PDA

View Full Version : Working in PNG/AFRICA/AUSTRALIA/CANADA/USA

hogespa28
30th May 2007, 04:46
Hi, I'm going to finnally be getting my CPL towards the end of this year and am starting to wonder about where the first job is going to come from? I was planning on travelling few a few months with a round the world ticket until I found someone willing to take on a low hour pilot.

The question is where should i start/go and what will be required to make my aussie cpl valid in another countrie?

Does this actually seem realistic or should stick to trying to get some hours in Australia before heading off overseas?

Is there any ratings that you would think are vital before leaving? I will only have a bare bones cpl and night vfr at this stage.

Thanks in advance, Mark

dartagnan
30th May 2007, 08:59
hi

I think you best chance is Africa.
other "civilized" countries will ask you for work permit, green card, work visas, etc.

good luck:ok:

redsnail
30th May 2007, 12:39
g'day Hoges,
I am assuming that Camden is the Camden near Sydney, not London*.

If so, get your CPL, Dangerous goods, First Aid Certificate, any thing and get yourself up to the Kimberley or FNQ as soon as you can post New Year. Unbelievably, the guys in Kunu's have had to advertise for a pilot!!! Night VFR is also usefull too but if you have an IR then you can get by but watch the recency on it.

If you can get 10 hours on a C206 or C210, even better. 5 would do, but 10 would be nice. It'll give you the confidence to handle it, practise short field landings in them etc.

There are distinct signs of a shortage of good pilots happening in Oz.

*If it's the one in London then you'll need a visa for Oz.
Africa's the go for low houred guys. PNG won't look at you until you have 1,000 hours. Too many deaths.

hogespa28
30th May 2007, 14:56
Hi, thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll be heading up north asap! Was planning on doing a c206 rating anyhow so good to know that i was on the right track. Hadn't thought of the dangerous goods but makes sense now you mention it.

You were right about Camden near Sydney however I've moved to Melbourne and am training out at Essendon now.

Any ideas where I can do a C206 rating down here?

Thanks again

redsnail
30th May 2007, 16:01
No idea, I'm afraid I don't live in Australia, let alone Melbourne any more. Ask in the Dunnunda forums.

I spent about 2 years in Kununurra and while it was often hard hot work, it's great fun and you do learn a lot. I then spent another 2 1/2 years in Broome. :ok:

geordie77
30th May 2007, 16:27
Hi,

I was just wondering if I stand a better chance gaining employment in Canada as opposed to the UK? My mother is Canadian so I automatically have citizenship. Any thoughts on this?

Lee