View Full Version : Flight Training Adelaide

skywagon
30th May 2007, 10:32
Giidday all PPRUNERS!

Wondering if any one has the gen on flight training Adelaide? Ive an interview with them in a couple of weeks and was wondering about salary codx etc for an experienced grade2

Many Thanks All!

Got the horn
31st May 2007, 02:59
Me too please!

Wing Flex
31st May 2007, 06:15
For an experienced Grade II, pay is low to mid 40's. Depends whether you have an instrument training or multi training approval.

Aircraft are very well maintained, generally really good training facilities.
Cadets are reasonably good to teach (depending which course) plus you can get good contacts into some of the major airlines.

A great stepping stone....

brown_hornet
1st Jun 2007, 06:24
Pretty accurate info from Wing Flex re salary, and certainly for an instructing job I dare say it is one of the better places to work in Oz given the facilities available to staff. Just be aware that they want their service from you (3 years if I recall....unofficially) and as far as the Airline contacts go, you do have the opportunity to get your name known but don't believe everything that management says in regards to "helping" you get that interview......it's still every man for himself in that area.

glekichi
1st Jun 2007, 07:41
Looks like FTA are coming to NZ looking for instructors too. They are either desperate or incredibly committed to preparing for a pilot shortage!
Does anybody know approximately how long it would take to move onto the multi engine stuff for a grade 3 with 100hrs instructing? Would the 50PIC requirement be completely self sponsored for instructors that dont have it, or do they help you out in that respect?

Wing Flex
1st Jun 2007, 08:31
They are either desperate or incredibly committed to preparing for a pilot shortage!

Unfortunately with hiring instructors, upper management have never been pro-active, always re-active. :ugh: They have been hit heavily over the last year with many instructors moving on to bigger and better flying jobs. Therefore they are desperate.

Does anybody know approximately how long it would take to move onto the multi engine stuff for a grade 3 with 100hrs instructing?

Old times: As a Grade II, it would take 9-12 months before upgrading to instrument training approval then another 12 months before upgrading to multi-training approval.
Now a days: Not sure how long it will take these days. I have heard of some Grade II's being upgraded within one year but as mentioned earlier, re-active rather than pro-active. Management learnt the hard way that it is better to have many qualified multi-instructors rather than just a couple. (the more instructors there are, the longer it will take to build up the magical multi-hours)

Would the 50PIC requirement be completely self sponsored for instructors that dont have it, or do they help you out in that respect?
Management have offered free flight hours from time to time (ferries) but only a couple of hours. You must bare the expense. :(

Hope this helps

Got the horn
1st Jun 2007, 08:48
Got an email from them today. They're going all over NZ starting in AA Thursday week. They seem very keen from the couple of conversations I've had with them so far.

glekichi
1st Jun 2007, 09:49
Thanks Wing Flex... Im in a pretty comfortable job (for a 1st GA gig) at the moment with very good chance of moving onto charters in a PA34 early next year.... Being from Adelaide, the thought of moving home was giving me irrational thoughts, but I think Ill stick it out in the land of the long white fog for a couple more years :}

404 Titan
1st Jun 2007, 12:59
An Aussie that has moved to Kiwi Land. What is happening to the world?:oh::E:eek::ouch:

flying-spike
1st Jun 2007, 21:55
Check their website, you might find yourself in Maryborough, Qld next year.....take your own banjo!

glekichi
1st Jun 2007, 23:46
Titan,

The parents are Kiwis: It was originally an intricate plan to infiltrate Australia's ranks using offspring whose accint was a little harder to ditict.
Growing up in South Australia playing rugby was a dead give away though:}

glekichi
10th Sep 2007, 11:09
Can anybody comment on the truth/lack thereof in regards to FTA customers (i.e. Cathay) taking on instructors from FTA without turbine time?

It kind of sounds like recruiting drive propaganda.

Is there anywhere that is well-known for hiring ex-FTA instructors?

brown_hornet
11th Sep 2007, 01:04
glekichi, most FTA instructors seem to move onto jobs in regionals rather than major carriers, though some have gone to QF. O'connors, Mac-air and Jetcraft (and probably others that I am not aware of) have taken a few over the last couple of years. As I said in my previous post, it's a great company to work for if you like instructing, just don't believe everything the company says about helping you get into the door of a major airline. If that was the case, there wouldn't be experienced grade 1's being told by airlines to come back when they have a little more charter/turbine time.
Also, the only pilots i'm aware of that have gone straight from FTA to Cathay etc were, funnily enough, management pilots at the top of the pecking order who had jet time from a previous life. I have been out of the loop for a while though so who knows in the current climate. Still, in terms of instructing gigs it's probably hard to beat in oz I would think.

TINTIN25
11th Sep 2007, 05:53
After all those negative comments about FTA maybe I shouldn't consider doing an Instructor rating there! Even with their partial scholorships it sounds like you are selling your soul to the devil by going there?

Unless it is a case of the pilot using the employer and the employer using the pilot to get what they each want which pretty much happens a lot in general aviation!

glekichi
11th Sep 2007, 07:53
Thanks for the info.
I am not so focused on flying hours any more as I am a stable employer and a reasonable salary. <$NZ30k just doesnt cut it in a country with higher living costs than OZ (well, Adelaide anyway). Having said that, the more flying the better (within reason), of course.
The blokes that did visit NZ were quite approachable and seemed very genuine. As mentioned in the previous post though, Cathay seemed like a bit of a stretch of the imagination!