PDA

View Full Version : GulfStream G2

411A
5th Feb 2001, 05:10
Our company requires a business jet with a rather large capacity (12 pax) and have narrowed the choice to the G2 (extended range). The anticipated most demanding routing would be KLAX-PHNL----RPMD. The sector PHNL-RPMD is clearly not possible non-stop and was wondering where to stop for fuel. Any ideas from you guys that fly the Pacific on a regular basis? In addition, would appreciate specific fuel flow data as well as the size of the baggage area. Also any general information on the G2 would be sincerely appreciated.

LAVDUMPER
5th Feb 2001, 20:55
411A,

For those of us who are not in the "know," where is RPMD?

I do know that a lot of G-II operators have added Aviation Partners winglets to their older airframes to extend their ranges. One operator with these winglets routinely flew southern and northern Pacific routings and never had a problem. Plus, the winglets enhance the "aesthetics."

Cheers

411A
5th Feb 2001, 21:18
LAVDUMPER
RPMD is Davao, Philippines. We will have an airline project starting there in a few months with L10 aircraft. The G2 will be used for flight crew and executive travel, as the crews will be rotated at company expense home for R&R. We thought of using a Lockheed Electra but have been unable to find a suitable airframe. The L188 would have the advantage of more baggage space for aircraft spares, but of course is a bit slower at 330 knots.

Check 6
5th Feb 2001, 21:56
Try Midway Island, complete with hotel.

Check 6

------------------
Kick the tires, light the fires, first off is lead, brief on guard.

411A
6th Feb 2001, 02:05
CHECK 6
Last time I checked, Midway was closed. Do you have any further info?

JJflyer
7th Feb 2001, 16:02
Midway is open as a civilian airport now... I have used it as fuelstop several times.
Also a good spot is Majuro ( PKMJ ), Pohnpei, Chuuk ( used to be called Truk ) I have used all of the places several times.

JJ

411A
8th Feb 2001, 16:40
Thanks JJ, much appreciated. What type do you fly?

JJflyer
8th Feb 2001, 20:50
Well at the moment a B727 driver. But been to those places with singles and twins. Sooo distances are not too great. All of the places I mentioned will accomodate a G2 easily as we have been in to som of them with the threeholer. Also Majuro has Airmike connection , they used to fly with the B727. I think they use B757 nowadays.

Also for destinations like Samoa and Fiji I found PLCH Chirstmas Island International a good spot to stop. Problem there is fuel availability as it is allover the Pacific.
If you can plan your trip well in advance it makes it easier to get fuel arranged in some of the destinations.

Most of my Pacific experience was when i delivered small airplanes.

JJ

rick1128
9th Feb 2001, 19:03
First of all if JJFLYER is taking about the Christmas Island that is south of Honolulu I would be very careful about stopping there. If scheduled and planned in advance you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Using it as an alternate can be a problem. Like no one at the airport. Also the last time I was there there were no lights. Unless you have a couple acts of god in your pocket they want cash money, preferably Aus $, but they will take USD. As for the airport personnel, they are very laid back even by African standards. Be forewarned.

A G2 with the Aviation Partners winglets is about the only aircraft out there that will do the job you require for under $10mil. I have talked with a couple of people who operated G2TT's (the ones with the tip tanks) that took the tanks off and added the winglets. Their range increased dramaticly. So the winglets are the way to go there.

Be careful out there.

mutt
10th Feb 2001, 15:49
Considering that a G2 will cost as much as a L1011, how can you justify this as a crew transport aircraft?

Mutt

411A
10th Feb 2001, 22:05
Very simple, that's what the stockholders want, and it will be used for crew transport only every month, the rest of the time for exec travel, ALL tax deductable. We have also been looking at the Lockheed 1329 JetStar, it has the range, is stage-three compliant already (with 731 engines), can be made RVSM compliant with reasonable cost, and is half the price. Our crews are VERY important, as a small company they can make or break, and will be paid well BUT expected to work rather long duty hours with no complaint.