 22:22
Barnstormer & cooheed,

you're being a tad harsh.

THS,

I have good mates at Odiham and my first thoughts were about them, perfectly natural reaction.

My heart goes out to the familes of those involved, terrible news.

Per ardua.

cooheed
30th May 2007, 22:33
I never meant to be harsh. Apologies if I came across that way. I do know how friends and families feel in times of trouble. Respects to all.

mutleyfour
31st May 2007, 02:38
Such sad news, Always a shock! Sincerest condolences from M4 and family.

teeteringhead
31st May 2007, 05:38
Condolences, thoughts and prayers to whoever has suffered and to their loved ones.

We're all in the same boat; but rightly or wrongly we always think first of those closest to us. I always think at times like this of a few paragraphs from "Catch 22", where the Padre sees a bomber crash and immediately - instinctively - hopes and prays it's not anyone he knows.

He then quickly realises that in doing so he's hoping (praying?) for the deaths of people he doesn't know - and is mortified at what he's done .....

..... if Padres - even fictional ones - have this instinct, I think we can forgive THS.

Too full already is the grave
Of fellows who were good and brave
And died because they were.....

RIP boys - whoever you are...

cornish-stormrider
31st May 2007, 07:33
Thoughts and prayers, as always. You guys and girls out there doing your jobs will probably never know how much it means to some of us having you between us and the line. YOU ARE ALL APPRECIATED VERY VERY MUCH. Your sacrifices will ALWAYS be remembered. The wife and I pray daily you can all come home soon as, and uninjured.

To the fallen RIP, and I shall hoist a drink in memory as well.

airborne_artist
31st May 2007, 08:42
The BBC this morning were quoting a news agency report that suggested the aircraft was US operated, with seven POB, including a Brit and a Canadian.

All very sad.

barnstormer1968
31st May 2007, 17:01
I Was not trying to attack the helpful stacker in my above post. In fact I am sure his motives and emotions were totally honourable. It was only his words that troubled me, a matter which he has totally cleared up in his later post.
My intention was purely to offer him the chance to offer support to whomever was involved.
If anyone was offended by my post, I am sorry.

Barnstormer1968

November4
31st May 2007, 19:03
MoD Website (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/BritishSoldierKilledInAfghanistanOnWednesday30May2007.htm) reporting that there was 1 British casualty an RMP.

British soldier killed in Afghanistan on Wednesday 30 May 2007

It is with much sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a British soldier from the Royal Military Police was amongst the seven ISAF soldiers killed on Wednesday 30 May 2007. The Chinook helicopter that they were travelling in went down near Kajaki in Helmand Province, southern Afghanistan at approximately 9pm local time.

The cause of the crash is subject to an investigation.

Next of kin have been informed and have requested a period of grace before further details are released.

Thoughts with the families of all those killed.

AHQHI656SQN
31st May 2007, 19:15
My most sincere condolences go out to the family and friends of everyone involved in this tragic incident.

Rest in Peace.

Tigs2
1st Jun 2007, 12:01
I am in Oman at the moment. I have just heard on BBC world that one soldier was killed. My sincere condolences to his family. I hope everone else makes a speedy recovery.

THS chin up mate! I am a long time ex 'tenant' of Odiham, i thought the same as you, the other guys who commented thought differently but have clarified their stance (and thanks to both of you for that!)

Regie Mental
1st Jun 2007, 15:08
From MOD website. Sympathy to the family, friends and colleague of all those lost in this incident:

It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the death of Corporal Mike Gilyeat, from the Royal Military Police, in Afghanistan on Wednesday 30 May 2007.

Cpl Gilyeat died when the American Chinook helicopter he was travelling in crashed in the Kajaki area of northern Helmand. Cpl Gilyeat, 28, known as 'Gilly', was a photographer attached to the Media Operations team based at Regional Command (South) in Kandahar.

Cpl Gilyeat was on the aircraft to film the insertion of American troops as part of a wider piece he was producing on a major alliance operation around Kajaki. He died alongside his Canadian colleague, Master Corporal Darrell Priede, aged 30.

Corporal Mike Gilyeat

Born in Hanover, Germany, Cpl Mike Gilyeat followed his father into the Army in August 2002. He had previously served in Iraq (on Op TELIC 6) and had more recently been based in Lisburn, Northern Ireland. He volunteered to deploy to Afghanistan, motivated by a desire to make a difference, and to diversify into news photography.

Lieutenant Colonel Mike Smith, his commanding officer in Regional Command (South), said:

"Cpl Gilyeat was a gifted and enthusiastic member of the team who had made a real difference in the time he had been in theatre. He was an eternally cheerful character who was always quick to lend a hand wherever it was needed and did so without complaint.

"Despite being an experienced and proud Military Policeman he was thriving in his first employment as a news photographer. He showed great flare and promise and had already produced several powerful images."

"In the six weeks he had been in theatre, he had struck up a close friendship with his fellow photographer Master Corporal Priede, with whom he enjoyed a constant stream of banter, usually centred on their friendly competitiveness over pictures.

"Cpl Gilyeat was a gifted and enthusiastic member of the team who had made a real difference in the time he had been in theatre."

Lieutenant Colonel Mike Smith
"The tragic loss of both of them is something which has been keenly felt by everyone in our team; we miss their infectious enthusiasm, consummate professionalism and unwavering good humour. Our thoughts are with their families and friends."

Defence Secretary, Des Browne, said:

"It was with great sadness that I learnt of the death of Corporal Gilyeat alongside 1 Canadian and 5 US soldiers in Afghanistan. He was a talented, dedicated soldier and photographer, and his spirit will be greatly missed amongst those who knew him. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of all those who died."

The family of Corporal Gilyeat request that the media respect their privacy at this difficult time.

wokkameister
2nd Jun 2007, 11:59
Just finished a 'two week' course at HMP St Cornwall. Condolences to all involved, both families and friends. RIP Guys.

THS - I know exactly what you meant and no clarification should of been needed!

WM