PDA

View Full Version : watering eyes

the dean
30th May 2007, 14:43
my dad who has always been a keen pilot is 85 and suffers from the fact that periodically ( and i cannot recall if temperature has anything to do with it...in otherwords coming in or going out..) finds that he has to stop and wipe his eyes to prevent water building up on his glasses and affecting his forward vision.

is that a symptom of age or ( i recall someone else having ) blocked ducts...

he also suffers from floaters but was told thats dust of the years...

any ideas particurly on the excess water appreciated..

any point in him seeing a doctor or opthalmologist..??:confused:

the dean.

Loose rivets
1st Jun 2007, 04:21
He's lucky! It's a darn sight better than having @#$% dry eye syndrome.

Yes, it's worth seeing a doctor, but you could take a good look at his drain ducts with a watchmaker's loop or some such. Debris in this little hole can often be lifted out much in the same way that old folk remedy styes.

I don't know if an eye surgeon would probe someone of that age, but they do clear this duct with some children.

the dean
1st Jun 2007, 15:52
thanks loose...i'm sure you are right. strange thing is i googled it after i posted and was surprised to find it can also happen becuse of dry eyes...like trying to put out a fire.

he went to the doc yesterday and he is putting him on antiobiotic drops to see if that will clear it before referring him further but i take your point about his age and i think he would think twice ( if he had to get it done ) before doing the procedure and decide if it was bad enough to warrant it. certainly he is annoyed at times when it happens.

thanks again for your input.:ok:

dean.

gingernut
2nd Jun 2007, 19:09
Are his eye's dry dean,or are they watering too much:)

How long has he been suffering?

Rosie Jane
5th Jun 2007, 13:37
This is a possible answer for Loose Rivets, when I went for my class 1 medical a while back I was given some great information about dry eyes. For many years I have had constant dry eye problems, in the morning I would wake up and take ages for my eyes to focus, in addition during the day I was having to use eys drops to lubricant the eyes
The eye doctor at the CAA performed a miracle, she said that my eyes were producing to much 'healthly bacteria' which was making my eyes clog up'
I was told to was my eyes daily (with eyes closed) with Johnsons baby shampoo. 3 months later, my eyes are cristal clear, no eye drops and no dry eyes. It worked for me, but speak to your own doctor or even the CAA before trying it, as I suspect people will be different.

Good luck

Rosie

One life .... Live it

the dean
5th Jun 2007, 14:06
gingernut..less than a year..watering not dry...

doc put him on drops twice a day . he feels the condition a little better but it is early days..

rosie thanks for that. i suspect his condition not dry eyes but you never know. did read that strangly the watering can be caused by dry eyes.he might try what you say.

thanks again.

dean.

gingernut
5th Jun 2007, 14:40
There are two likely culprits, either an excess of tear production, or a problem with the drainage mechanism.

Both are usually quite simple to sort out, and I reckon if it's interferring with his flying, then it's worth pursuing an ophthalmological referral.

It's unlikely yhe a/b drops will make much difference, but it was a reasonable first try.:)

the dean
5th Jun 2007, 15:04
thanks again gingernut.

i suspect you are right..he only flies with me nowadays and so i have no worry about that.

the question might arise whether it is worth at his age clearing the ducts.

i knew a guy years ago who got it done but he was much younger...and i thought i got the impression it was not too pleasant but i have googled it and it does not seem too bad but then noadays minor procedures ( if thats how one would describe it ) have been made so much easier in day hospitals.

anyone any info on the procedure ..??from a comfort / discomfort point of view.. for an 85 year old..??