PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations!!!!

HeliEng
17th May 2001, 20:13
Congratulations, another triumphant achievment for aviation and woman-kind!!!

WOMAN BREAKS SOLO FLIGHT RECORD
A former music teacher set a new record when she became the first woman to fly solo round the world via Australia and the Pacific in the smallest aircraft.

Polly Vacher, 57, touched down in the single-engined Piper Dakota at Birmingham International Airport after an epic 29,000-mile four-month journey.

The mother-of-three, from Oxon, said it was great to be back on home soil.

StressFree
17th May 2001, 23:12
I agree congratulations are in order, top achievement.

:)

------------------
'Keep the Stress Down'

Flyswift
17th May 2001, 23:35
I bet that 'carb-heat' lever is worn out !

Well Done !

Chimbu chuckles
18th May 2001, 12:58
So,
What did she do that Gabby Kennard didn't do in a Piper Dakota in 1989?

Chuck.

MissChief
18th May 2001, 21:06
Excuse me, but what's the big deal for woman-kind? Getting a bit fed up of these sexist remarks made in these threads.

StressFree
19th May 2001, 23:07
MissChief,
Sad, so very sad....................

:rolleyes:

------------------
'Keep the Stress Down'

Red Spitfire Driver
21st May 2001, 00:32
Congratulations to Polly.
But for the record ....

First woman to complete a solo flight around the world.
Jerrie Mock. Landed Columbus, Ohio 17 April 1964. 29 Days in a Cessna 180. 'Spirit of Columbus'

Second woman to complete a round the world flight.
Joan Merriam. (USA). Flight completed 12 May 1964. Piper Apache. 56 Days following route planned by Amelia Earhart.

First British Woman to complete the round the world flight. Shiela Scott. Landed London Heathrow 20 June 1966. Piper Comanche 260B. G-ATOY 'Myth Too'. 33days 3mins.

JoeCo
21st May 2001, 09:02
These record are probably all route specific. Seeing as how she did it via Australia, that's probably a record for that specific route.

As for the sexist remark.........what sexist remark???????? You know what I'm tired of, chicks like Miss Chief making stupid comments because someone phrased it as women-kind instead of man-kind. The thing is, you'd probably get all bent out of shape if it was phrased man-kind when it was a women at the helm!!!!

You ever here what WIFE stood for........ know THAT'S a sexist remark!!!!