PDA

View Full Version : Building hours

youngun
30th May 2007, 17:58
Hi everyone.

got two questions

I need some advice on how to build hours. I have a frozen ATP and just over 300 hours and i am currently studying for my instructors. I realy don't want to do instruction, was wondering if there might be an alternative way (thinking of flying C210's in Namibië).

Will a frozen ATP be enough to help me get a decent job, or will I have to better qualify myself? (accept for more hours or a multi engine rating)

any feedback would be much appreciated.:)

Icarus208
30th May 2007, 18:34
Hey

Doing your instructors is definately one option. It will surely help you in the future. My suggestion is get your instructors for the time being and when there is work for you in Namibia on a C210 then take that oppurtunity. Or if you want to go to Botswana then that is also an option.

Just remember that Botswana is quite tough to get in and you need to spend a long time in Maun backpacking and eating baked beans and tuna out of a can before you actually get paid..that is if you can find a job quite easily. Dont get me wrong, Bots flying is great but initially you need a big wallet to support yourself before getting the actual moola.

Namibia is also a great place to fly and you get so much hours in a very short time...that is if you work for the right company. There are many operators that can offer you the job. If you fax youre CV through once dont think that is it. Fax it through every month cause lots of those operators put your CV on file 101 aka bottom of drawer or Bin. Ive seen it first hand. Perserverance will bear fruit eventually.

Get yourself a C210 and if possible a Turbo 210 if there is one you can get for hire and fly. But if you cant dont worry, most operators will help you help once you get there. Fax your CV through and go pay them a visit soon after, that always help. They will see that you take some interest in flying in Nam and not just anoter CV that comes through.

As for a frozen ATP, thats great to have but operators dont look at you differently than somebody who doesnt have it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

oerlikon
30th May 2007, 19:17
Icarus208 has given you some good advice, the best being to go and see the companies you apply to. Sometimes being in the right place at the right time will get you the job, it just means hanging around in the right place long enough.

At your stage hours are probably more important than the frozen ATP.

You say you don't want to do instruction, that's understandable, but it will help you to get those hours up relatively quickly.

Just remember one thing, you may face a hard task right now, but the end result will be worth it, so start plugging away.

Also, don't turn down anything that will get you hours (except of course if its a dodgy operation) at the end of the day 500hrs in a 172 may not seem as worthwhile as 500hrs in a 206, but they are 500 hrs in your logbook.

Good Luck.:ok:

youngun
31st May 2007, 18:13
Thanx for the quick reply guys, I've got a better idea on what to do now.
will keep you posted.

Thank you for your intrerest. :)

SpootNICK
1st Jun 2007, 09:57
I dunno chaps,

I am not sure that doing your instructors rating is such a good idea if you dont have the passion or ability to give instruction. Granted, many guys have gone down this route and made a success from it. However, I feel that the ab initio instruction is probably better if left to the guys who actually enjoy doing it. I recollect doing my spin training with a guy who not only hated giving instruction (he voiced his opinion), but was also a nervous wreck (sh*t scared) when it came to spinning. :uhoh::yuk:

My two cents worth.

SN

oerlikon
1st Jun 2007, 22:08
You have an extremely valid point (which will digress a bit from youngun's thread, I fear).

Most instructors these days are only doing it to build hours. They don't care about the students they instruct as long as it adds hours to their personal logbooks.

I agree with you that instructors should have a desire to teach and hopefully a background of experience to back it up.

But I do have to say, right now, in this silly institution we are involved in, for any newly qualified pilot, get the hours in the logbook, because that's ALL companies and insurance companies are interested in.

youngun
2nd Jun 2007, 07:33
thank you for your honesty spootnick, what is your apinion on what I should do to build hours?